Any 70 year olds with OnX Mitral Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting Question.

While I believe the On-X is the best choice in mechanical valves, especially for the mitral position, due to it's lower propensity for clot formation, I'm wondering why you aren't considering the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve which has a high likelihood of lasting 20 years or more in 'elderly' recipients, without the need for any type of anticoagulation medication.

I agree with the others. If there are no unusual circumstances, I would consider a tissue valve over mechanical at age 70. A tissue valve may eliminate the need for anti-coagulants in your senior years and should have an adequate valve life.

With my luck I would get one of the valves that only lasted 5 years.I want only one surgery.

That is understandable. You may want to ask your Surgeon about how often this happens with the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves. Early failures are more common with Porcine Tissue Valves, especially the ones that come 'straight from the pig' and are not 'enhanced'.

The tradeoff with mechanical valves is that you would need to be on Coumadin / Warfarin which does present a higher risk of bleeding in 'more elderly' patients. Of course there is the possibility that you might also develop Atrial Fibrilation (which becomes more common in 'elderly' patients) and need Coumadin anyway. In that case, there is little additional risk by having a mechanical valve, and yes, the On-X would be your lowest risk choice in that event.

IMO, at age 70, there are good arguments for either choice (Bovine Pericardial vs. On-X) and it comes down to YOUR personal choice. Whichever one YOU are more comfortable with is fine.

To AlCapshaw,
Why is the Porcine Tissue Valve more common to fail? Why don't they use the Bovine instead?

To AlCapshaw,
Why is the Porcine Tissue Valve more common to fail? Why don't they use the Bovine instead?

UNTREATED Porcine Tissue Valves have a history of wearing out after 8 to 12 years, and often less in younger patients. The "New and Improved" Porcine Valves are hoped to last longer (some even say 20 years) but have not been out long enough to know yet. I don't know WHY the untreated Procine Valves wear out so fast, just that they do.

The Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves have a high (90%?)
durability at 20 years when implanted in patients over 60 (or is it 65) years of age.

Why would you want to go mech. at 70?

I went mechanical at age 72-10 years ago. Valve is still working well, I thank my surgeon for his choice. Tissue valves are better now but some of them still conk out as early as two years according to my surgeon.

Chiming in on this kind of late, but I am 67 yrs old (?) and went with a St. Jude's mechanical because I thought I would outlive a pork or beef valve. My cardiologist was delighted with my choice although he didn't make comment either way prior to my choice. Hopefully I will be set for the rest of my life and when talking with the surgeons, they pointed out that not every tissue valve lasts as long as the records indicate...some fail in just a few years and this is one operation where once is definitely enough. To put frosting on the cake, my valve makes not a sound, or at least not a sound that I can hear. It was installed on 2/13/09 and I think I heard it one night lying in bed, but then only 2 or 3 clicks. But, as everyone says, do what feels "right" to you.
Midge

Latest posts

Back