Anyone have any experience with the Sorin Mechanical Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Carbomedics/Sorin mechanical valve close to 5 years, and after a couple of CT scans and a echo every year everything around the valve looks good.

Not sure what kind of "experience" your asking?

All the bi-leaflet valves look so similar. I was looking at Sorin Carbomedics, SaintJude Regent and On-X images on each of their websites and then all looked pretty similar, if not almost identical. If someone gave me these 3 mechanical valves, unless I studied them closely, I do not think I would know which one is which.

My surgeon uses the Sorin Carbomedics valve. Its a great valve, I was his first On-X... personal choice. If you end up with any of the 4 popular valves you'll be doing fine even though I lean toward the On-X more : )

I have a Sorin/Carbomedics valve. It was my surgeon's choice, and when I asked whether we might want to consider others, he suggested (and I agreed) that there was merit in using a valve with a long track record of good durability. Prior to my surgery I found a study somewhere with tracked valves and recorded mechanical failures. In that study of tens of thousands of patients (as I recall) it was the only one without a single mechanical failure in well more than a decade of use.
My personal experience of it is that it is quiet (though loud in the first months, I rarely hear it now) has great flow, evidenced by my ever shrinking 3 mile time, and is supported by an organization attentive and decent enough to send me an actual sample when I wrote to them, so I now have an identical valve I can show any curious friends who ask.
If your surgeon loves them, and you're asking advice, mine is to go for it!

Sorin/Carbomedics was my surgeon's choice as well. He's had a lot of experience using these valves and has had excellent results in his patients. That was good enough for me:)
I was told there good for 200 years! LOL

I have a Sorin/Carbomedics valve. It was my surgeon's choice, and when I asked whether we might want to consider others, he suggested (and I agreed) that there was merit in using a valve with a long track record of good durability. Prior to my surgery I found a study somewhere with tracked valves and recorded mechanical failures. In that study of tens of thousands of patients (as I recall) it was the only one without a single mechanical failure in well more than a decade of use.
My personal experience of it is that it is quiet (though loud in the first months, I rarely hear it now) has great flow, evidenced by my ever shrinking 3 mile time, and is supported by an organization attentive and decent enough to send me an actual sample when I wrote to them, so I now have an identical valve I can show any curious friends who ask.
If your surgeon loves them, and you're asking advice, mine is to go for it!

I too wrote.....maybe e-mailed Sorin for a sample of the valve. Not only did I receive the identical valve but they also sent me books on the history of the valve, what tools are needed when doing surgery and the proper stitching that is recommended when replacing.
My sister thought that this identical sample valve should be used as a Christmas ornament....

I have a Sorin, at the time the Standard NHS Valve. I only hear the ticking when lying in certain positions, & it is no louder than a good watch. There are ongoing concerns in the Uk regarding contaminated Breast Implants & certain types of Hip implants. I am happy to have an older design with a very long track record of reliablility.

I have a Sorin/Carbomedics valve and can recommend it. It has been good for me, and the doc did a bang up job installing it!

Latest posts

Back