Aortic Question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
My mom is 93 yr. old and in hospital because of complications with pancreatitus. The dr. says she has arotic stenosis to some degree. Don't know what as yet. I asked about meds and he said there are no meds just replacement surgery and she couldn't take that at her age.
Is this true?
He said there was no reason to get her cardiolist unless we wanted the valve replaced.
Things are pretty bad for my mom. I know she is old but I want her as long as I can. Please pray for her. She has been suffering quite a bit.
Thanks and any help on the valve question ASAP is appreciated.
Missy

I'm sorry I can't answer your question..............

I'm sorry I can't answer your question..............

but just wanted to send hugs, and yes, we will certainly include your mom and you in our prayers. I hope you get some answers soon. Many hugs. Janet

Can't really answer you question either, Missy, but Dick had an aunt that had avr at 82. Sending prayers for you and your Mom.
Best wishes,
Phyllis

I am not certain if there is a cut off age, however I did share the hospital ward with a guy that was 87 and in good general health when he had a successful AVR, he even was discharged sooner post surgery than me and I was only 41 at the time. :eek:

Please read - it might help!

Please read - it might help!

See this site

www.corevalve.com

Percutanous replacement of heart valves for patients who are too weak to undergo conventional surgery. Only them allowed at present - which your mother surely qualifies for"

In particular
http://www.corevalve.com/corevalve_press/, an article with the following

12/13/2005 - 9:30 AM
Corevalve successfully initiates first north american clinical trial, using its novel revalving? system at montreal heart institute to non-surgically replace diseased aortic heart valve of 64-year-old female patient not eligible for open-heart surgery)

proves it's going on on your side of the big pond
and also

03/30/2006 - 9:30 AM
50 patients who were not eligible for openheart surgery have now received corevalve?s Revalving? system to non-surgically replace their diseased aortic heart valve

in the second bit, there's a line that says "For example, one of the most recent patients treated was a 94-year-old female who returned home just days after the successful replacement of her diseased aortic valve."

I'd be pleased as punch if I hear that this helps you. All the best!

I know my surgeon replaced a valve in a 91 year old lady and she was up and out of the hospital faster than me. I think it depends on the patient's overall health. I also know of a friend who said her grandfather had his valve replaced in his 90s.

Hi Missy,
I can't answer your question either.
Did they say the stenosis was so far along surgery would be needed soon?
Perhaps she would be a candidate for replacement by catheter.
As I stated in another thread, I met the first man to have this done.
He is in his late seventies and doing quite well, he just celebrated his one year anniversary of the surgery.

Rich

I would seek a second opinion on it and be prepared to go to a well known institute too, such as Mayo or Cleveland Clinic.

I agree with Ross

I agree with Ross

Get the cardio's opinion AND a surgeon's as well. Only A SURGEON can determine if your mother's case is inoperable and a CARDIOLOGIST can treat her appropriately medically. Many elderly people have aortic stenosis and live wonderful productive and active lives by having the correct medical treatment. I go with Ross....get that second opinion and get a cardiologist on the same page with the internist now.

The elderly

The elderly

It must be difficult to gauge the effect of stenosis at that age, anyway, given that ageing naturally reduces how perky you are!

But it would be interesting to know at what level it is considered managable, and when they would want to try the risky but potentially beneficial new catheter valves.

It's early days, but they have shown great promise and kept people alive who would be dead otherwise

Latest posts

Back