Advertisiment!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get how the language is offensive in the least. "Shouldn't your heart valve last longer than 10 years". Yes it should. Mine didn't. There are others on this forum having both mechanical (pannus) and tissue (early failure) that had a second surgery with 10 years. I'm not seeing On-X is claiming thier valve is the only valve likely to last 10 years. But some don't. That's a fact.

My valves were suppose to last a life-time --- and they are mechanical! So what the heck happened????

I guess what I am trying to convey here is that NOTHING is guaranteed in this life. While I deal with scar tissue and pannus growth problems on my mechanical valves, there are other long-timers here w/mechanical valves that have not had to deal with this nor do I hope they ever will!

That is just the luck of the draw & I drew the Joker!

Well here goes my 2 cents. I have a bovine valve, I paid my subscription fee to Hank and at first I was a little put out by the ad. My first response to the ad was "so you say" but now I don't even see it. I log in and go to my favorite areas. Ony-X can say what they want. I personally don't believe everything I hear and a lot less of what I read. Go ahead Hank, do what is needed to keep this forum up and running.

P.S. Could they make the ad a little smaller?

1) I find the ad misleading and offensive (as do others, according to the discussion above), and it's souring me on the mechanical-valve company that I used to hold in the very highest esteem, and whose product I would have recommended to a friend until I saw that ad. If On-x isn't monitoring the discussion here, I think Hank or somebody with their best interests of On-X at heart should do them the favor of telling them that they may be losing more than they're gaining.

2) I have no trouble scrolling past the big banner, and I find it a much less painful way to support this site than (say) to fast-forward through TV commercials with my TiVo, to help the TV networks pay for their programming.

3) Some valves (or valve implantations) fail before 10 years -- including some On-X valve implantations. Others, generally the vast majority regardless of valve type, last much longer than 10 years, though the life expectancy of a tissue valve is a strong and direct (positive-sign) function of the patient's age.

4) The ad implies (to me) that (a) the only thing that matters to a patient's longer-term clinical outcome is how long the valve itself lasts, and (b) the On-X valve is uniquely capable of producing good and reliable longer-term clinical outcomes. I believe both of those impllcations are somewhere between false and misleading, and that's why I have lost respect for On-X since seeing that ad. The ad is also aimed straight at vulnerable and often distraught patients who are facing valve-replacement surgery, trying to cope with their ACTUAL choices based on REAL information, in the context of their hopes and dreams and fears and personal preferences. To take an analogy: If a manufacturer of stainless-steel coffins ran ads at the recently bereaved -- like big billboards in a funeral home? -- saying "Shouldn't your loved one's coffin keep out groundwater for longer than 15 years?" I think most of us would find that offensive. But ironically, the FACTUAL message -- express and implied -- in the coffin ad is clearly true beyond the shadow of a doubt, while the truth of On-X's implication depends on a very narrow and selective interpretation of the word "truth".

4) It would clearly be better if the biggest and most prominent message on (say) the "Choosing a Valve" page here were NOT misleading and designed to induce false fear for financial gain. But it is. Maybe On-X has a selection of banner ads available, and can be persuaded to choose another, either in its own enlightened self-interest, or in the interests of cutting this (On-X-unfriendly) discussion short, or in the interests of doing Hank a favor. For this critical reader/viewer, there's no harm done, but I bet that's not true of everybody.

It's not my call, but I do appreciate it...

Just for the record, I'm good with the new On-X ad ("designed for life"). Thank you for that, Hank and/or On-X.

Best wishes,

It's not my call, but I do appreciate it...

Just for the record, I'm good with the new On-X ad ("designed for life"). Thank you for that, Hank and/or On-X.

Best wishes,

I have to agree with Bob on this one. Thanks for that Hank, much appreciated.

Kim

Back