Active lifestyles, Warfarin and injuries, eek! (slightly graphic pics!!)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The initial wound wasn't from the Warfarin. triff's subsequent 'extreme' bruising is dramatic because his INR was too high (7.2). Normally, this wouldn't have happened (The bigger-than-normal bruise I mean).

From a scared newbie, y'all are scaring me. TMP (to many pictures). Ha

And the pictures from my 3rd OHSurgery post surgical wires infection (leading to multiple debridement operations) didn't?

... I'm still not in the clear from that YET either. Good thing I'm not the over anxious type.

From a scared newbie, y'all are scaring me. TMP (to many pictures). Ha

Aah, there's no reason to be scared, we're all friends here! There's no denying Warfarin and OHS will change your life, but personally it's been for the better - however odd that might sound to a fresh cyborg/cyborg-to-be. In my 18 months experience, I've discovered it's not a good thing to injure yourself badly, but the good the same activities have done for my cardiovascular and general health pale in comparison.

In other news, still no bruise on my poorly ass but I still can't sit down comfortably. Oddly, the bruise is travelling down my leg - it spent the weekend around the back of my knee but now I have a yellow thigh and a purple bruise on my calf. Is it possible for a bruise to be affected by gravity? The only other thing I can think of is if my compensating whilst walking/sitting has caused some other damage. Damn you, Warfarin!!

Aah, there's no reason to be scared, we're all friends here! There's no denying Warfarin and OHS will change your life, but personally it's been for the better - however odd that might sound to a fresh cyborg/cyborg-to-be. In my 18 months experience, I've discovered it's not a good thing to injure yourself badly, but the good the same activities have done for my cardiovascular and general health pale in comparison.

In other news, still no bruise on my poorly ass but I still can't sit down comfortably. Oddly, the bruise is travelling down my leg - it spent the weekend around the back of my knee but now I have a yellow thigh and a purple bruise on my calf. Is it possible for a bruise to be affected by gravity? The only other thing I can think of is if my compensating whilst walking/sitting has caused some other damage. Damn you, Warfarin!!

This may be something totally different but once when I had my wisdom teeth pulled I got some bad bruising that started on my lower jaw and gravitated down to my neck/chest area. The doctor said it was called (I can't think of the name of it) when the blood gets trapped between the muscle and the bone. It was bruised for 2 weeks. Here's an article on it I found :

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=693

Love the action shots. Thanks for sharing. Way to live it and love it!
I just snowboarded at Snowshoe a week back and it was spectacular!

I slipped climbing off my sailboat last summer and banged the back of my calf hard on some hard piece sticking out (sailboats are lousy with those). I knew I'd given it a pretty good shot, and expected bruising and soreness the next day. After the accident, I walked about a kilometre back to our cabin with mild discomfort. The next day, it was more sore as I carried multiple loads down the long flight of stairs from our cabin to load the truck for the drive home. After a 3 hour drive home, I was really limping when I got out of the truck. Another 45 minute drive a bit later that evening, and it was worse again. By the next day, I couldn't bear any weight on that foot at all, and I ended up on crutches for 2 weeks, completely non-weightbearing. Not fun; even missed the Paul McCartney concert at the local football stadium because there was no way I was going to be able to negotiate the climb up the concrete stairs. As you might guess, I had a big honking' haematoma in the calf muscle, and overall it took about a month to really resolve. The extent of the bleed was undoubtedly made worse by the unhappy coincidence that my INR had popped way up (4.1 I believe) while I was on vacation, a fact that I discovered with my weekly testing just the night before the incident, so despite curtailing my dosage that day, my INR had not had any chance to come down yet. Bad timing! It did teach me that if I intend to continue enjoying an active lifestyle (and I do) a little respect for the effects of anticoagulation is most definitely in order. First ski trip since OHS and my introduction to warfarin is currently booked for the first week in March; I have a new helmet out of respect for the anticoagulation gods, and I'll stick to the blue cruisers, but I am getting back on the slopes, so wish me luck:)

