5 Weeks Post Op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim B

Thanks to Ross for posting the updates sent by my sister-in-law the day of my surgery. I don't know why I've waited so long to start posting here again, other than it takes a lot of effort and concentration for me to compose my thoughts these days. I could blame it on pumphead, but I think it has more to do with being zombied out on meds and just plain laziness. :eek:

My surgery was performed 5/28/09 by the wonderful Dr. William Ryan. I went with the On-X valve. The day before surgery I found out the CT scan showed a 4.5 aneurysm of the ascending aorta, so that was fixed and a pulmonary vein ablation (MiniMaze) was done. Dr. Ryan also did a myectomy (sliced off some of the enlarged left ventricle), which was something I didn't expect. I was VERY fortunate to have such a competent surgeon, and the nurses told me my anesthesiologist was also the best of the best. I don't have any memory of being on the vent tube and I never had any nausea. The pain wasn't too intense but I was very uncomfortable at times during the first couple of days due to back pain and extreme thirst. On the third day I had something inserted through the chest to inflate a partially collapsed lung. Other than that, there were no complications.

I learned that in the future I need to ask for paper tape because what they used, when it was removed, caused scrapes across my neck, chest and stomach. For a while the tape burns looked worse than the incisions, and I still have scars from them. The chest incision is healing nicely in the middle, but the top inch and bottom inch are still red and swollen. The three drain holes are not doing so well. They are still open but slowly closing. The cardiologist said they aren't infected and will eventually heal.

The first few weeks at home were amazingly easy. I was able to move around without much trouble and had to watch myself to not overdo it. The past couple weeks I'm afraid there hasn't been much progress. I get up, walk, shower, do a little cleaning at home, then just one other thing such as the grocery store or going out to eat, and I'm completely exhausted for the rest of the day. I haven't felt strong enough for cardiac rehab, but I'm going to push myself to start it next week. I'll also see Dr. Ryan for my follow up visit next week.

Well, enough for one post. I have to conserve my energy :) but will have more to add soon!

My scars also took a while....I used a non-medicated salve that worked great for me. Had a hard time wearing certain shirts for about 6 months.

Latest posts

Back