2 models of St jude

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalcat

hi everyone. My doc planted me a st. jude masters series mechanical aortic valve. however st jude has a recent valve Regent. The difference is EOA (effective orifice area) and supraannular position says a company officer. I want to ask you: will a person with regent be better than me or i get more tired than the person with regent valve?

To compare the two versions of the St. Jude Valves,
you may want to visit their website at www.sjm.com

MY understanding is that the Masters Series Valves evolved from the original St. Jude BiLeaflet Valve introduced in (around?) 1977. These are the valves that hold the record for durability.

The St. Jude Regent is a Modified BiLeaflet Design introduced in the 1990's for use in the Aortic Position ONLY. There is an interesting article on page 1446 of the June 2005 issue of
The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
which discusses issues experienced by some surgeons
(and their patients) with that Valve

MY first preference is the On-X valves.

MY second preference is the St. Jude MASTER's Series Valves.

I didnot know there are two versiond of St Jude valves

ummmm....interesting.......thank-you.

now i have to read up and see which one i'm gonna guess the Doc.

will replace mine with,till i see him for confirmation.

zipper2 (DEB)

The Regent has work well for me. However, I don't have anything to compare it to as far as beng tired.

royalcat:

23mm bileaflet mechanical valves rarely cause any hemodynamic compromise of clinical significance that I am aware of. There is a standard Master's Series and an HP Master's Series which is the supraannular version. The Regent is, as mentioned, a newer valve with modifications to the carbon orifice. Do you know the specific model number?

Not sure if this applies here BUT my Regent valve is blenderizing my red blood cells. Maybe just an anomoly? Talk about being tired!

I am intersted in any further info on this thread and will follow it closely. Not that I am thinking of changing mine!!!!

Donna

royalcat:

23mm bileaflet mechanical valves rarely cause any hemodynamic compromise of clinical significance that I am aware of. There is a standard Master's Series and an HP Master's Series which is the supraannular version. The Regent is, as mentioned, a newer valve with modifications to the carbon orifice. Do you know the specific model number?

Mr. Magoo -

Since you appear to have some 'inside knowledlge' of St. Jude, can you provide the NAME (and possibly a Telephone Number and extension) of someone at St. Jude who would be willing to discuss Technical Design Aspects of their Valves. Someone willing to discuss preformance and results would be a real plus.

I ask this because when I called St. Jude, it was apparent that I knew more about their Heart Valves than any of the people I was referred to (or that none of them were willing to discuss *anything* of substance with a patient). FWIW, I have a St. Jude Master's Series Valve in the Aortic Position.

What is an "HP Master's Series" valve?
(i.e. what does the HP stand for?)

'AL Capshaw'

No inside knowledge. I would get a number off their website for their corporate headquarters. Call and ask for the marketing product manager for mechanical heart valves. Otherwise, call your surgeons office and get the name of their local SJM valve rep. If the one in your area has been around for awhile, they are usually pretty sharp.

HP is Hemodynamic Plus. It designates that the valve has a supraannular cuff. In theory, if the patient has a 23mm annulus, the surgeon could implant the standard 23mm with an intraannular cuff or a 23 HP; the difference being that the HP has the carbon orifice and leaflets of the 25 standard. Hence better hemodynamic performance although many would argue that in aortic valves, once you get above 23, its not a big issue. Maximizing hemodynamics is more critical in small aortic roots.

For a fellow who is blessed with a valve that is arguably one of the single most successful medical devices in the history of humankind, you sure do spend a lot of time and effort trying to convince us all otherwise.

To each his own I guess.

being tired is just an example i just thought, not a specific case. i am ok with my valve maybe surgical conditions were not appropriate for regent valve. my surgeon prefered it. but you think about it after learning there is a new valve.

Not sure if this applies here BUT my Regent valve is blenderizing my red blood cells. Maybe just an anomoly? Talk about being tired!

I am intersted in any further info on this thread and will follow it closely. Not that I am thinking of changing mine!!!!

Donna

Donna,

For the edification of the readers (myself included), could you define what you mean by "blenderizing my red blood cells", and how this was determined and monitored?

I'm *guessing* that you are talking about Hemolysis.

Al, if you google HP St Jude Valve, you will get all kinds of info on it, including many links to published studies. Since the St. Jude valves are reported to be the most studied prosthetic valves, there is tons of information available at the touch of a few buttons.

Al,

Excuse my ignorance about hemolytic anemia and poor choice of words, I guess. My Hgb is 10, my haptoglobin is 7, retic count 1.3, LDH 205, ferririn 7. Therefore the dx of hemolytic anemia, I imagine.

I had an echo 2 weeks ago which reported my "valve is functiong fine". My cardio is aware of my labs and my Hemo Dr thinks it is my valve "failing".

I looked at my valve prototype and imagined my RBCs' getting "blenderized" by the leaflets. Now, you have to remember that my brain is lacking O2, so it may have been a stupid assumption.

Thank you for your knowledge and support.

~donna

Thanks for the update Donna.
I actually like the "blenderizing" reference,
but wanted more details (it's the Engineer in me).

You may want to edit your signature line
to indicate "St. Jude Regent" to clarify
which valve you have.

'AL'

Bina,I emailed my surgeon and he replied as to why I have a Regent in the mitral valve position.

"Your valve was too small for a standard valve, so we used a Regent aortic for the mitral. "

Thanks
Dr Glower

It was fun doing all the reading,,I hadnt given it a thought but its good to know all you can.

Latest posts

Back