Anti-coagulation and accidents

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've told my Warfarin-and-skiing story here before. While I was on ACT, ~2 months post-AVR (etc.), I went to one of our (2) Whistler timeshare weeks. I asked my Cardiologist, my GP, and my heart surgeon for their opinions (though I was pretty determined to go anyway, and most or all of them knew that.)
The Cardiologist told me that I was crazy, and that anybody on ACT who skis downhill is nuts.
The GP said it was OK to go, but that I should take it easy, stay on the groomed easier runs, etc.
The surgeon (through his receptionist/assistant) said "Sure, go, have fun, no problem."

I did take it easy, stay on the groomed easier runs, etc. (and totally avoided falling, as luck would have it), but mostly because I was worried about my Heart Rate whenever I pushed very hard or went off the groomed.

For me, that was it. By the time our 2nd Whistler week came around, I was off the Warfarin. (I went tissue, at 65.)

I think this is one of the most personal kinds of decisions we have to make. It's very possible that any of us will discover new joys if we decide to give up some of our fave activities, and those new joys may even exceed the old ones. Or not.

One "trick" I use (and recommend) for tough decisions is to imagine how rotten you'd feel if you made one choice (then do it for the other one), and it "went south". (This is an antidote to the "wishful thinking" or "best-case analysis" that many of us apply naturally.)

In this case, imagine that you decided to continue with the "scary" beloved sport while on ACT, and you had an accident that left you severely impaired, most likely more so than if you hadn't been on ACT. Would your life be ruined? Would you be filled with regrets? Or would you roll with the punch, as if you'd simply placed a bet, knowing the risks, and lost, that's life? Then play the opposite scenario: You give up the motorcycling (etc.), you miss it terribly, and maybe you always wonder if you could have continued and been just fine despite the risks. . . The trick is to choose the option where the "worst" outcome is less bad.

Good luck.

Back