Body Changes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

As my user name indicates, I'll be going in for my third open heart procedure, probably within a few months. I had one soon after birth, had a St. Jude aortic valve placed when I was 15, and now, at 23, am getting the aortic valve replaced.

I was wondering if you could give me a rundown of your experiences vis a vis body changes. I'm a pretty athletic kid, in good shape, and I was wondering about the experiences you all had with weight gain/loss after surgery... did you put on weight from being sedentary, or lose it from not eating/body healing?

Obviously, whatever happens will happen, because I need to be healthy, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I hope to stay in some sort of shape.

I'll be around here now that I am facing down this surgery, so I look forward to getting to know all of you!

I can tell you that my husband was very athletic prior to surgery and after surgery too. He always kept himself in shape. The only times he had weight problems were when he had too much fluid (CHF). Once that was treated he stayed slim and in shape. The fluid problems did dog him throughout his later years though.

You are young and athletic, so you have two things going for you already! I would think you will bounce back pretty quickly. I was in good shape but had a year of problems so not much exercise during that time; by the time I had OHS #2 I was in what I consider pretty bad shape, and had lost a lot of weight that I didn't need to lose in the first place. It took me 3 months to start cardiac rehab, but once I started exercising, I never stopped and it's two years later and I'm in better shape than ever. Fitness is obviously important to you, so you may have a bump in the road, but that won't change the fact once you recover.

You are young and athletic, so you have two things going for you already! I would think you will bounce back pretty quickly. I was in good shape but had a year of problems so not much exercise during that time; by the time I had OHS #2 I was in what I consider pretty bad shape, and had lost a lot of weight that I didn't need to lose in the first place. It took me 3 months to start cardiac rehab, but once I started exercising, I never stopped and it's two years later and I'm in better shape than ever. Fitness is obviously important to you, so you may have a bump in the road, but that won't change the fact once you recover.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

So you were in bad shape because you lost a lot of weight you didn't need to lose?

I'm a big biker — how long did it take you to be able to do even very light physical exercise?

So many what-ifs, but this is helping me so much!

What Nancy said. Assuming your condition post op permits you to continue your normal life (or better) your weight will be like anyone else's: dependent upon calories in vs. calories out/burned.

Myself, I'm 40 lbs lighter than I was a month prior to surgery. I'm on Weight Watchers!

The scar is simply a given, and more of an issue for women since we wear lower cut blouses, etc.

I exercise, as do most of us, whether it is a sport, or walking, or hitting the gym. It's just more important to me than to your average "healthy" person of comparable age.

Frankly, I think I'm looking durned good for turning 50 this Friday!!:p

Nice job on the weight loss — 40 pounds is impressive!

Yeah, I've dealt with the scar whole life. Should have heard the stories I told kids at summer camp about how I got it!

So how about I reframe the question this way — within the first month after surgery, did you guys experience weight gain or loss?

loss. Even though I was eating more than what I would have on Weight Watchers. Healing burns calories!

I can relate with you on all topics but hard for me to judge with recent experience.

I can tell you after my 3rd OH at age 12 I had no noticible weight gain...i was actually thinner post op. didn't really put on any real weight till college when I quit going to the gym and started lifting beers.

as far as the scars go, I liked saying I got stabbed...got more that way. :p

I had lost weight before my surgery due to the antibiotics I had for 6 wks due to BE.
I had gained back only 3 lbs before my 3rd OHS in Feb, at age 54. I tend to be slender anyway. After my surgery, I had alot of stomach upset, so I didn't eat that much, and of course the hospital food, even tho it's improved, is still not the best! So, I lost 3 lbs in 6 days, but have slowly gained back all my weight. I was given the ok to do any activity at about 6 weeks after surgery. My heart is great, and I am slowly working on my muscle toning, because I got so weak before the surgery. If I was a cyclist, I would be back at it and would feel good.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

So you were in bad shape because you lost a lot of weight you didn't need to lose?

I'm a big biker — how long did it take you to be able to do even very light physical exercise?

So many what-ifs, but this is helping me so much!

Well, I was just speaking from my experience, I had two OHS in the same year 7 1/2 months apart, hence all the down time...I wasn't in great shape b/c of a year full of issues and the two surgeries and not able to exercise b/c of symptoms. I lost weight with both surgeries and I'm thin anyways, lost muscle from not exercising. But, that is just me, and my very particular situation, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you! I was sharing my story to make the point that even someone like me starting over from scratch was able to get back into shape. Like I said you are obviously in good shape, and you're young and healthy. Many people on here are running, biking and doing all kinds of things soon after surgery, if you read under the Cardiac Rehabilitation thread you will find many inspiring people and their stories!

I had two OHS four years apart (second one was about 18 months ago) and for each, my weight did not change. For a few days post op, I had water weight from the surgery but that was all lost by the time I left the hospital. I went into my second OHS weighing exactly what I weighed going in to the first and remained that weight for months after my surgery.

Most of us walk immediately in the hospital and are urged to continue and extend the distance time of our walks after we are home. I have been a walker for years and within three weeks of my surgery, I was walking several times a day, at least two miles.

Energy and activity builds back at individual rates but you may wish to read the Active Lifestyle section of this forum to see what some of the members of VR.com accomplish. They are involved is very many, very athletic activities.

