Abnormal Treadmill

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Stephens

Finally, 16 months after my surgery, I decide to get agressive about getting back into shape. I was in lousy shape before my surgery, had a very long recovery, and have been struggling with some irrational (or so I thought) fears of hard exercise ever since the operation. I have a completely sedentary office job, and that has made it even harder. I heard of an immer$ive, inten$e program that my employer would pay for if I stuck with a strict regimen of scheduled exercise, counseling, checkups, extremely structured. Part of the requirement is my doctor's approval.

He said not until I underwent a Stress Treadmill...which I did this morning, with disappointing results. My blood pressure dropped to 100/60 during the test, and I tired in about 5 - 6 minutes. He said he wasn't surprised that I wasn't able to make it for 10 minutes, given how out of shape I was, but the fact that my pressure dropped is "of concern." I'm now sheduled for a "stress Echo" at the big hospital downtown on Monday, so I get a whole weekend to fret about it (that's what I'm good at - fretting.)

He said he just wants to check out how well the pumping action is working, but the things I worry about are:
  • I was told to go ahead and take my Beta Blocker this morning - seems to me that this could have limited my performance
  • I hope one or both of my valves aren't leaking (they looked fine in an echo last Sept) and I don't have SOB
  • Did the radiation that damaged my native valves also take a toll on the hear muscle?
  • Maybe I was dehydrated - I hit the diuretics pretty hard over the last week.

I was just thinking the other day how I hadn't really had any worries since my surgery. Silly me.

I'm inclined to blame the Beta blocker. They knock me for a loop when it comes to performance. I wouldn't go gettin your panties in a bunch over this yet. ;)

Hi Johnny-

Sounds like you're getting way, way ahead of yourself. Wait until after the additional tests are done. It could be the beta blocker, but maybe it's because you haven't done any exercise in a long time. I bet once you are cleared, if you do things gradually, all will work out for you.

You can't expect that muscles which haven't worked hard for a long time, would spring into action suddenly, and your heart is a muscle too. The stress test is not the easiest thing to finish, That's why they call it a stress test.

Wishing you all the best.

Johnny:
You are not silly and you don't have any worries yet. There are so many things that could account for the results you obtained, and most of them pose little problem for you. But, I know how earth shattering it can be to have to wait for results and answers. My very best wishes and prayers are with you. Try to do things that will take your mind off the wait....Easier said than done, but possible....
Kindest regards,
Blanche

Johnny,

I'll be anxious to hear how your stress echo goes. I hope it shows that you are ready to immerse yourself into a fitness program. I start cardiac rehab Sept.25th and I have this excitement that I just might get back in shape. Just the hope of it makes you feel better. Even better yet if your employer with absorb the cost! I wish the very very best for you Johnny for you have been an encourager to me for many months....thanks!

Johnny,

Gosh darn it, waiting over the weekend is hard. :( Especially when you are prone to fretting. Maybe you could do the Zen thing and concentrate on fretting until you are one with the fretting (in other words, until you are TOTALLY sick of it! :D ). I hope Monday goes well for you. . .

The power is on the fritz here. . .gotta goo. will keep you in my thoughts!

Melissa

Johnny,

I agree with the others. If you have been sedentary for, as you say 16 some months, then you are going to take a while to get up to speed.

I try and exercise at least four days a week for about an hour at a time. While I can't say I really enjoy it I know it is good for me. So start slow, be regular and build up your strength. Use the treadmill and stationary bike.

I trust the results of your test will be OK and you are in the Gym pumping it up.

Walter

Johnny,

First of all, congratualtions on taking the bull by the horns and determining to get into shape. That is SO important.

As for fretting, isn't that what all of us at vr.com specialize in? :) My understanding of beta blockers is that can be the reason for the drop in pressure. As for leakage, did your doc hear a murmur?

I know the wariting is the hard part. We've all been through it enough to know you can't put pink elephants out of your mind if someone says "Don't think of pink elephants". I hope you can do something fun, though. As I recall, having lived in Seattle for two years, September is an awesome month. Can you do a UofW game? Trip to Victoria? What's that hotel there? I had a Bloody Mary (or two or maybe it was three, I don't remember) there on a Sunday and I had no problems the rest of the day (until my hangover on Monday morning).

Good luck and let us know.

Paul

You will be fine

You will be fine

Johnny,

I know about fretting! Husband accuses me of worrying myself sick! I won't say don't do it, but do try to stay busy and keep the worries at bay.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers,

stop that frettin'!!

stop that frettin'!!

