Coaguchek Softclix lancets

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An update and two thoughts. First, I have still not had any luck convincing Roche in Canada or the US to sell me yellow lancets, or even to direct me to where I can buy them. I did get a quick response from Roche USA (I got no answer at all from Montreal). A very helpful woman there offered to send me some blue lancets, which she insists are the correct lancets for the Coaguchek, despite no knowing the gauge. It's a start but far from a solution to what seems a very simple problem - where can I buy the yellow lancets?- note I said 'seems'!
First thought is that many have expressed something just a bit short of horror at the idea of using a lancet more than once, and that seems a bit silly to me. I haven't generally done that but the only 'contamination' they are exposed to is the blood of my freshly sanitized finger. Not only that but they don't penetrate deeply, and the path they take is immediately washed with the escaping blood. As I said I don't, but I really don't think it's a big deal, or that my pharmacist was wrong to suggest it when training me in the use of the meter. (I did several finger sticks there with him that day and used the same lancet for them all.)
Second thought is that this difficulty I am having must indicate the relative rarity of these machines. I know that every pharmacy I enter is full of blank stares when I ask about our specific lancets. The people behind the counters have never even heard of the machines. The total I have checked in now must be 15 or more. Anyone have stats on how widely distributed these things are, especially among the general populace? (I assume that clinics buy direct from the source.)
Hmmm...I think I'll keep looking for the 21g generics mentioned by ProtimeNow. I don't want the single use devices because they seem wasteful to me. I'd rather throw away the little bit than the whole kit each time.

Paul, I don't know why Roche Montreal hasn't answered you. Is that where you bought your monitor?
The one time that my pharmacy didn't have my yellow lancets, I called Roche Montreal and the girl
put a box in the mail for me the same day. (I haven't tried to email them-I prefer to call and get immediate action).

It may also be helpful to take your lancing device with you when you shop for lancets - you may be able to match them in the store, if you're allowed to open the box.

Pharmacy employees and pharmacists at several pharmacies have told me if you open the box, you've bought it. It can't be sold to someone else. I had asked the same thing.

Right.

However, some pharmacies may also have boxes that others have open and left behind - or possibly even samples behind the counter to check for matches.

Also - if the person doesn't remember the name of the lancing device, most boxes list the ones that they are compatible with.

I haven't looked into which lancing devices try to keep their lancet attachments proprietary (so you can ONLY use THEIR lancets), but would be surprised if many 'universal' lancets didn't work in these devices.

(C'mon gang, we're talking about a small device that cuts a small slit in a fingertip. The ones that come with blood glucose meters will work if you can get the right sized lancet. The glucose machine makers might even send one for no charge if you ask nicely. To my mind, the most important factors are a) depth (can the lancet go deeply enough to make an incision that will produce enough blood); b) gauge supported (can you get a 21 or 26 gauge lancet for the device); c) accuracy (can you easily position the lancet in the spot where you really want the incision cut? I have one device that doesn't make it real easy); d) 'pain' (most of the lancets and lancing devices I've used don't produce what I'd call 'pain.' It hurts more, the more you think about it. However, there may be a difference in the sensation, possibly depending on the depth of the incision and how firmly you press the device into the fingertip. It also matters where on the fingertip you press the device. This is all subjective, but there's probably truth to the idea that some lancing devices may produce less 'pain' than others). If you absolutely must have the Roche Yellow lancets, you may be able to find a medical supplier - or perhaps a local pharmacy - online who either has them or can get them for you.)

Pharmacy employees and pharmacists at several pharmacies have told me if you open the box, you've bought it. It can't be sold to someone else. I had asked the same thing.

The first time when I had to order more lancets the pharmacy brought in the wrong kind/color. I even used one to see if it would produce the same drop. It didn't. I returned them with no problems and they did bring in the proper yellow lancets.

The first time when I had to order more lancets the pharmacy brought in the wrong kind/color. I even used one to see if it would produce the same drop. It didn't. I returned them with no problems and they did bring in the proper yellow lancets.

Perhaps it's different in Canada.
I was told at a Walgreen's, Walmart and Kroger's pharmacy that once I bought the needles, they were mine -- regardless if they were compatible with my device. I could NOT return them if the box was opened.

So I googled the name of my lancing device and determined what was compatible and bought a box of 21 guage at a Walgreen's during a sale with the 2nd box 50% off. I have about 150+ lancing needles left, plus a box of smaller needles that will work in a pinch.

I would expect that pharmacies would destroy opened boxes of the needles.......

Part of what may make it almost seem reasonable for pharmacies to NOT throw out open boxes is the fact that each lancet is sealed during manufacture. In order to use the lancet, you have to twist off the plastic cap. The plastic against the metallic tip of the lancet is so tight that it probably doesn't allow any contamination and remains sterile until you twist the cap off.

Although a pharmacy may not be able to resell an open box, the lancets are probably safe to use -- I only hope that these 'spoiled' lancets are given to clinics with low budgets and high needs and that some practical use can still be gotten from them.

The usual box of lancets holds 100 lancets -- even at a test a week, one box should last almost two years. If a person buys a few boxes of the 21 gauge, this means you've probably got many years of lancets for future testing. Hunting a little for the correct lancet probably wouldn't need repeating for quite some time, once you find the lancets you seek.

A quick update to my little dilemma. Someone at Roche in the US was kind enough to send me a small bag of the single use lancet devices (the type I could have bought online but weren't my first choice.) I have used them twice now, and have noticed two things about them. They hurt less (possibly a finer gauge), and don't necessarily produce a good drop through my calloused fingers. I had my refillable lancet device set pretty deep and always got the drop I needed first try. I have blown two strips using the new ones. What I have learned is to use my third finger which has less callus.

Yeah, I hate wasting strips if I'm unable to get a large enough drop on the small spot on my CoaguChek S strip. At five bucks or so, it's real annoying.

You're probably right - those single use devices that Roche sent you might, possibly, be a smaller gauge, or they're just not set to go deeply enough into your skin to get through the callouses. Finding a finger, as you did, with less callous may be the way to go - and third party lancing devices and 21 gauge lancets may be all you need to get enough blood from that third finger.

Latest posts

Back