Bikram yoga?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrocknj

Hi all, I am 61 year old women who received a bovine valve last year to replace my BAV, I am 11 months post op and feel great.....well, except for those nights when I lie awake listening to my heart and wondering how this all happened to me and marveling at what I went through, and how my heart can actually be beating with a cow valve....but please know I do feel such gratitude ...it all still amazes me.....my question is if anyone knows why my doctor thinks I should not do Bikram Yoga....the room is 106 degrees and 40 percent humidity....he is not just opposed to me doing it but he thinks no one should be doing it....even folks with perfect hearts...I told him I am not a fool....if I feel dizzy or sick when I try it, then I know I cannot do it....but if I feel OK, why can't I do it.....please note I did it before my surgery with his permission and loved it.....so my question is does heat cause accelerated calcification or can anyone tell me what he thinks the issue is besides his belief that it is bad for everyone ....I love my doctor and really trust him but I think he may be overly cautious here.....does anyone here do Bikram post op? Thanks a million!

Hi all, I am 61 year old women who received a bovine valve last year to replace my BAV, I am 11 months post op and feel great.....well, except for those nights when I lie awake listening to my heart and wondering how this all happened to me and marveling at what I went through, and how my heart can actually be beating with a cow valve....but please know I do feel such gratitude ...it all still amazes me.....my question is if anyone knows why my doctor thinks I should not do Bikram Yoga....the room is 106 degrees and 40 percent humidity....he is not just opposed to me doing it but he thinks no one should be doing it....even folks with perfect hearts...I told him I am not a fool....if I feel dizzy or sick when I try it, then I know I cannot do it....but if I feel OK, why can't I do it.....please note I did it before my surgery with his permission and loved it.....so my question is does heat cause accelerated calcification or can anyone tell me what he thinks the issue is besides his belief that it is bad for everyone ....I love my doctor and really trust him but I think he may be overly cautious here.....does anyone here do Bikram post op? Thanks a million!

Hi,
I havetaken hot yoga in the past( before my AVR). I am sticking to regular hatha because I have known a few people get injuries from hot yoga. . It sounds like your doctor would not endorse bikram to anyone.howeveryou are using your common sense and listening to your body.

Hey Shamrock, I actually did try the Bikram Yoga with a couple of friends and never had a problem..other than sweating my tail off! I was around 5 months post op when I did it back in January. I actually enjoyed it and had four visits. Was a good workout for the winter months. I think it helped my recovery. It seemed easier to stretch everything out once everything warmed up and sweat started rolling. It also felt really good to move everything. I may do it again this winter..

I think your doctor is worried about the heat and humidity. It is potentially dangerous, if you're not careful.
A few years ago some guy died in a 'sweat lodge' here.
Men in Japan do the 'hot coals' thing (I don't know what it's called), before venturing out in the snow. Apparently, this has a mortality rate.

I personally try to stay away from the heat and humidity....since my surgery I've noticed that my running times are really slow in hotter weather - it just doesn't feel good to me anymore. So now, the colder the better.

This is really a question for your Dr, but you got me curious so I looked at a few articles online. My impression is that the benefits (deeper stretches which risk muscle tears, sweating out toxins) are overstated and the risks (dehydration, heat exhaustion, heat stroke) are understated. As to any special risk to the heart, that is not clear. In the wikipedia article it states:
People with heart problems and high blood pressure or those who can't bear high temperatures, should be especially careful with hot yoga.
This is sourced from a yoga.com article with no explanation. A couple good references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikram_Yoga
http://breakingmuscle.com/yoga/hot-yoga-the-dangers-and-myths-you-need-to-know

Hey Shamrock,
Why do you think that you should do the hot yoga thing? Think about whether you perceive real, measurable benefits and weigh them against the risks. Discuss those facts and your reasoning with your doctor. If you decide to go with it then, let him know of your decision and take what guidance he offers for reducing risks and realizing the most benefit.

My take on this - you're FIXED. You can do whatever you want. Unless your doctor is coming up with reasons why you in particular (or valve patients) shouldn't do Bikram, I would think it's just fine. Remember, you no longer have a heart problem!

Of course if you feel terrible in the hot room, don't be stupid - but that advice goes for everyone :)

Latest posts

Back