Anxiety

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otieboomie

I am 56 years old ans have a severe aortic valve leak and now after ten years of knowing this, I am preparing for aortic valve and possibly aortic root replacement and am interviewing surgeons in the Baltimore area. I have just read Adam Pick's book which is helpful but my surgery will not be till August and the anxiety is maddening. Periodic nausea and palpitations which my cardiologist says is normal. While there is a deep history of heart disease in my family, I am the only one with valve disease. Any suggestions short of taking benzo's to cut the anxiety? Thanks in advance for the help

I think its normal....I get a bit more anxious around my dr. appointments and whether there's been any further changes to my condition. And I'm sure I will be anxious when the big day arrives...But everyone's situation can be different. I've been in the waiting room for 5 months. For me, it got a bit easier when it sunk in and I accepted my situation, decided to face it head on and lay out some steps I would take to try and prepare for the eventful day (which for me is still to come as well - I'm 47, have a severe regurg and my left ventricle started dilating. My surgery is expected to be late summer). I have read some good books on the lead up to, and recovery from, open heart surgery. I'm educating myself and reading up on the procedure (to the extent I'm comfortable with it) so that I know what to ask/what to expect, exercising daily (ever tried yoga?), eating well, getting rest and getting reassurance through great forums like this. I also have a friend who went through this, so that is a helpful resource. My cardiologist and surgeon have also been very reassuring. I keep telling myself it will be much better once this is behind me. I also try to keep it in perspective...my wife and I have 3 friends all battling cancer (one terminal with 2 young boys) and my wife's mother just passed away...its been a tough year, but better days are ahead. Hang in there and remember you are in good hands with the doctors etc.
Tony

Andy, waiting is the worst part. I was in the waiting room four years prior to surgery, and I became more anxious as each year passed. At the time, I didn't realize I could ask the doctor for medication to relieve the anxiety, but I read on this forum many people do. If I ever need to undergo another replacement, I will ask for something low dose to help. There's no reason not to.
Mary

Thanks Tony! My left ventricle started to dillate as well and hence reality kicking in. All I can think of is protecting my wife and family and don't sleep well but have read a lot and make list after list. I am trying to get healthy....lost 10 lbs, went from 6-8 cups of coffee to 3 per day and one cigar per day to 1-2 per week......reality is sinking in where I have ignored what I knew for years. This forum helps and wish you good health

Another thing on this - I keep very active and keep my mind busy. You might find that helps...less time to dwell on it. I am treating the situation as if I am in training for a big day/big event (which it is!)...the more mentally and physically prepared you are, the better off you are. At least you feel as if you are doing something positive to contribute to a successful outcome (and a faster recovery). I want the surgeon to be his best that day, so the least I can do is be my best.

Andy-i've been monitoring my similar condition for two years...my surgery is scheduled for Monday...yeah, day after tomorrow. Anxiety is a normal reaction. I swing from "I can't wait to get this done" to "oh, my gosh, what am I letting them do to me!" You are doing what you need to-educate yourself and find the best physician you can. I'm coming to terms with the fact that to the professionals involved, this is indeed routine stuff. I'm having my surgery at St Luke's in Houston, where they do 1400 open heart surgeries a year. My surgeon has performed the procedure over 6000 times in his career...the only difference, is this time it's me....Best of luck finding a doctor you trust.

Joe

As one who studied biochemistry and who at one time or another has needed a fair share of medications, I say try to learn about your inner peace through something like guided meditation.

Medication has its place, but the anxiety is self created. So you your self by self control and understanding are better placed to come to terms with it than antidepressants

:)

Latest posts

Back