ankle & leg edema

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

Maybe I should've put this under "Small Talk" because we have no idea if this is heart related: For 2-3 weeks Jerry has had very swollen ankles and legs, all the way to his knees. It started one day after he had been working and on his feet all day, but now after using Lasix frequently it still isn't going away.

A few years after his heart surgery he had a bout of this and the doctor simply called it "dependent edema," which I think means basically "stay off your feet." Well, his aren't much better even after a good night's sleep.

He has had so many medical/dental issues in the past several months and is having cataract surgery tomorrow. He's resistant to running off in yet another direction to check on this. How do they determine whether it's congestive heart failure or simply dependent edema? His next scheduled cardio visit is in May. :confused:

His doctor can do a BNP test (not a BMP test) and that will show congestive heart failure or not. Also, they listen to the lung for crackles, etc.

Support stocking help with leg edema.

And one thing you should look for is any reddness indicating possible cellulitis. When the skin gets stretched too far, cellulitis happens and has to be dealt with with antibiotics.

He should also be weighing himself each day first thing in the morning after voiding w/o clothing to see if there is a sudden weight gain.

I am always suspicious when doctors who are treating a heart patient don't try to find out if CHF is present. Not very thorough, IMO.

Celia,

Have Jerry get it checked out please. My husband developed just one swollen leg that didn't get better with elevation, rest or activity. Come to find out 6 months later that it was a blood clot lodged behind his knee. Now, I knew the symptoms of a blood clot and I checked for them and swelling is one of the first, but as I kept checking there was no tenderness or heat which are the other 2 big symptoms of a blood clot. I know it's difficult, but have it checked.

Have your husband get checked out real soon & good. I get ankle, legs & abdomen edema but it is related to my on-going heart issues & I have to take furosemide (Lasix) to address it.

My husband on the other hand, also gets ankle & leg swelling & his is related to liver problems that he has been having in the last year or so.

So get checked out!

Hmmmm. Good point about liver problems. We'll have to check into this. He has been on Itraconozole, a high-powered anti-fungal, (for his Blastomycosis) for over 3 months. This treatment is to last a minimum of 6 months, possibly 12. He does get a blood test about every 6 wks to check for such things as liver problems but the edema has started since the last blood test.

I have leg and ankle edema and have had it on and off my entire life. The only way I have ever gotten rid of all the fluid in my legs and ankles has been to lay as flat as possible and have my legs elevated about 2 feet above my heart. Before my stroke I would lay on the floor and put my legs up on the bed. I have even slept on the floor. My cardio even suggested taking my fluid pills at bed time so, they would work better with less stress on the circulatory system. No sleep that way but, also less fluid and sometimes no extra fluid the next day.

Lettitia

Latest posts

Back