Any issues with one kidney & AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retiredmls

My AVR and mitral ring is scheduled for October 27th at UPenn with Dr. Bavaria. (waiting so long because I want to enjoy a wedding in Las Vegas and HS reunion at beginning of Oct) Last night I tossed and turned with pain in my upper left abdomen. Wound up going to emergency room, thinking maybe I had a kidney stone. ER doc wanted to check for that also and much to my surprise they find out I only have 1 kidney. I'm 58 years old and never knew it. Of course now I have to notify primary physician and surgeon, but does anyone know of any special issues that have to be considered during AVR. Apparently my other kidney is working just fine because I have never had any problems in that area.

I think they have to keep an eye on fluid and make sure you don't get problems go into fluid overload, but I'd think the fact you've done fine this long would be a pretty good sign.
Ibelieve Chris (mainframe) only has one kidney. He had trouble with his 2nd AVR, but was in pretty bad shape going into that surgery. But From what I know he did fine with his 1st.
Dr. Baveria is a really great surgeon, I definately would put a call into them and let them know what you found out and have the records sent to him.
JUstin goes to CHOP for most of his heart surgeries, but many of his doctors are on staff at CHOP and HUP and not only are they a great heart center they also have really good doctors in the other specialties. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/hospital-of-the-university-of-pennsylvania-6231900

Last edited:
Congestive Heart Failure is something your doctors are going to have to pay special attention to, if you ever develop that. And in light of your heart situation and the one kidney, I think it is prudent to have a nephrologist as a doctor you could consult with when needed.

The one kidney and any use of diuretics as a treatment for CHF is something that your cardiologist and nephrologist will have to orchestrate together, IF it ever becomes a problem.

Latest posts

Back