can you ruin a valve repair by exercising too hard?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gym Guy,
I have a porcine valve. I thought I was told I was getting a cow valve and had all my jokes lined up (like Robin Williams who I believe also has a cow valve) but when I got a copy of the report saw the word "porcine" I had to rethink everything. Now when I go to the NY State Fair I make sure to visit the swine area and express gratitude to my brothers and sisters there. I was a couple weeks short of my 58th birthday when I had my surgery (aortic valve and upper aorta replaced) and turned 60 this past February.
Richard

Hey Tom,
Are you doing the Mountain Goat? I'm not signed up yet but think I probably will. (For those of you not in Central New York, and I think that's probably almost everyone else reading this, the Mountain Goat Run is a 10 mile road race through the city of Syracuse, New York that hits some big hills).
Richard Gardner

Ummm. . . not to be a wet blanket (former gym rat, myself) but read the history on Arnold Schwartzenegger (not sure of spelling). IIRC, he had his valve replaced, then quickly went back to heavy lifting. He ended up having it replaced a second time very soon after the first, due to some sort of damage done due to heavy lifting too soon.

Moral of his story, I guess, is not to push too hard too soon.

I couldn't push too hard too soon -- they wouldn't turn up my pacemaker until they felt I had healed enough!

I thought Arnold had second replacement due to an accident and also the longevity of the valve was reaching it's limits. Please keep in mind that Arnold was an avid steroid user so these things might have had effects as well.

Today was my first day or cardiac rehab and I really didn't enjoy it. everyone kept commenting on how young I was and how I shouldn't be there. Everyone was very friendly and I was accepted with open arms but it made me feel kinda crappy about myself. They made me do very light exercises and keep my heart rate low. I understand why they do this but when I'm at the gym i go at a reasonable pace and break a sweat which feels great. I do not discount the benefits of cardiac rehab and how they can helpa person recovering from ohs, but I realised it is just not for me.

I too am 25, and am in CR. I get the young remarks also. It's always done in a respectable, and I feel caring matter. However some of the people there have been there 22 years, and it kind of brings me down a tad to realize that unfortunately this is something I had to deal with in my life at such a young age.

True, Folks - I was not trying to imply that we shouldn't push hard because of what happened to Arnold. I was just trying to make the point that there are limits, so we should be watchful. I think cardio rehab is a great way to do just that. I also had a great rapport with my rehab team, and whenever they asked "Can you. . . ?" my answer was always "Bring it on!"

I sort of hit a plateau in training to get back to running due to knee pain, but I'm working my way past some of that now. I have a lot of ground to regain, but if I can keep the pain at bay I will make it. Currently jogging at a 12:00 pace, working on endurance. The pacemaker may need some additional tweaking.

Glad you went to rehab!

As others mentionned previously, make sure you discuss the reasons yo are there with the physiotherapists. Most people are there for bypass and heart attack issues, yo have a valve replacement. This means different things in terms of rehab. Your age is also another factor to consider.

I'm not saying that you should ignore what they say, I'm just suggesting that you are open and honest about what you are there for, and that you want someone who knows about valve recovery as opposed to bypass recovery. What is their experience? Can they help put together a program for you and your goals? Bring in some research (others here can probably help), and a game plan to get you where you want to be and have them evaluate it (and yoru cardio).

Latest posts

Back