Can I drink a damn beer?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With what seems like such a clear consensus on alcohols little to no effect on INR just from this groups experience, why is there so much mixed/inaccurate information out there?! I mean seriously?

Hi
almost_hectic;n857292 said:
With what seems like such a clear consensus on alcohols little to no effect on INR just from this groups experience, why is there so much mixed/inaccurate information out there?! I mean seriously?

I do not know, but I suspect:
  1. copy paste website journalism
  2. No idea but want the web traffic
  3. Precautionary principal in absence of knowing anything
  4. Have heard its been advised against but don't know why
The other reason I have heard is that if you get drunk you are more likely to have a fall, which could cause a bleed.

Taking your INR yourself and seeing how it effects you is the gold standard. Until relatively recently doctors had not the faintest idea of your INR and would use "blood in the urine" as a guide as to being too high. With no reasons to research it its easier to just say no.

So I've already been told by the nurse at my cardiologists offic that 1 or two drinks (max per day) is fine. She even warned me, don't ask the doctor (my cardiologist) he doesn't drink so he will never be an advocate for allowing it. Anyway, I don't feel the need to even have a drink yet. But prior to surgery I would have maybe four beers in an evening. Not every day, but once or twice a week. So that's not going to behave any different than one or two when it comes to INR? I don't have home monitoring yet to test it out.

Hi

almost_hectic;n858912 said:
. So that's not going to behave any different than one or two when it comes to INR? I don't have home monitoring yet to test it out.

I am really glad to read you take the attitude of wanting to test yourself to confirm things, but I am confident that you too will find that even two or three beers will have no effect on your INR. Of course your INR may change, but change from day to day is normal. When you have tested a few times and found that the change between test and retest is within normal daily variations you will begin to feel more confident about it. Its a good feeling :)

A good post to read

http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/forum/home-anticoagulation-monitoring/43179-novembinr

Latest posts

Back