Johnny,

Why did they wait so long to do the stress treadmill? I was afraid to do any extreme exercise right after my surgery too. I think that might be why my cardio got me a stress treadmill and started in cardiac rehab so soon. (Like a month after surgery) I also stayed on my regular meds for the treadmill test. I take toprol XL. Since that?s what you do all the time, I think that?s what they want to see. Also, my blood pressure is always around 100/70. Is yours normally a lot higher than that?

Stop all that frettin?!! I bet you?re okay... you just need a little exercise. :p

Best wishes, Johnny!!

Hi Johnny,

I tend to beleive what Ross stated about the beta blocker. Can't get my heart rate above 100 when riding my bike. Resting rate is in the low to high 70's. I am certain your valves are doing just fine! Your body just requires a bit of fine tuning. Don't we all.:D

Take care and please keep us posted.

WHOA Johnny, sounds like some Type A behavior coming to the fore. :D :D When it comes to exercise, "ya gotta walk before you can run" (literally).

If you can still qualify for Cardiac Rehab, that would be an EXCELLENT place to start. Get those muscles toned up SLOWLY with monitors and a cardiac nurse keeping an eye on you. THEN go for the 'big game'. If not, at least go visit some rehab classes to observe and learn the exercises they do, especially including the warm up and cool down stretches. They are very important.

Have you been doing any walking around home?
If not, "walk the dog" for starters, including stops
to 'smell the aromas'. Dogs know how to NOT
overdo it. :)

'AL Capshaw'

(kindly forgive these little barbs,
you know we care about ya)

Hey Johnny,
Ross is right, it could be the Beta Blocker. During my 12 weeks of cardiac rehab I never got above 116/72 for a B/P and my pulse rate was right around 110 with a low of 80. I have been on a lopressor. My stress treadmill before rehab I was about the same. I hope everything checks out OK for so you can continue your exercise program.
Take Care and keep up posted.

Dave
Heart Center of the Rockies

Thanks folks

Thanks folks

As usual, you folks have done much to calm me down. Thanks for your very caring responses. I can see that I was just really surprised by this, and I need to just play it out and deal with it slowly. Those of you pointing out that I'm pushing too hard and getting way ahead of myself are absolutely right. I think those suggesting I will have to ease into this are right.

Thanks again all, and I'll update you as soon as I know more next week.

[fret off]

It's great!

It's great!

The exercise program will help a lot, I swear by cardiac rehab.

Let us know how the stress echo turns out.

Terry

Johnny

Johnny

Good luck on Monday, and try not to ruin your weekend by worrying so much. Get plenty of sleep so that you will feel at your best when you hit that treadmill.

I'll be thinking of you!

hi johnny!
i'm sorry you had this "scare", but i bet everyone here is right... between the beta blockers and being out of shape, i bet
that was all it was.
please try and keep busy and monday will be here soon enough.
will you please let us know how the stress echo goes as soon as you know?
you are in our thoughts and prayers.
stay well, sylvia

Johnny, try not to worry too much. It's tough. I think a lot of people underestimate the mental side of what this stuff does to us. I found I suffered from many of the same thoughts as you are now. Worry and fear can take us over.

I also think that most of us feel that after 16 months, we should be fully recovered and 100% back to normal. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that we have those days where you feel like a million bucks and then suddenly, you have a string of days where you have zero energy. I had the same problem. This go around, it probably took me 2 years to get everything back to normal.

Even though it may not be responsible for the whole problem, the beta blockers do make a huge difference. I found the same as you do when I was on them. A week after getting off them, I began to notice a significant improvement in physical performance.

Johnny, I do not have any advice to offer, but I wanted to let you know that I sympathize and I think there are a lot of us who may have slower recoveries than others.

Try your best to relax and let us hope for the best.
Keep well.
Kev

Standing by

Standing by

I just got back from the hospital, and while I don't have the official word yet, it seems things went a little better today. The stress-echo was a bigger production than I thought it would be. There were 2 nurses and the technician, and they gave me an I.V. of "contrast agent" to better illuminate the heart chambers during the echo.

Good news is, my blood pressure did not drop like it did last week, and I achieved the target heart rate they wanted me to get to. However, I still couldn't hold it very long, but I did go 30 sec longer this time. They said the "before" echo taken at the beginning of the test showed I had good heart function "at rest."

They were really pushing me to take it right to the edge of my performance - I haven't had someone pushing me like that since my track days in high school :D

I'll update everyone once I hear the official report from the Doc, possibly tomorrow, but more likely Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back