AVR--coffee

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles g

As I get closer to the big day I have less and less energy so I've been drinking a few cups of coffee in the AM but wonder if I should even be using caffeine..I might be putting to much on the already restrictive valve?

Can't say. I have been labeled as non-compliant by more than one doctor and I'm still kicking ;-) I drink a pot of coffee in the morning and iced tea all day. I was told to stop caffeine after my AVR and ablation but never even considered it.

Ask your doctor and follow what you think is good for you.

It depends on your and your heart's sensitivity and reaction to caffeine.

I, personally, don't have tolerance for more than half a cup of coffee in the morning...it agitates my nerves and my heart! my heart would start beating fast and hard and thus I'd feel more tired instead.

Gosh l couldn't imagine life without coffee l drink ridiculous amounts. Truth is it wasn't until l just read this statement /question that l remember being told quite sometime ago to lay off the coffee .. However did not and never even considered that it was something that would be asked of me after Value replacement but caffeine drinks of any kind may not be good... Sigh !

Agian;n851759 said:
Adventists live longer, because they're vegetarian and do not consume stimulants or alcohol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventist_Health_Studies

THAT would be tough for me. I don't consume much caffeine, but I would feel very restricted if I was unable to choose to have a cup of coffee, a cola or a cocktail. But. . . it is a choice, and I do respect those who make such choices.

Do they live longer or does it just seem longer? Seriously though I've heard so many things about coffee ,in moderation , being good for you and many saying it's bad. I have a high tolerance for caffeine, and most others that I tried during my fun,misguided youth. My concern is I drink about 3 cups or so every morning and if I'm told to lay off it for awhile post surgery I'm afraid it may trigger a migraine. The neurologist I saw told me any big change in caffeine either way isn't good, I only get them occasionally ( couple a year ) but I get nausea and vomiting when I do. I can't imagine dry heaving with a new sternotomy would be pleasant. I get the sudden visual aura that tells me I'm getting one and that's one of my fears about the surgery- the lack of caffeine combined with the stress could trigger one right before the operation.

I gave up coffee because I want to keep my heart rate down. I take 25mg of Atenolol twice a day, but by 5pm my HR starts creeping up. It can get up to 100 by 8pm. I was told to take 50mg in the morning, but I'm wary of dropping my BP too much, as I'm also taking Losartan 50mg twice a day. I have a glass of red wine a day, after the evening Atenolol. They say this is good for you.

Agian;n851777 said:
I gave up coffee because I want to keep my heart rate down. I take 25mg of Atenolol twice a day, but by 5pm my HR starts creeping up. It can get up to 100 by 8pm. I was told to take 50mg in the morning, but I'm wary of dropping my BP too much, as I'm also taking Losartan 50mg twice a day. I have a glass of red wine a day, after the evening Atenolol. They say this is good for you.

If your heart rate gets that high I don't blame you for giving up caffeine. My heart rate is usually mid 50's to mid 60's and doesnt get effected much by coffee.

cldlhd;n851779 said:
If your heart rate gets that high I don't blame you for giving up caffeine. My heart rate is usually mid 50's to mid 60's and doesnt get effected much by coffee.
Of late, I've been considering taking the extra Atenolol.

Agian;n851777 said:
I gave up coffee because I want to keep my heart rate down.

have you tried decaf? Does it make any difference? I have tried decaf beans (I'm an espresso fiend) and seems that places like Merlo make some good decaf beans...

have a glass of red wine a day, after the evening Atenolol. They say this is good for you.

:)

'spesshally with OrStraya day cummin up ... roast lamb ... merlot ... mmmm

pellicle;n851781 said:
have you tried decaf? Does it make any difference? I have tried decaf beans (I'm an espresso fiend) and seems that places like Merlo make some good decaf beans...
:)'spesshally with OrStraya day cummin up ... roast lamb ... merlot ... mmmm
Decaf? No. I don't see the point, but I'll give it a go anyway.

Agian;n851786 said:
Decaf? No. I don't see the point, but I'll give it a go anyway.
well I drink Coffee (and wine too really) because I like the taste ... so just like the Diet Coke ad ... just for the taste of it??

dunno

anyway, be keen to hear if it helps.

I switched to decaffeinated coffee some years prior to my valve surgery. I switched on the advice from my ophthalmologist that it "might" help reduce eye muscle twitches. He said that they really don't know what causes eye muscles to twitch, but that some of his patients have gotten relief by stopping or restricting caffeine use. I tried it, and it seemed to help.

I, too, used to drink so much regular coffee during the week (accounting and consulting professional) that I frequently had "caffeine withdrawal" headaches on the weekends unless I drank several cups of coffee daily. Once I "detoxed" the headaches became history.

I was surprised when the hospital served me regular coffee after heart surgery, but I felt that I was so groggy after it all that the caffeine wouldn't hurt. I have since gone back to decaffeinated coffee, but I will drink regular tea and cola drinks. I just don't consume as much caffeine as I once did.

There are some very good decaffeinated coffees. You just have to expect to find several bad ones for every good one.

Oh, and I will strongly second the notion that a glass of wine is a good thing. Especially some of the merlots.

You will be allowed to consume caffeine immediately after surgery and as often as you want. On my ward, there was a machine and you could get it yourself once you were ambulatory.

Caffeine is a significantly addictive drug. In hospitals, they will not let you smoke, but will give you caffeinated beverages as soon as you can take fluids. I asked a nurse about this and she said there is nothing worse than a patient in pain going through caffeine withdrawal at the same time. You will suffer more physical withdrawal systems kicking coffee than you will kicking cigarettes. It is a diuretic, but as one doctor told me, "so what, we want you to pee after surgery, just drink enough liquids."

tom in MO;n851820 said:
You will be allowed to consume caffeine immediately after surgery and as often as you want. On my ward, there was a machine and you could get it yourself once you were ambulatory.

Caffeine is a significantly addictive drug. In hospitals, they will not let you smoke, but will give you caffeinated beverages as soon as you can take fluids. I asked a nurse about this and she said there is nothing worse than a patient in pain going through caffeine withdrawal at the same time. You will suffer more physical withdrawal systems kicking coffee than you will kicking cigarettes. It is a diuretic, but as one doctor told me, "so what, we want you to pee after surgery, just drink enough liquids."
That's great to hear , I'll admit to being addicted but I guess there are worse addictions. Just saw on the news today that they think coffee helps prevent skin cancer.....

Latest posts

Back