Cardiac rehab?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bravo64

I've already posted on the rehab forum, however, I thought I'd get more response here.
My wife is approximately 4-weeks post op. she had avr and is recovering very well. She just received a prescription for cardiac rehab, however, we are having a difficult time locating a facility near our home. The hospital where she had her surgery is about 3-hrs from our home, so the doctors there weren't able to recommend a facility near our home. Is there anyone that resides in central Florida, more specifically, near cocoa beach area that might be able to recommend a place? We checked with the insurance company, however, they just referred us to her plan booklet which wasn't helpful. I didn't see any facilities that specified, cardiac. Thanks in advance.

bravo64, I can't offer much advice as to cardiac rehab sites since I'm on the other coast. Any, are you able to do a clinic search on your wife's insurance web-site to get an idea on what rehab sites are near you? If so then possibly you could call them and question them on their specialties. Be sure to specify that she is rehabing for valve replacement and not CABG. Most of the times they can deal with by-pass surgery patients but aren't always prepared for valve replacement folks. I wish you well in finding someone to help the Mrs. to get to a good rehab work. I'm pretty sure others will chime in soon also.

I think my uncle went to Health First in Cocoa Beach. Couldn't remember the name, so I did a Google search. It will come up if you look for "cardiac rehab in Cocoa Beach, FL.

I will say that it would definitely be better to go to a rehab that understands valve patients. Mine didn't, but it still served it's purpose. I gained confidence by exercising while my heart was monitored. There were parts I ignored (like diet advice) and I had to convince them that it was OK for me to push it a little harder than other patients, but it worked.

Hope you find something!

Do any local hospitals do heart surgey? If so I would probably contact them to see if they have cardic rehab. I dont know your area, but if it helps here is the lik to the US news best hospitals by location hopefully one of the metro area has heart hospitals close to you http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area

Last edited:
Back