Can Anyone Recommend a Good Heart Rate Monitor 4 Running

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polar F11 HR Monitor

Polar F11 HR Monitor

I have a Polar F11 HR Monitor which is more expensive than some, but one of the things I like is that the part that goes around the chest with the two electrodes is a supple elastic band, not a hard plastic thing in the front, so it is much more comfortable. Also, since I use it on the treadmill, another good thing is that it is "coded" so that another HR monitor right next to me will not interfere with it.

I have a Timex Ironman that I got for about $60 on e-bay. It also has a 30-lap memory stopwatch and all the other bells and whistles that you typically get with a regular Timex watch/stopwatch. Neither the pad or strap has every bothered me or caused any chaffing. The only annoying thing that I have found is that I get some interference if I try to wear headphones at the same time and listen to the radio (only the lower frequency stations are affected).

I think any Polar model is probably good, Stretch. Between my husband and I we've had three different models. I will say it's a pain in the tush to replace the batteries in the strap though because you have to mail it in to Polar--they're efficient about it, but you're still without your monitor for a few days. The batteries in it do last a long time--a couple years anyway. It's possible there are models that no longer mailing it in to replace the battery; I'd seek one out. The Polar ones also transmit to my treadmill--not sure if they all do--which is a nice feature.

I have a Polar S610i and a Garmin 305. I prefer the garmin because it does all kinds of other things. It is a GPS device so works off satelites for distances, pace, etc. Both Garmin and Polar have websites that you can get all kinds of info.

I have a Polar 120S that for HR function worked well pre-op but I never l never liked the way the lap/split functions operated, probably because I used a Nike watch for too many years. I also have a Garmin 305 that I use when running unknown routes; the GPS function is great. Since surgery I can't get consistant HR info from either monitor; I think this is a result of conduction problems?

It is great to hear you are running!

Philip

MikeHeim said:
The only annoying thing that I have found is that I get some interference if I try to wear headphones at the same time and listen to the radio (only the lower frequency stations are affected).

Thank you, Mike, you just figured something out for me. THere are TVs at the gym that broadcast via weak low-end FM signals so folks on the dreadmill can have some sensory diversion. I have been frustrated that I can never get CNN (88.1), just Martha Stewart, etc. that are further north on the dial. I'll have to try w/o my HRM and see if that works. I can do without the HRM on a long, boring indoor LSD run. (Be thankful you don't have "real" winter!)

I use a Polar RS100, just bought my son an RS200. His has a new strap with a replace-able battery. Both have a settable range, and include stop watch and lap timers. The RS200 saves up to 3 workouts, and has an optional GPS foot attachment.

Sounds like you are doing well.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

I'm still mostly walking, with some light jogging thrown in to make it more fun. The cardiac rehab folks told me to keep my HR down to the low 160's for now, so I'm not running yet. But did nearly eight miles a couple days ago!

I've got a Timex Ironman with 100 lap memory. Like it a lot. Have worn it in several open water triathlon swims in the Gulf of Mexico with no probs.
I like the 'time in zone' and ave HR memory functions are useful also.
The 100 lap memory is nice at the pool when I want to log all my intervals and rest periods during long swim workouts.
Just replaced the batteries in both the watch and chest strap after about 18 months or so.
Mark

I too have the Timex Ironman pacemaker and it has not worked well for me; either that or I am able to run for 20 minutes with a HR of 30-35. My case is complicated by having a pacemaker, but it was working earlier and now after about four months it generally isn't. Also it lacks what I would consider a very basic feature, an upper and lower HR alarm, which even the fairly basic Polar models have (or used to have anyway).

Vinlander

Latest posts

Back