Another question about beta blockers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC62

My boyfriend was told back when he started beta blockers that he could not exercise, drink or have relations? He still has not had surgery and will be meeting with the surgeon at Duke again in a month. Has anyone else heard of this - that being on beta blockers you can't do these things? He still has chest pains and feels lousy at times - wanting to sleep a lot and is very forgetful and said he is moving at a snail's pace. I don't know why they aren't making a surgery date. He said the surgeon said he wasn't in any immediate danger but would eventually need surgery?

Thanks,
AJC62

I am on a beta blocker and have no restrictions as far as 'relations', drink, or exercise. I appreciate what it does for me when I have a solo in the orchestra. I stay mello, not nervous at all and play better because of it. Many musicians take beta blockers before a major gig! I don't drink much since my bout with A-fib, but it wasn't restricted before. Maybe something else is giving him fatigue and the other symptoms.

I think there is some misunderstanding. It may be his underlying medical condition that prohibits those things - not the beta blockers.

. . . Or they could mean that the beta blockers may affect his ability in any of those areas. I have been on a beta blocker since valve surgery, and I definitely noticed its effect on exercise tolerance. It keeps you from raising your heart rate during exercise, which could affect those activities. I discussed it with my cardio and he reduced my beta blocker dosage, but he says I'm on one for the long term.

Hi Bill,
I agree with you - since he is still having chest pains, nausea, etc. I think that is why they told him he cannot exercise, etc.
Thanks!
AJC62

Hi Steve,
I agree with you - I'm sure since he is still not feeling himself that is why they have prohibited those.
Thanks,
AJC62

Hi Gail,
I know that the beta blockers make him feel exhausted and depressed and he is moving at a snail's pace he told me. So, I'm sure he is afraid to even attempt any of this.
Thanks,
AJC62

Latest posts

Back