Welcome to VR.com. Really happy you found us.

My son always loses weight when he is in the hospital. I think you will bounce back pretty quickly though. It sounds like you will be going in to this very healthy. My son has major heart damage and even he bounces back pretty quickly.

A good experience all around

A good experience all around

I'm 7-months post aortic valve (tissue) replacement and feeling better than ever. Lost 10 pounds since surgery, maybe because my energy level is higher. All the other 53-year-old women I know are jealous. I am also very active - gym, hiking, clearing limbs, stairs, painting - which helps.

I went back to work 3 weeks after the hospital and back to the gym at 6 weeks. I had expected a long, painful recovery based on what I read of other people's experiences and found it neither. All that WORRY for nothing!

My biggest frustration was not being allowed to lift >15 lbs. for 6 weeks. Really hard to do when you're used to doing it.

At my follow-up with the cardiologist this week, he said I may not even have to have this valve replaced ever. Would be nice, but at least the next time I wouldn't be worried about recovery.

I believe that immediately post op I ganied some weight from fluid but not a lot. I did experience a huge loss of appetite due to foods not tasting normal at all. I could force myself to eat to stay strong but I know I was eating a lot less than normal. I did lose about 15 lbs since surgery but for me that is a good thing. I'm trying to keep it off. By now though my appetite and sense of taste has returned to normal and if I needed to gain the weight back I could do it easily but as I said I'm trying not to. Sounds like you're in a great place physically as you head into surgery. Best of luck.

Welcome ....as you visit you will learn much....lots of luck with your surgery! You have a good attitude and will bounce back fast.....Godspeed.

I'm not sure if you are still checking this. But how was your experience with your surgery when you were 15? Since it wasn't that long ago, Chances are unless you had major complication for that surgery (or this one) recovery will be close to the same. Justin usually stays close to the same weight after his surgeries.

My thoughts, for what they're worth...

Generally, the better shape you are in, the faster your recovery is. Especially for the first surgery, I walked a great deal before I went in. This second time, my symptoms were much worse, and I wasn't able to do as much beforehand. Youth is obviously a big friend to you for the surgery, speeding your healing and the return of your energy.

The exception is your rib cage. If your sternum is cut, it's at least four weeks for it to mend, and a few more weeks for you to bring it back to its fully carrying and flexibility capacity. Trying to exercise it in any weight-bearing way before the bone has fully healed can delay or even derail recovery, as the bone bond will weaken rather than strengthen (similar to flexing a piece of metal until it becomes weak, heats up, and snaps apart).

Careful upper body stretching/twisting is good, to help return flexibility and work out some of the soreness from the chest muscles, as long as you don't flail wildly or become too macho about it. Again, the issue of moving forward vs. damaging progress your body is making. You have to extend your flexibility in increments, not try to get it all back right away. You should be walking every day, with the distance and speed based on how you are feeling that day, rather than a printed schedule.

Some tips for walking:
- Start out slower, so you are sure to have energy for the return trip (you can speed up in the home stretch if you have energy to burn).
- Hit the bathroom first - they are rare out on the suburban roads.
- Walk to a place that has a halfway stopping point, if possible (like walking into town). That way you can rest before you begin your return, if you overestimated your energy that day.
- Take a cell phone and have someone you can call, if you get stuck or overtired. Don't be too proud to sit down on the curb or someone's steps, if you need to.
- If you're not feeling it that day, do short walks that day. You'll more than make up for it over time.

I am 57, and was out of the hospital three days after my first surgery (at 52) and again three days after my second surgery (three weeks ago). Both times, by the second week I was walking five miles in a day without pushing myself (very important to listen to your body on this - some days you can, some days you can't). Both times I initially lost weight (mostly from a temporary loss/warping of my sense of taste), and the first time put most of it back on over time. I have yet to see if I will put it back on this time (betcha I will).

Basically, I subscribe to the "move it or lose it" theory of recovery. However, I add the corollary, "abuse it and it will abuse you right back." The tiny muscles (intercostals) in your rib cage can completely immobilize you in pain, if you overagitate them and they spasm. They're already irritated from their positioning during surgery. They can actually make you feel like you are having a heart attack, like a giant hand is holding you down and keeping you from drawing a full breath. So, regain your flexibility in increments.

At your age, you may well be feeling fully physically competent after two months. Your body should continue to add to your capacity for about a year after surgery, as it adjusts the size of your ventricle and realigns itself with its new plumbing.

Best wishes,

Welcome, I'm 30 years old and when I went in for my surgery 6.5 weeks ago, I was in great shape, I played basketball and stayed active prior. Since surgery all I have noticed is a very slight weight loss (from 190 to 185), I'm 6'1", so 5 lbs isn't much. I think I may have lost a little muscle just from not using it, but my wife says I look the same, except for the zipper in the middle.

My thoughts are that walking can be used as a replacement for other activities until you are able to do more. I used to play 1.5 hours of basketball 3-4 days a week, and now, instead I walk 2 hours a day, every day. I think my calorie burn is about the same, so it works out. My doc said once I hit the 8 week mark I can start jogging. I'm very excited, but my chest does still hurt a little, so I'm trying not to push it.

Latest posts

Back