Black Cohash and Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day weekend--I for one love 3-day weekends!! Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows of any interaction with the herbs black cohash and red clover with coumadin. I haven't been able to find anything specific but want to know something before starting a regimen versus HRT. Also how about Chai Ta? Great stuff, and I would hate to have to give it up. I am going to ask my INR vampire the next time I see her, but thought maybe I could also see if anyone has used or is using these herbal substances and what, if any, coumadin interaction effects. Thanks!! Susan:confused:

Susan:
I checked some of the materials that I have and searched some sites, including www.healthandage.com. I found, "There are no known scientific reports of interactions between black cohash and conventional medications." The opposite is true for red clover. Red clover is listed on every site as having interactions, possibly sever interactions with Coumadin/Warfarin. It contains large amounts of coumarin, from which the anticoagulant drug is derived. I would say, avoid the red clover.

There is nothing directly on point regarding Chai Tea, probably because it contains a variety of ingredients which can vary according to which recipe you use. But, in my travels I kept seeing benefits of Chai Tea that included references to such things as "cleanses the blood and increases blood flow," etc.
That throws up a red flag for me. Some of the recipes that I saw used some green tea, Guarana, and Ginger (among other things).
Those three ingredients have been listed as potentiating anticoagulant and antiplatelet properties in the blood. Also, I do believe that cardamon and camomile also contain coumarin. I would feel very uncomfortable using commercial mixes for Chai Tea. You might, however, consider developing your own recipe and eliminating problematic elements. I don't know of any anticoagulant interactions with orange peel, vanilla, whole cloves, and cinnamon, which are common elements of Chai Tea.

Also, moderation is the key. If the Chai Tea is special for you, you might want to have a small amount every day and have your Coumadin/Warfarin dose adjusted.

Kind regards,
Blanche

Black Cohosh

Black Cohosh

Hi,

I did a check on my PDR for black cohosh and it said there may be an interaction with the coumadin because of the anti-coagulation properties of the black cohosh.

I was told not to use Chia tea because of the green tea in it.

My book says that black cohosh, aka: baneberry, bugwort, squawroot, rattleroot, can be an antihyperlipidemic meaning it can lower your cholesterol. There is no mention of interaction with Coumadin. It can also decrease the response to estogen.

Thanks everyone--I really appreciate the input. Fortunately I don't drink enough Chia Tea to make any difference, but I'm still deciding on the black cohash issue. I may just try it and see what happens. Over the pst 4-1/2 years I have put various food items back into my diet with little effect so don't mind being a little daring now and again--one thing at a time. Thanks, Susan:cool:

Latest posts

Back