Coag sense discontinues old model

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krosson62

Last year I bought a coag sense monitor and a couple months later found out that as of October 2023 the test strips will no longer work on this model. I have bought another model but recently seen where the old model is still being offered for sale on eBay with no mention of the strips no longer working. So if you have a monitor or are planning to buy your own monitor avoid the ones that look like the picture below.

Attachments

• 17059412494317843659691924014805.jpg
    17059412494317843659691924014805.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Interesting. So there are no strips available that will work with this model? Or they're hard to get (or hard to identify)?

From the Canadian web site.

CoaguChek® XS​

Please note: The CoaguChek® XS is no longer available for purchase but continues to be supported by Roche Diagnostics.

The CoaguChek® XS system makes coagulation self-testing easy for patients. It can also be used for point-of-care testing in low-volume clinics.

Are we talking CoagSense or Coaguchek as both exist and are different parent companies.

The machine is replaced by the INRange which is actually cheaper (at least in Australia)

From the Canadian web site.

CoaguChek® XS​

Please note: The CoaguChek® XS is no longer available for purchase but continues to be supported by Roche Diagnostics.

The CoaguChek® XS system makes coagulation self-testing easy for patients. It can also be used for point-of-care testing in low-volume clinics.

You should have asked here

Hope you didn't pay much for it.

They are rubbish anyway, so you have saved yourself from harm in some ways.
Last year I bought a coag sense monitor and a couple months later found out that as of October 2023 the test strips will no longer work on this model. I have bought another model but recently seen where the old model is still being offered for sale on eBay with no mention of the strips no longer working. So if you have a monitor or are planning to buy your own monitor avoid the ones that look like the picture below.
Best Wishes

This doesn't surprise me. It doesn't surprise me that Coagusense didn't make any effort that I can tell to let its users of the PT1 meter know that the new strips won't work in it.

When Roche discontinued the CoaguChek S, there was a lot of advanced notice given.

But on eBay, I'm still seeing models as old as the original CoaguChek meter, the InRatio, and other old, discontinued meters and accessories for sale. Some sellers don't know - others just don't care.

I'm sorry to partially contradict Pellicle....a decade ago, I went on a quest to determine which meter to trust with my life. The two contenders boiled down to the CoaguChek XS and the Coag-Sense. I chose the Coag-Sense because the results were slightly lower than the XS (sometimes) and labs seemed to be an average of the two. I'd prefer to have a meter that slightly understates my INR to one that overstates it - so that I can be comfortable that my INR won't drop TOO low and put me into a dangerous area.

With new management, things changed. The Coag-Sense was delivering results a full point below the XS. This was too much for me. Tech support didn't care, telling me to 'add 1' to the result to get an accurate result.

I stopped using the Coag-Sense - and I have two of the new model - PT2 - that I'll probably never buy strips for and may not use again.

So - for a while, at least, I don't think that Coag-Sense was garbage. I won't use one now.

I'm sticking with Roche - and as I noted in a post on a different thread - I may have sold out and gotten a prescription from my cardiologist. I may get an InRatio and a supply of strips - as long as there's no out of pocket to pay.

Last edited:
Roche started telegraphing that they were discontinuing the XS a few years ago, when they 'dumped' meters (I can't say this for sure) with missing strip guides and battery covers. They may not have counted on purchasers asking for new strip guides for these 'disabled' meters, or for sellers to figure out how to easily override the strip guide switch.

Perhaps they waited until their XS inventory was low enough that they could discontinue it.

Now, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the gray market to start selling the InRange (but if eBay continues blocking the sale of these meters, this may be moot).

I just tested with a strip that expired in 10/18 on an OLD meter. My INR two days ago was 3.3. The test with the OLD strips gave me a 3.0. (I took two amoxicillin for a sinus infection since then, so the results may have varied a bit). The results today with the old strips, and two days ago with current strips are within the 20% line for accuracy.

A few years ago, I was sent some expired strips, and somehow I had a chip that matched the lot number of the old strips. IIRC, the results still seemed to be pretty accurate. I know that there's really no way to get expired strips, but I suspect that even strips that are a few years old would probably be in the 20% range. For me, as long as the result is above 2.5 or so (and certainly not near 2.0), I may even put some trust in the old strips) -- although for most of us, it would be worth the extra 'small' amount of money - to get new, unexpired strips.

Back