anyone read the mechanical valve cards?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im assuming that this device has electronic components

how does it trigger?

does anybody know specifically?

if there are electronic components in can in theory be affected by any other electronic signal or magnetic field or electromagnetic pulse.

cell phones ,wifi ,microwave

I have an appont w/ my doc next week

Ill ask and let you guys know

Called on-x

Called on-x

They were really nice and seemed surprised I didn't get a card. Mine is in the mail. I spoke with Steven @ 888-339-8000 x254. He had my name and address already in his little computer.:eek: He knew what size and who put it in at what hospital. Pretty cool. Now, if it gets stolen,(the valve, not the card) I will have the ser # for the police report.:confused:
Give it a try. They are really nice.

If you have a valve, especially a mechanical valve, it would be good to carry an ID card. When my valve was implanted, cards were not issued. A few years ago I was sent to a local hospital for a non-cardiac MRI, it was for my spine. The tech would not perform the MRI because I didn't have a card. After joining this forum I learned that Edwards Lifesciences manufactured my valve. I contacted them and they instructed me to get the model and serial number and they would produce the needed ID card. Thats when I hit a brick wall. Neither the hospital, the surgeon or Edwards had a record of the valve, other than the operating room record that said a #9 Starr-Edwards was implanted. Edwards did prepare an ID card even tho they are not quite sure as to what I am carrying around in my chest. My card simply says call an 800 number for needed information. For some strange reason I get a "warm fuzzey feeling" knowing I have an ID CARD:p:D

Seriously, an ID card would be very helpful in letting emergency personel know what they might be dealing with.:)

Is everyone's St. Jude Medical card pretty generic? And are MRI safe or not?

Is everyone's St. Jude Medical card pretty generic? And are MRI safe or not?

Regarding cards, Medtronics sent me a card to carry in my wallet--and if there are any changes in my contact info or my cardio info, etc., I am to notify them.

Regarding MRIs, a relative from the midwest told me that a nearby hospital put a man in an MRI with a pacer that he evidently forgot to tell them about and he died from it; the description was horribly graphic. So this could be a very important issue and we must be diligent in being personally informed as to what is safe for us personally and in informing medical personnel as to our situation.

Just this last Monday my surgeon told me I couldn't have an MRI, she said it wasn't because my valve would be ripped out but because the magentic field would prevent the valve from moving.

So having found this forum and then reading my card, I see my St. Jude's card does say it can be safely scanned in a "static magentic field of 3 Tesla or less." My valve is a 27CAVGJ-514 model.

So I'm confused. Can I have an MRI or not?

Also, the card I was given is pretty generic. I had to write in the physican's name and hospital and date. Does St. Jude issue any type of card more permanent and/or personnalized than that? For the amount the valve cost I would have expected at least a plastic card with the specific information like my name and the doctor, hospital and implant date printed on it, like a Medic Alert card.

Hello Al

I got the same card you did for my St-Jude but was told by the nurse that it was just a temporary one, that I will get the real one in the mail.

I didn't get a card for my St. Jude, so I called the company. They told me what information to get from the surgeon to send in to them. It included the serial number of the valve, the date of implantation, and I don't remember what all. The surgeon keeps the serial number on file in your records. I sent the information in, and St. Jude sent me back a wallet card.

Today I happened to stumble upon the web address where you can update your information and request a new card from St. Jude:

https://www.sjm.com/devices/updateyourrecord/login.aspx

I thought this might be useful information to have in the forum, I haven't seen the reference anywhere else.

Today I happened to stumble upon the web address where you can update your information and request a new card from St. Jude:

https://www.sjm.com/devices/updateyourrecord/login.aspx

I thought this might be useful information to have in the forum, I haven't seen the reference anywhere else.

Today in the mail I received a plastic, customized ID card from St Jude.

My AVR surgery was on August 8, 2008 so it took them a little over a month to send it to me. The information they had on my cardiologist (which wasn't on the card, but on a a supplmental form included for me to use to send back corrections) was wrong, so this card must have been sent "automatically" after the surgery.

I did go to the web site I listed earlier and enter updated information, it will be interesting to see if they send me a new card or not.

I also have had a Medic Alert ID bracelet for years, got one when I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 1996. Needless to say I updated their database with the valve information as well.

I just got my onx valve a week and half ago and I have o card?

Uh, sure. Let me dig mine out. . .It's between my concealed handgun license and my hunter safety card. .

OK, It has the model and serial number in case they need to identify it if they come and get it. It includes the implanting physician's name , hospital and date of implant. On the back it reminds me to keep my address updated so that they will know where I am and then it addresses important MRI Safety Information. That section says:

Mummmmaha, mmmmmmmmummha mummmmma. . . whooops, 3 Tesla or less, more mummmmmmah and then more muminahhhh W/kg for 15 minutes of scanning.

I am jealous, I didn't get my box.

Has any one been able to decifer the language on the back of the St Jude medical card?
What does all that mean really?
My card is a plastic one which I just received; i.e., 24 days after the surgery, from St. Jude which lists my name, the serial number and model number of the valve, the name of the surgeon and the hospital the surgery took place at. the other side is about MRI safety. The hospital also gave me a paper card with the same information before I was discharged.

Generally speaking, when a valve is implanted, the hospital is required to fill out a registration card and send it to the manufacturer who then sends the patient an ID card. You should carry that with you. Bileaflet mechanical valves are usually manufactured of non-ferrous or non-magnetic pyrolytic carbon so they should not be affected by magnetic resonance imaging although they may distort the image that is produced. As a precaution, most of the manufacturers run tests to insure that their valves are compatible. As mentioned previously in the thread, some are noted to be safe to 3 Tesla. I have seen other recommendations noting valves safe to 4.7 Tesla.

Should you require an MRI, it should not slip by the staff that you have a prosthetic valve, but tell them just to make sure. If they have any questions, call the manufacturer directly for guidelines.

Mr. Magoo

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to comment on Illinois Al's post above where his surgeon told him the MRI would affect the opening and closing of the valve. Again, the St. Jude valve is made of pyrolytic carbon and titanium. These are non-magnetic materials. What the surgeon may be referring to is a distortion of the images that are produced which he may be interpreting as affected leaflet motion. In fact, the MRI should have no effect on the valve's opening and closing. In this case, I politely suggest that the surgeon is woefully misinformed and causing unnecessary concern.

Contact the valve manufacturer directly for their official policy and recommendations.

Mr. Magoo

I was issued a detailed card, which I've been carrying since OHS in '84. It may predate MRI's, and there is no mention of compatibility. I did get an MRI last November, and it was a real ordeal trying to be sure it was safe. Luckily, I have a spare valve, (don't all of you?)* and the tech put it in for a test run before I entered the machine. * I was given the spare by a rep at a convention, just before the recall.

Latest posts

Back