Hi

First ski trip since OHS and my introduction to warfarin is currently booked for the first week in March; I have a new helmet out of respect for the anticoagulation gods, and I'll stick to the blue cruisers, but I am getting back on the slopes, so wish me luck:)

well if you've got snow there you've got the luck already ... its bleak damp and dark here in Finland with no snow and 15C above normal

have fun on the snow :)

Hi

well if you've got snow there you've got the luck already ... its bleak damp and dark here in Finland with no snow and 15C above normal

have fun on the snow :)

Well, most of North America is currently being bathed in a polar vortex with abnormally low temperatures. New Orleans had a snowstorm this week. Right now it is -24C here, but has been down in the low -30's in the past few days. Fortunately the western slope of the Rockies, where I will be skiing, are warmer, and do have a lot of snow. With the temps we have been having here on the prairies, though, you are a very cruel man telling me about being 15C above normal! Tell ya what; I'll wish for seasonable snow and temps for you, so you can get out on the x-countries, if you'll wish for the same for me;)

It did teach me that if I intend to continue enjoying an active lifestyle (and I do) a little respect for the effects of anticoagulation is most definitely in order. First ski trip since OHS and my introduction to warfarin is currently booked for the first week in March; I have a new helmet out of respect for the anticoagulation gods

Amen to that, I'm not going near a piste again without a good covering of some sort of hi-tech molecular bonding armour :) As for the description of your injury, it does sound similar to how I've noticed they develop over the first few days and into the weeks. I've wondered if even the effect of injuring yourself on Warfarin can somehow influence your INR and make it higher, it's probably coincidence because I can't find anyone else who suspects the same.

The snowboarding fall/bruised ass I posted about is eventually back to normal after four weeks, it never did bruise where I actually injured it but a bruise did slowly move its way down my leg over the course of three weeks, eventually ending up as a purple/yellow splodge around my calf. Curious, I guess gravity affects bruising?

Anyhoo, have a great time on the slopes and here's to the anticoag gods! And high five for having a SJM mitral valve installed four months after I did :)

You are absolutely correct; gravity is the culprit. You bleed in one location, and then gravity moves the blood downhill, where it eventually makes it to the surface as a visible bruise. As for injury affecting INR, I've wondered that a little bit myself. In my case I had just tested the night before my injury; my INR was way out of whack then, so I didn't need any further excuse for my calf blowing up like a balloon;) Thanks for the high five (back at ya!) and for the positive waves re: my ski trip. Now I just have to get my legs in decent shape to avoid that special hell that comes from your screaming quads informing you about halfway through day 2 that you really should have done a few more sessions on the bike….

Now I just have to get my legs in decent shape to avoid that special hell that comes from your screaming quads informing you about halfway through day 2 that you really should have done a few more sessions on the bike….
Pick up a good-sized dumbbell in each hand and do a whole bunch of crossover step-ups. About the only other thing that gives me as much of a quad workout is reverse lunges.

Doing split squats, lunges, squats, deadlifts, and a special little ski simulation plyo (but not all at once!). Hadn't thought about crossover step-ups; have to try it, and if it's really miserable, start making my rehab patients do it bwahahaha!

Sorry that it took me until now to see this thread.
I broke a bone in my wrist on December 9. I fell, landing on both wrists, but had no bruising in either wrist or hand. My INR was in range at the time -- I suspect that bruising may be related to WHERE the injury occurred.
I dropped a marble block on my foot years ago, and got the famous purple - to - yellow bruising, and I've had other injuries that have done the same thing.

One of the doctors at the clinic where I went for follow up of my broken wrist didn't want me to take Ibuprofen. In his words, the Ibuprofen makes the platelets less sticky. The effect of Ibuprofen doesn't show up in the INR. So -- if your INR was 7.2 -- it was 7.2 because you were either taking too much warfarin or because some other factors increased it -- and taking Ibuprofen just made matters even worse.

I see that there may be more replies - and I hope that I'm not treading on ground that was already well covered, but I wanted to share my experience, and to share what this somewhat trustworthy physician said about Ibuprofen's effects.

Latest posts

Back