A-Fib

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mileena46

I thought I was so past this! I am a little over 2 years with my mitral valve replacement and last night went into A-Fib for several hours. It wore me out so bad, I couldn't go to work today as I feel like I worked all night! Once I finally went to sleep, I woke up in sinus rhythm. I am so upset today I am crying and worrying that I am going into a depressive state. I hate nothing more than A-Fib. It hasn't been that long since I had my annual visit with the cardio and he told me that my left atrium had NOT gone down any and remained very large. I just figured since it had been this long, that it might behind me. I honestly do not think I can live with A-Fib. I had it off and on before surgery and finally went in and stayed until I had my valve replacement. I also had a mini-maze. I have been cardio-verted one time but that was within a couple of months of the surgery. Is there anything besides staying on the meds...(which I am still on) to avoid going into A-Fib??

Mileena

Mileena, Sorry that you popped back into a-fib for a while. You have to be glad that you went back out of it on your own though! Are you still taking Amiodarone? If so, there are a couple of other drugs out there you may consider switching to that may work better for you. You may also talk to your cardio about whether the area that is causing your a-fib could be ablated. I've heard of some having that while others, unfortunately, have to live with it.

I'd put a call into your Dr. today if you haven't already to let him know what happened and see what options you may have.

Kim

Mileena,
I would definitely discuss this (and your feelings about it) with your cardio. If you aren't yet taking any meds to control the propensity for A-fib, maybe they can prescribe some. There are several possible meds. I would just try to get them to keep amiodarone as the drug of last resort, due to its nasty side effects. When I was first out from surgery and had some bouts of A-fib, I took amiodarone for a couple of months. My cardio said that if I had needed it permanently (or longer term than a month or so) he would have wanted me switched over to multaq, which is similar to amiodarone but without most of its side effects.

Check it out. Don't just suffer it and feel lousy. You're entitled to better than that.

Latest posts

Back