Catheter-Inserted Valves?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Magnus

I read an article on MSNBC (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12068470/) about aortic valve trials inserting the valve via an artery into the aortic position and then inflating the collapsed valve with a balloon. Apparently they've done this to about 20 people who had no other hope for surgery. My question is: Does anyone know how these valves stay in place? I can't imagine they could also suture the valves through a catheter. Couldn't a valve that has been "wedged" in place come loose easily?

Hi Magnus,
I have been wondering the exact same thing. My surgeon told me since I have chosen a tissue valve tha I may be a good canidate for this in 10 - 15 years. It does sound a bit spooky.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I?ve always wondered whenever replacement via catheter is brought up. Does this method work for RE-replacements? By the time my tissue valve needs to be replaced (in 5-10 years), it?ll be coated in scar tissue and/or rock solid with calcification. I assume that the old prosthetic valve needs to come out, so this current technique doesn?t sound like it?ll work for re-ops, which is what tissue valvers face...(?)

Latest posts

Back