Abbreviation for LVH on echo?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonbet

Does anyone know what abbreviation or acronym indicates Left Ventricular Hypertrophy on the hard copy of an echocardiogram?
Drs. said it was mild, and I'd like to compare most recent echo with the one from 2 years ago at same clinic.
I'd also be interested in your opinions or experiences with LVH pre-surgery. Seems mild LVH shouldn't be concerning since my other hemodynamics are moderate/ borderline severe and I don't have classic s/s. But I do a cardio w/o regularly. Thnx, bonbet

Hi - my echocardiogram last March report says "mild concentric LVH" so I'm looking at the actual figures right now on the print out and there is no indication there as to why the report says that. At the time, my cardiologist said it was an "interpretation" of the figures by the echo technician, but still the cardiologist wrote I had mild LVH in his report to my GP - no idea why. What's weird for me is that I NEVER had any degree of left ventricular hypertrophy pre surgery and that echo saying I have it now was done 14 months after surgery ! I shall ask my cardiologist when I see him again end of July.

"Mild concentric LVH" is also what appears in the narrative on my Echo and Drs notes. But, for various reasons, I want to compare actual measurements. This past May and 2 years ago at MC they said I had mild LVH. One year ago at another clinic they said none. Both clinics recommend surgery soon. Frankly, I am skeptical that it's time for surgery.
But, because I w/o regularly, I do fear unresolvable damage to my LV. So I want to verify numbers as part of my decision making process. So, I would also wonder if you actually had NO LVH before surgery or if it is more a matter of " reporting" inconsistencies?

Hi Bonbet - I'm looking at the measurement numbers on four echos that I have print outs for, one from prior to surgery and three from post surgery. Prior to the pre-surgery one that I have in front of me I never got print outs which is a shame. I can't see anything in the numbers on the print outs that looks obviously like it's 'wrong' with my left ventricle (not that I can read these things like an echo technicianor cardiologist !) apart from the aortic valve in the pre-surgery echo. I had an echo a week post surgery and then three months later and they were fine, apart from some "segmental wall motion" which is normal after surgery, neither said I had LVF. My cardiologist also did an echo last August for which I don't have a print out for but he never said I had LVF then, only the "segmental wall motion". It is simply the echo from this March which said it so I have to think it's the technician's interpretation.

I'm not sure how LVF would show on an echo to be honest because, as I said, the numbers look like they're within the reference ranges apart from the aortic valve prior to surgery. I'm looking at the wall thickness numbers too and they're within the reference ranges. My Ejection Fraction has always been in the 70s, even prior to surgery, too.

I too work out regularly, even right up until surgery though I didn't lift quite so heavy then. In the UK, where I live, they try to do valve replacement surgery before there are symptoms so that there isn't LVF which can be permanent otherwise. At the risk of boring the regulars here, at the echo I had prior to surgery the technician asked me if I did weight lifting as he could tell that my heart muscle was strong like weight lifters have ! My GP said that would have helped my heart cope with the BAV stenosis.

Latest posts

Back