April 9

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DachsieMom

April 9 is my surgery date. I am getting my valve replaced with a mechanical valve (I am 41) and a potion of my aorta replaced. I am feeling overwhelmed at all there is to do before surgery - I have a very busy life. How long are people typically out of work, and how long until you took long car rides as a passenger? Thank you.

Hi

I was away from my work for about 6 weeks. My first passenger ride was 7 days after surgery on the way home (and on my previous surgery when I was 28 I got taken to the pub for a 'break" while I was still in hospital.... Driving is a no no because of the stresses you place on the sternum by turning the wheel

if you can get a lift to work then you may be ok at that same time. Just depends on the job you have ... no lifting for at least 8 weeks.

best wishes with the surgery.

I worked a bit from home at around week 3. After 5 weeks I was released to drive and went back to work part-time, starting with 4 hours a day, then 6, then 8, etc. By 8 weeks I was back to working my usual 10 hour days (office management job), and really never looked back. I do sort of miss the free time, though. . . but I do remember being quite tired after the first few half-days.

As for long car rides, as long as you're the passenger, it depends upon how you feel. Try starting out with modest distances, then lengthen and see how you feel. You may want to keep a pillow across your chest where the shoulder harness crosses, but generally you should be fine. I personally would suggest that if you're contemplating a cross-country drive, try to stop every couple of hours to get out of the car and move around a bit to keep your blood flowing, etc.

I was 55 when I had mine. I was out from work for 8 weeks, could have gone back a little earlier. I did not take a long car ride, but it should not be any problem. The hardest thing about the car after surgery is not riding but getting in and out w/o using your arms.

Once you've made your choices of valve, hospital, surgeon and date, you really don't have to do much before surgery except relax and keep it together. Prayer helped me. I did things to make life easier and keep busy, like a thorough cleaning of my room, since I knew I was going to be there awhile. I also did a will and got my Roku box fixed in case I didn't need the will : )

I had surgery 250 miles from home and I rode home 5 days after surgery. We did break it up into two drives and spent the night halfway. I could have made it all the way, but my DW and chief caregiver was as tired or more so than I.

Latest posts

Back