6 days after surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clement

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
First, a big thanks to Hans, the creator of this website.

Second, about my surgery:
Took place 6 days ago in Portland, OR - Providence St Vincent.
Mechanical aortic valve + dacron tube for aorta replacement (age 43).
Surgeon = Dr Swanson.

If I could sum it up: Everything went OK except for the pain.
As the medical staff mentioned, a fit muscular chest will actually increase the pain because of the muscle volume.
I was not ready for this.

I can hear the mechanical valve all the time. I do not care. All I want is get back to my "normal" life.

The nurses were outstanding. Very caring. I had a private room with a nice view.

Just one comment:
Why do the restrooms have to smell bad? Can't hospitals clean them up?

In overall, a quite traumatic and painful experience. But still better than death.
And I find it kind of "cool" to have piece of plastic in my heart.

All the best,
Clement

Hi Clement. That's great news. I'm 42 and due for valve replacement due to congenital bicuspid valve on Feb 22 at Epworth Hospital in Melbourne.
I had two childhood surgeries and NOT looking forward to this but, conversely, REALLY want it done.
Are you home or still in hospital?
What surprised you most about the surgery? Was your pain not managed well?
And how's your incision looking?
Hope you continue to improve. And yes, much better than death!
Allison

Hans?

Hans?

Welcome back Clement. It's good to hear you're on the road to recovery. Things will get better.

BTW, who's Hans? I think you meant Hank in your reference to the creator of the website.

-Philip

I think it's wonderful you are posting here so soon after surgery and a few typos are of no consequence. :) It's outstanding you are able to put your thoughts to keyboard and post for us.

Congratulations on being the other side of the mountain and on the road to recovery.
Very sorry you experienced pain that wasn't handled fully. Hopefully as your healing is progressing, that is improving.
You muscular, active fellows are usually eager to get back to your training but listen to your doctors and take it slow. The rewards of healing properly the first time are great. Don't jeopardize that healing sternum.

Best wishes you have a bump free recovery.
Let us know how you are doing.

Answers to questions

Answers to questions

Hi all,

In terms of pain, I suppose that I was a bit naive.
I have always been relatively fit, and have done lots of yoga in the last 2 years.

Consequently, due to my age (43) and good health, I thought that the pain would be lower than with most people.

Not the case at all. Actually, some 80-year old women with low muscle mass experience lower pain.

What kind of pain? Mostly on the chest, but also ribs and back.
Also, staying in a bed all-day long is not good for the spine. I started getting back ache quickly and had to sleep with my legs kind of bended.

The nurses at the hospital are concerned about providing too much pain killer (potential kidney damage) and I had to remind them often that it was time to get more.

I am back home 6 days after surgery.
My biggest issue is that I cannot sleep on my sides ( I have tried and it hurt).
Sleeping on the carpeting floor with my legs up is actually the best.

Concerning the incision (The goal was to put a St Jude mechanical + graft) and all the holes in my body, I do not want to look at it. Too scary right now.

When I first arrived at the hospital on 01/04 in the morning and was shown my room with the patient shirt, I just panicked and ran to the restrooms where I stayed for 5 min). The nurse was concerned and called a doctor to calm me down.

The easiest part of the hospital stay: The angiogram. I did not feel anything and it lasted 30 min only.

Best wishes,
Clement

Way to go Clement, congrats !
..... I wasnt made aware of the "physically fit" thing either and had quite a bit (still do get some) pain from the sternum.

Congrats on your recovery.

Wishing you no surprises and all smooth sailing. I had my surgery when I just trunred 50, and boy o boy, did I have pain. For me, it was in my neck, (just a bit from laying all the time), and in my arms. Both arms hurt so bad I often found myself cringing. For about 4 weeks I had this too. Percocets, vicodins, shots of ,,,well you get the picture. Nothing worked. Sleeping was a four letter word. Just didn't happen. Then, about 5 weeks after surgery, I felt well. Just like that. You hear stories about good days and bad days, well for me, it was more like good hours versus bad hours, then you somehow snap back.

Trust me, you will get over it, sooner rather than later.

Glad you're doing so well. I'd read too that patients with more muscular torsos and backs could have more pain, from the small muscle tears and such I think. Were you given a spirometer? If you were, keep up with that until given instructions otherwise; it can really help a patient to avoid potential post-op complications. I'm like Neal in that I definitely noticed I was feeling better around five weeks. Best wishes and take care :)

If I could sum it up: Everything went OK except for the pain.
As the medical staff mentioned, a fit muscular chest will actually increase the pain because of the muscle volume.
Well, maybe that explains it. I have small to no pecs and had ZERO pain. But I can't quite see how the pecs relate to shoulder and rib pain. I had no pain anywhere and needed no pain meds. I lucked out in that regard. Soon you will be home and doing the main healing and rehab. The pain will become a distant memory.

Man, Providence gave you a BIG heart pillow. Stanford only gave me a little one.:)

Clement - Welcome to the other side of the mountain! Sounds like your surgery went as planned - very well. I'm out here hitting all the speed bumps so that the rest of you can hav smooth sailing. May you have a quick, uneventful recovery!

Good to hear things went well. I still carry a decent amount of upper body muscle from my days of lifting religiously in HS, Marines and then college, so I know what you mean about the pain. It wasn't sharp pain, rathe discomfort.

Latest posts

Back