Coaguchek II Testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjune1961

I have received the coaguchek II monitor. I have gone over it with my coumadin nurse last Tuesday at the lab. Problem, I am not good even with one on one basic training. Must have missed something about the lancet part. I poked my own finger last week and drew blood as supposed to. Today, my first time on my own, I could not get four lancets to work for me. I took the blue tip off and pressed down on the blue button and nothing. Is it me or the lancets? Also, I had the test strip in the monitor and it counted down and then showed error. Is that test strip not good anymore, I put the monitor back in the case and closed the case. Should I take it out of the machine. Sorry to sound illiterate but I have mental blocks when it comes to directions. Thanks for any help.

Carla.

I think your lancer may be different than mine....I unscrew the tip, push in a lancet, twist off the needle tip protector, then screw the top back on all the way until it clicks.
Then when I hold it on my finger I press the blue button and it will stick me. I have the lancer setting on number 3.5 to ensure a good enough drop of blood.

Carla, does your lancet have a depth adjustment? It sounds like it is not going deep enough to prick your finger. Take a look at it and see where the dial is set. You are not illiterate, we have all had these problems when we first got out tester. Take a deep breath and relax.

I don't have an answer on if the test strip is bad now or not, as I have the INRatio one and with that one, as long as I had not applied a sample to it, it would be fine for a little while.

Coaguchek II

Coaguchek II

The monitor is a XS. There is no depth adjuster on the lancets. They are small, white and with a blue button/cap on the top of it and on the bottom there is a blue stick that comes out, when you take it out, there is a needle up in the the tube. The strips have a good expiration date and match the lot number on the bottle, took the strip out of the monitor and it is off.

Carla.

Coaguchek II

Coaguchek II

The box says coaguchek safety lancets by roche(disposable), the directions say to twist off protective cap, place against fingertip and press blue trigger button into fingertip. Tried that, blue trigger button would not push needle out as stated before. I don't know how to post a link to the product. I found this info at www.cliawaived.com under prothrombin monitoring. If you could maybe look at the picture of them, maybe you have seen them before? Thanks for all of your help, too.

Carla.

Carla.......I use this one:

Accu-Chek Soft-Touch Lancet Device by Roche Diagnostics. "An easy, comfortable way to obtain blood from the fingertip. Easy to use. Five depth selections. "

I'm not familiar with the type lancet you're using, but thought I'd pass along how mine works -- very simple. You can get one at your local pharmacy for under $20. It works on the 'gun' principal.. You load it, cock it and shoot..:eek::D

Wish you were closer -- I'd help you in person.

Carla, I looked at the picture, but I have never used those or know how they are used. From reading the directions online, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

If you want, I would go to a drug store, and see the pharmacist and tell them what you need. They normally have lancing devices and the thin lancet's as well. They are not very expensive. The one I have I just throw away the little pin part, but keep the device. It has a dial on it to adjust the depth of the cut. Diabetics use these as well, so they are easy to find.

A lancing device should run about $10, and the lancet's are about $5-6 for 100 of them.

Here is what my lancer looks like, http://www.shopqas.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=149 and here are what the lancet needles look like http://www.shopqas.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=24&idproduct=151.

One other thought, why not take a lancet to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to show you what you might be doing wrong (of if they are defective somehow).

It appears that Carla has the lancets that can be used without the pens.
I'm sorry, but I don't know how those operate.
Heck, sterilise a sewing needle, wash your hands and stick your finger...end of problem.
Then I can "walk you through" the testing machine part. I have never spoiled a test.

Coaguchek II

Coaguchek II

I am at work right now, but when I get home I will check another from the box, the above products are looking good at the moment. And I will ask my pharmacist also. It was an idea to run to one at lunch time, but it is probably better to go home and check the ones I have first. As long as I can test tomorrow and call it in. By the way, the nurse and lab tech both checked my machine against the clinic's and there is a .10? of a difference. I test 3.0 on theirs and 2.9 on mine last Tuesday. That is good to know. I have waited since February going through red tape to get this machine to home monitor and the nurse last week told me only to call in my readings, not to come back to the clinic unless she lets me know if I need to. Quite a turnaround from post surgery 19 months ago, been through a lot with unstable readings and not being allowed to eat greens until recently, I want to stabilize my dosage and get used to testing on my own.

Carla.

Coaguchek II

Coaguchek II

Bina, those are the ones that I have. Just wish I had some more here with me. Want to get this over with already. But I do need to do some work since I am here. When I get/need to do something, I am obsessed until it is finished. Hoping the next one will work out.

Carla.

Those safety cliks, you should push the blue tip to the end of the white case against your finger, then push the thumb trigger. I had those at the old clinic I went to.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

The monitor is a XS. There is no depth adjuster on the lancets. They are small, white and with a blue button/cap on the top of it and on the bottom there is a blue stick that comes out, when you take it out, there is a needle up in the the tube. The strips have a good expiration date and match the lot number on the bottle, took the strip out of the monitor and it is off.

Carla.

Hi June,
Do the blue and white "stickers" look like the letter T with the blue flat part (what you depress) on the opposite end of where the needle is? If so I just pricked myself with one and it is difficult to see any blood--certainly not enough for a test. I've had them for a long time and Ithink they are for glucose testing..

You're probably better off with the Softclix pen with a depth adjusment. I'm typing away here and there still isn't enough blood for a test--I've bled more from black-fly bites. And the lancettes for the pen are a fraction of the cost of the capital T. Now the bleeding has stopped completely. No wonder you're having problems.

I have gone over it with my coumadin nurse last Tuesday at the lab. Problem, I am not good even with one on one basic training. Must have missed something about the lancet part. I poked my own finger last week and drew blood as supposed to.

Carla:
Have you been trained by an RN through CoaguChek's training program? Your post doesn't mention anyone coming to you or being trained via phone. Seems that CoaguChek sends an RN to you; with INRatio, the nurse walks you through it over the phone.

This is before you take your unit to your doctor's office to demonstrate you can do a test.

Coaguchek II

Coaguchek II

Catwoman:I had no one to come to train me. My insurance did not go with QAS as I was hoping, went through a medical supply company here in Garland, they delivered the machine to me and gave me an extra instruction manual. I went to my nurse and lab tech at Baylor and they went through the procedure with me, and I had a lapse of momentary reason when listening apparently. These are the t types and I tried to push and anything else to get it to work, will try another or two when I get home. If not working, I will purchase one of the other types mentioned above. This will work out eventually.

Carla.

the things you have are for the Coaguchek, which is for testing INR; the diabetes ones are finer and shorter. I have a pen-type, the lances go in, then you twist the head off, then you put the thing back on the pen, and twist it (to load it) then you just press it against your finger, press the blue button and WHACK it pricks you - I always have a Kleenex handy! Mine came with my kit, along with a few lances, loads of paper, a case and other junk.

You can search Roche's website, you may be able to find a certified trainer in a pharmacy, and you can take your machine there and have more training. I also got a DVD to help. Once you "get it" it will be a piece of cake, and no more trips to the lab, either YAAAYYYYYY

You are so far away, but I can get down there about the same time as the first snow flies up here and show you . . .tee hee Maybe Bina, Lance, Ross and I could carpool ....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back