B6 and warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheridan07

Anyone know if I can take b6 with warfarin. I take 9 mg of warfarin a day for my aortic valve, or should I stay away from it? Thanks Brian

According to DrugDigest.org:

No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.

You searched for interactions between the following drugs :

* Vitamin B6 Tablets
* Warfarin Tablets

According to DrugDigest.org:

No interactions were found for the drugs you selected.

You searched for interactions between the following drugs :

* Vitamin B6 Tablets
* Warfarin Tablets

Thanks Freddie, I searched another website and they recommend to stay away. That's why I ask. Other vitamens they tell you to stay away from also. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands and my parents recommended 200mg of b6.

I've taken the B vitamins - usually in a B-50 or B-100, and haven't noticed any issues.

If you are going to take it, of course, it would be well to check your INR and then after taking B6 for a few days. I doubt that it will be necessary, but if you are consistent with B6, any dosage adjustments should keep you in range.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about B6 and warfarin - but it is always good to test the INR just in case.

Thanks to the both of you for responding. I have had two minor strokes and just wanted to make sure. I rather have carpal tunnel in my hands than my Inr to go down to 1.5 again and have another stroke. Thanks again for your help. Brian

Brian:

I've also had a TIA (at least one that I'm aware of), and carefully watch my INR. I don't think B6 will cause any anticoagulation issues and, as noted, if you're consistent with the B6, you should be able to easily maintain your INR in range.

(Just curious -- are you on the 'stroke protocol' (Lipitor for the rest of your life)?)

Yes I'm on Lipitor but my last TIA was this past July while I was on Lipitor. That was when my Inr was 1.5. I'm 39 6"3 about 230 and eating healthly.

How often is your INR tested? If you don't have a meter, I suggest that you get one - and test weekly.

If, like many of us, your 'clinic' is comfortable with testing once a month, in theory you could be below range for WEEKS (between tests) and wouldn't know it untio you have a TIA. I personally don't see any benefit (and some risk) to dragging the period between tests out to a month or more. (And I, for one, got 'lucky' and went for a considerable amount of time between tests a few years ago, and believed that I could tell when my INR was out of range. I've changed my opinion in strong support of weekly testing - if only to confirm that the INR has stayed in range).

(And I, for one, got 'lucky' and went for a considerable amount of time between tests a few years ago, and believed that I could tell when my INR was out of range. I've changed my opinion in strong support of weekly testing ).

Was there something in particular that changed your mind?

I went for a long time with no doctor and no money for tests. I had a large supply of coumadin that a doctor gave me. What changed my mind was finally getting a meter, and having a doctor friend who was able to order the testing supplies. It's not that I didn't want to test more often -- I didn't see a way, financially, to be able to afford it, I thought I could tell when my INR was too high or too low (I couldn't), and I didn't really appreciate the risks that I was taking by not testing more frequently.

That's one of the reasons that I'm driven to start a foundation (or something) to ensure that anyone who is on oral anticoagulants can be tested regularly - regardless of ability to pay. It's something that society doesn't seem to want at this time. As a public health issue, it's important.

Protimenow,

I was before my TIA was going once a month and now that I had it my doctor has me coming in every two weeks if it's on the lower side 2.3-2.5 which is still good but wants to make sure I don't slip. If my Inr is good 3.0 -3.5 then he has me coming in every 3 weeks. I don't have a meter but would like to get one. Thanks. Brian

Hi

I went for a long time with no doctor and no money for tests.
that's a difficult time.

I thought I could tell when my INR was too high or too low (I couldn't), and I didn't really appreciate the risks that I was taking by not testing more frequently.
this is the part which I find curious ... I wonder why you thought that?

It's something that society doesn't seem to want at this time. As a public health issue, it's important.

its something that American Society doesn't seem to want. We have such in Australia (at least in my State). As a personal observation, there is much about US society which to the outsider seem to to gel with the the internal 'view' of reality VS the views of external parties. Sorry to go off topic.

Latest posts

Back