Anyone get sick from flu shot?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

Hi everyone! I know the topic of flu shots has been discussed and as a result of reading them and at my doctor's suggestion, I am going to be getting my first flu shot EVER tomorrow at work. I am wondering if anyone out there has ever had a serious reaction to it and would you do it again? I have no allergies to the substances, but just wonder what others' experiences are. Thanks! Susan:cool:

I've gotten them religously for the last 12 years and never have had a bad reaction of any kind. I have felt a little feverish within 24 hours or so after the injection, but it goes away quickly. If you feel slightly ill, take some Tylenol and get some rest. You'll be fine in the morning. ;)

Hey Sunshine Susan,
I got mine on the 17th and the following Sunday I wasn't feeling very well but don't know if it was from the shot or not. I am feeling Great now. I have never heard of any major problems from the shots.
Take Care

Dave

I work alot in those flu clinics you see around town during the months of october and november. I recommend anyone to build up their immune system prior to getting the shot with extra Vit C sprinked throughout the day, getting a high quality immune booster for week before, avoiding sugars in diet,and eating good vitamin riched foods. Any vaccine will depress the immune system some and those on the border line basis might feel little sick, arm hurting,etc. We recommend after the shot to also do the above immune boosting plus move the arm alot for 48 hrs. When your immune system is good, one doesn't usually have side effects. Be sure to NOT get the shot if you are allergic to eggs,chicken,chicken feathers or other vaccine preservatives. Make sure you feel healthy the day you get the shot. Notify the nurse if this is your first flu shot as you need to stay close to them for 15 minutes after getting the shot in case you have a reaction(is rare).Sometimes the arm will be sore,red,swollen and heavy feeling that night. You can take a tylenol,put an ice pack on, but the best thing to do is to move it alot. Hope this helps you all, Azpam

FLU SHOT

FLU SHOT

HI Susan,

I have been getting a flu shot for about 20yrs with no problem.
Got my shot for this year about 2 weeks ago with no problem.

Good Luck

NO problems here with flu shots over the previous umpteen years. My Doc's strongly recommend an annual Flu shot.

Our Senior Center has been sponsoring a flu shot clinic for the past few years and they also provide Pneumonia Shots (only needed once every 5 years). Check with your Primary Care Physician to see if he/she recommends a Pneumonia shot as well.

'AL'

I have never gotten a reaction of any sort. My nurse cousin got the live virus long time ago, got the flu. This year while she was in her dr office, they talked her into getting one - she did - no reaction. Good news.

As to pneumonia, nurse cousin also got a pneumonia shot. Her dr said 5 yrs between shots as Al has said. I called my pharmacist about this 5 yr period and he knew nothing of it - said probably 10 yrs. How can we confirm the space between pneumonia shots?

While in the hospital in May, I came down w/pneumonia. My dear Joe got it and was hospitalized. My mother died of it. We all had pneumonia shots yrs ago and at the same time. I know the shots cover certain types of pneumonia, just like flu shots, and there are numerous sorts of pneumonia. Comments anyone?

I found out yesterday that the pneumonia vaccine for high risk individuals is recommended every 5 years. I had my last one in 2001 so Doc said I get another in 2006.

I guess I'm the lone ranger, here. Two years ago I had a flu shot, then a couple of days later came down with the worst case of the flu I've EVER had. Was down for the count for a full week, wife thought I was dying!

Needless to say, I've not had the shot since. . . and been lucky and strong enough not to catch the flu either.

Already had it

Already had it

Steve,

My guess at what happened to you then was that you were already exposed to the flu when you got the shot. The flu virus takes about 5-7 days from exposure to manifest symptoms. I don't know for sure that the shot didn't give you the flu, but it doesn't seem likely that you'd have the flu after only 2 days.

Susan,

My phlebotomist (sp) practically pulled out my arm last year when she dragged me over to the tech who was giving the flu shots. I had absolutely no reaction. This year, I had the flu shot and the only reaction I got was a slight swelling and itching at the injection site. This cleared up after a few days. Unless you're allergic to the items that Pam listed, I'd suggest that you get a flu shot. JMHO.

Just wondering...I am supposedly allergic to eggs (skin tests), but as I love eggs, I eat them anyway...nurse at Cleveland Clinic said my eczema was caused by the eggs. So I laid off eggs for about 6 weeks and saw no difference and went back to eating eggs.

Do you think I should go ahead and get the flu shot or not. I can't get anyone to give me a clear answer. Family doctor says yes, cardio says it is up to me! Any suggestions?

If your confirmed allergic to eggs, no. I think you'd be putting too much at risk, but really, it is your choice.

flu shots

flu shots

I called my Cardiologist and he said that it was up to me. I didn't get one last year. I did get pneomonia (sp) even with the shot so I don't know what to do since it is over 5 years. I will talk to him about it when I see him. They are having clinics all over into Dec.

Never had a reaction or otherwise to a flu shot. Takes two weeks for the vaccination to take effect so any flu acquired in a timeframe less than that was already out to get you. Preventive Medicine......makes more than sense!

I thought I was smart and got the flu shot the Oct before my surgery, which was Jan. So, ten days after surgery, I did get the flu. I never had the flu shot before or since. I would still get one, but it doesn't seem necessary, I rarely get sick.

Man, I just recently got over a bout of the flu about a week ago. As soon as I was well enough, I went out and got my shot. I do not want to go through that again.

Provided you're not allergic, the most is a pain in the arm. :)

No Problem

No Problem

Had my first one last year after VR. and a few weeks ago.. No Problems...No flu...ever:) Going to drag Hubby down for one.:p Bonnie

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone! I got the shot today. So far so good--arm just a little sore. This is my first time, but feel all will be well with it! I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!! Susan:cool:

joey got his flu shot this week along with his first pneumonia shot. his arm was sore from that one for a few days!!! swolledn too!
doc said he needed one every ten years. i can see why we're all unsure about this 5 or 10 year thing...
please let me know when anyone has a definitive answer on this one.
thanks all!
be well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back