Cold all the time.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixelgrowth

Hello. I had a mechanical avr done on Friday and I've been cold ever since. I was released from the hospital yesterday which was great. My vitals have been normal and I feel relatively okay. Obviously I'm very sore and tired. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if it's the medicine or just my body healing.

Yes, I had a lot of trouble with not being too cold or too warm.

It's also why they monitoryou a lot directly afte surgery
Okay they sent me home pretty early mostly because I've had no problems being mobile. Walkings been good. Even took a walk around my block this morning. But I'll keep monitoring my vitals just in case. I'm sure the 7 new meds they gave me don't help my body be less confused 😂

Okay they sent me home pretty early mostly because I've had no problems being mobile
wow, that was a short time, OHS on Friday and home less than 5 days later.

I guess that you'll be feeling weak still and so just take your time on things. One can't understand how much shock your body has gone through, but the ICU system is well worked out now.

Do pay attention to it if you get "fevers" or "night sweats" ... without much delay (days not minutes) report this to your team.

Best Wishes

personally I sweated so much under my blankets at the hospital I felt colder because the "body fluids proof plastic covers" on the mattresses under just a single sheet made me more wet than "warm and dry"

My heart itself feels better than it did last week.
well that's good news!!

Onward and Upward
1715122924132.png

wow, that was a short time, OHS on Friday and home less than 5 days later.

Exactly. This was similar to my experience too but I was out in exactly 4 days. Our healthcare system is silo’d here in the USA. Get you in. Get you out. “I did my part now it’s up to others”. Nobody really caring about you and your entire journey.

I can’t say enough bad stuff about how it works here.

And as others here already know, I was released from the hospital with an INR of 1 with no plan or appointments or ANYTHING to get me to where I needed to be. Makes me so mad when I reflect on it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Exactly. This was similar to my experience too but I was out in exactly 4 days. Our healthcare system is silo’d here in the USA. Get you in. Get you out. “I did my part now it’s up to others”. Nobody really caring about you and your entire journey.

And as others here already know, I was released from the hospital with an INR of 1 with no plan or appointments or ANYTHING to get me to where I needed to be. Makes me so mad when I reflect on it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Luckily my experience was pretty good. Hospitals and medical staff are very hot or miss here though. Luckily my inr was 2.5 when I left and I have a home nurse coming twice a week to measure it. And as far as getting out in 3/4 days they asked if I felt comfortable to go home. If not I could stay longer. But I was pretty bored and felt great.

Hello. I had a mechanical avr done on Friday and I've been cold ever since. I was released from the hospital yesterday which was great. My vitals have been normal and I feel relatively okay. Obviously I'm very sore and tired. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if it's the medicine or just my body healing.
Normal after surgery to be cold, the body has been through trauma of surgery. Give a few days and your body will be feeling better.

I think it varies hospital by hospital. I think that the major hospitals in CA generally have a good reputation. At UCLA I was not rushed out at all. After 5 days, they gave me the choice whether to stay or leave. I had afib in ER, which came back briefly in the step down unit. On day 5, Saturday, I was feeling good and had been in regular sinus rhythm for 24 hours. They said that I could go home if I wanted or if I wanted I could wait until it had been 48+ hours with no sign of afib. I opted to stay. Even though the afib was well controlled with meds, if I had another episode I wanted to be in the hospital. Sunday afternoon is not the best time to check out, as they are short on case workers, so it ended up being a Monday check out- 7 days after being admitted.

I was released from the hospital with an INR of 1 with no plan or appointments or ANYTHING to get me to where I needed to be. Makes me so mad when I reflect on it. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Similar to what Chuck C described, the Mayo Clinic handled my release very well. BEFORE surgery I was told the various criteria for release, which included my INR being in range Also I had to be mobile, have adequate balance, have no Afib for some number of days, have a stable pulse, etc.

My takeaway from this is for potential surgery patients to find a good surgeon AND a good hospital.

I think it varies hospital by hospital. I think that the major hospitals in CA generally have a good reputation.
As another data point, I wasn't rushed at Kaiser Santa Clara either. The support staff was excellent. Both occupational therapists and the PT expert had to clear me before the discharge. At the end they seem to be just waiting for my weight to get back to normal. Until the attending learned about the lung volume with the spirometer exercise. That (maybe) tipped the scale.

Latest posts

Back