can you recommend a regime?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynnconnolly

Hi all, since I got ill with my heart problems, I've lost a lot of physical condition so I wondered if anyone can recommend a regime of how to regain some muscle tone and strength? Is there anything I should definitely avoid or anything I should definitely do? I've started walking more often but it's things like weights, aerobics, sit-ups... things I used to do but I'm not sure if I should do now?

I have aortic and mitral regurg which is classed now as moderate and tricuspid that's mild. In addition, slight pulmonary hypertension.

I did ask my cardiologist these things but he just said to walk for half a mile, then a mile and to make myself slightly out of breath while doing so. His only other suggestion was not to lift anything heavy, but how does one define 'heavy'? Basket of laundry or shopping bag or something heavier?

All advice gratefully received :) Lynn

I did ask my cardiologist these things but he just said to walk for half a mile, then a mile and to make myself slightly out of breath while doing so. His only other suggestion was not to lift anything heavy, but how does one define 'heavy'? Basket of laundry or shopping bag or something heavier?

I say that doctors don't care enough about physical fitness to research these questions. My husband things they are deliberately vague so they don't get sued!

Anyhoo, the idea is not to strain, and the point of strain is different for everyone. Start from a weight, or type of abdominal exercise, that you can do without building a lot of pressure in your chest cavity, and work up sloooooowly from there.

Exercise that engages your entire body would be ideal. Examples are yoga (you can find adaptive yoga classes for people with various health conditions,) swimming, water aerobics (keeping your shoulders UNDER water -- again, many levels are available for this activity,) walking while doing various types of arm movements, various types of dance (belly-dance, Polynesian dance and flamenco come immediately to mind, and you need zero previous experience to join beginning classes) and horsebackriding (providing the stable has you prepare your own horse, and you can get lessons adapted to your medical needs.)

You might also find specialized gyms that cater to people who are rehabbing. I know of one, but it's in New Mexico!

Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer

I participated in my hospitals rehab program that was run in the loca university gym. After I completed the program the rehab team handed me off to a personal trainer who had been instructed by the team in what to and what not to have me work on. I feel that it was worth the investment in a trainer to get me started properly - after all who wants to get hurt by over doing it or not doing enough to improve my health.

Exercise

Exercise

Formal programs like cardiac rehab or work with some kind of exercise class can be a lot of fun and be a good place to start.

For me, the fun factor is essential. It's extremely difficult to stick with any kind of fitness program when it's not enjoyable. I'm a proponent of finding an activity that's enjoyable and doing it often. If you enjoy multiple activities, do those often.

-Philip

Lynn...if you want to lift weights you can still do so without significantly raising your heart rate and still get a good burn in your muscles. Find a weight for any given exercise where you can do 25 to 35 repetitions as a set. It might seem silly at first because the weight is light but if you focus on the form of the exercise properly by the time you get to 25 reps you will feel the muscle burn. I used to bench press my body weight prior to surgery and since I know that heavy weights are in the past for me I've spent time figuring out how to get back to building muscle and the simplist solution is light weights and lots of reps. So go back and do whatever your accustomed to and cut the weight down by 50% to 75% and try to do sets of 25. You will be surprised how you feel when you get to 20 !

As far as defining heavy goes, if you have to brace yourself to pick something up then its probably heavier than what you should be lifting. You might not brace yourself for a laundry basket but I bet most things that weigh more than 30 pounds (not sure what the is in kilos) you do. Those are the things you should probably avoid.

As far as situps go, you can still do them but don't try to knock out a zillion or go quickly, focus on your form and go slower. Once you start to strain then you stop, do something else and come back to situps later. Maybe use them as a recovery exercise between two of your weight lifting exercises.

Scott

Hi and thank you all very much for your replies. I've got a much clearer idea of what I can and can't do now. Scott, thank you for your detailed reply; I'll do as you suggest and see how it goes. I'll also give swimming a go again but as to rehab programmes, they aren't available here unless you've had surgery or a heart attack and I can't really afford to join a gym at the mo.

Thanks again everyone :)

Lynn

Latest posts

Back