AOV history wondering about recovery time for heart stent recovery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi! I have been a member of VR since inception a number of years ago... what a great site it is! But I have a slightly different heart procedure question and figure someone out there may have an (or several) answers. When I had my aortic valve replaced with a St. Jude's mechanical, I was back at work between 5-6 weeks. My new question is what is the average recovery time for a heart catherization and implantation of a stent? Recovery to back to normal activities. Is supposed to be less than by-pass, but I am looking for more definitive information...like days, weeks? Thanks for any information!:cool2::eek:

From Web MD site

After angioplasty, you will be moved to a recovery room or to the coronary care unit. Your heart rate, pulse, and blood pressure will be closely watched. You will have a large bandage or a compression device at the catheter insertion site to prevent bleeding.

An angioplasty may take 30 to 90 minutes. But you need time to get ready for it and time to recover. It can take several hours total.

People usually can start walking in 12 to 24 hours after angioplasty. The average hospital stay is 1 to 2 days for uncomplicated procedures. You may resume exercise and driving after several days.

After angioplasty, you will take antiplatelet medicines to help prevent another heart attack or a stroke. You will probably take aspirin plus another antiplatelet such as clopidogrel (Plavix). If you get a drug-eluting stent, you will probably take both of these medicines for at least one year. If you get a bare metal stent, you will take both medicines for at least one month but maybe up to one year. Then you will likely take daily aspirin long-term. If you have a high risk of bleeding, your doctor may shorten the time you take these medicines

Latest posts

Back