2 Days and counting. Sept 24th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkeirl

I am 25 year old, based in the UK and due to go into hospital this wednesday 23rd, with operation the next day. Due to have an aortic valve replacement.

After talking on the lifestyle section i seemed more bothered about whether i could play basketball again as it is a big part of my life, now after everything has been decided everything else has set in worrying me.
The one thing i dread most is the build up, i feel sick now nevermind the day i have to spend in hospital before the procedure. Im not one for hospital and never had any procedures, i am dreading the anesthetic procedure.

I know the hospital in question has fantastic rates of survival 98.5%, and age is on my side, and the director of the whole unit is doing my procedure and he is 3rd in the UK in the amount of these procedure he does.
But you can never help but think. We are already in a minority, as we have to have this procedure so i am not one to trust fiqures.

Can anyone shed any light on there experience of going under, do you just go to sleep and the next thing your awake and have a nice scar?
Or am i going to have some spirtual experience looking over my body when they stop the heart?

I think i have watched to many horror movies with people waking up with there chest open. :)

Regards

There is really nothing to it. I had my AVR surgery on 7/27. They took me into the operating room and had me step up onto the table. Then things went quickly. I remember them telling me they were going to move my left arm, which they put straight out from the table. The very last thing I remember was the Dr. telling me that he was going to put this mask on my face to help me breath, and that is all I can remember. My surgery was at 2:30. Apparently, I first woke up at 7:00 and they said I was "aggitated" and they gave me more sedation. I have no memory of this. The next thing I can remember was being sat up in bed around midnight and they told me they were going to take my breathing tube out. They said they would count to 3, I was to cough, and then the tube was out. Very easy and I went right back to sleep. Woke up a few hours later and was very thirsty. They told me I could not have any water, but swabbed my lips with a wet sponge. Not very helpful, but it was something.

Try not to get yourself too worked up about it. I know that is easier said then done, but it won't be that bad. You are young, which really helps. I am 42 and they considered me young, so you will be fine. Just let the medical staff do their job and try to relax as much as possible. Gook luck and it will be over before you know it......

In my experience of "going under", I was almost looking forward to it. I figured it would be the best sleep I would ever of had :) and with the possibility of seeing myself was rather interesting. I know, you think I'm off my rocker, but it was the way I dealt with the whole ordeal instead of focusing on the procedure.
But in all honesty, I barely remember the mask coming down over my face as for waking up....that's a different story.
Ever had one of those mornings were you just don't want to get out bed? Your eyes still feel tired and you just don't want to open them and you simply don't want to move? Much like feeling your still drunk from the night before?
Waking up from anesthetic is much the same. You don't just "snap" out of it. You'll drift in and out of this sleeping state. The pain meds work wonders so you shouldn't feel to much discomfort.
As for seeing the scar, I didn't see mine (had to look for myself) till about 24 hours after surgery.
Oh, I didn't have any dreams or spiritual experience.

2 Days

2 Days

I can only imagine how it feels to be waiting and that close to the big day. Since I saw my cardio a couple of weeks ago if I don't keep myself busy I feel like I'm going to lose my mind. I'm currently trying to pick a surgeon for my AVR.

My Father had a quad bi pass years ago and said, as another poster here did, that they put you out, then when you wake up it's done. So it's no big deal. I don't really care about any of it at this point, except, of course, the waking up part...!!! I mean, I can't imagine NOT being scared to death (very BAD pun)!!!

I'm 48 and my kids are 8 and 11. My Dad says, the bad news is, you have to have this procedure. The goods news is, there is a procedure to fix the problem! You'll have it done and you'll be fine and you'll get on with your Life.

It made me feel better, hope it helps you a tiny bit! Good Luck and God Bless! Looking forward to your post-op post! You can give ME some tips!!

Best,
Dianne (Oakland, NJ)

You'll play basketball again, count on it.

As for the surgery, you'll most likely be given something to knock your memory out before you even get the OR and from there, you'll be in sleepy land until it's over. You'll wake up and be heavily sedated again for a while until your body can breath for itself and such.

Will you have an NDE? That's hard to say. Some people do, some people don't. The majority don't. Your going to be fine, especially if this is your first ever procedure. It's not like you've done this 2 or 3 times before. That's when it gets dicey.

until 'the day' we just kinda hang in limbo - wondrin - but the moment you walk through their door, things just mostly fall into place. You are beyond worrying by now, resigned that you are 'here' in their place and they will take charge and you will be okay. Bless you on your journey to a brand new life.

I had my second OHS a few weeks ago. They were done at different hospitals, but neither time did I see a mask or any procedure for the anesthesia. Both times they turned on some chemical that was feeding into my IV (without telling me), and I went out like a light. In fact, the first time, they actually knocked me out as they were wheeling me in to the operating room, so I never actually saw the place. The second time, I got to see the operating room and talk to some of the personnel before I winked out. But no warning, no explanations, no masks, no "count down from 100," or any other TV-type activities.

I remember everything clearly up until the moment I went out, and I remember waking up very clearly in both cases. When you wake up, remind yourself: "I'm alive. I made it!" It's a good way to start out.

You will likely get to meet your anesthesiologist before the surgery. There's no shame in telling him or her you'd rather be knocked out a bit early than having to lie there anticipating. There's really no rule that you have to participate in that part of the process.

Best wishes,

You can also look at it as we have the "easy" job - we get to sleep through the whole thing, while our families and loved ones have to sit on the edge of their seats and stare at the clocks for 4 or 5 hours. I have been on both sides and the patient experience is much easier !!!

I was given morphine to relax me even before I got into the operating room, so I don't even remember being wheeled into the OR. The next thing I knew, my husband was telling me that everything had gone very well. I was back in la-la land about 5 minutes after that.

Remember, although the heart is stopped, the circulation is NOT STOPPED, so you should not have any out-ob-body experiences!!!

your in Uk as well ! what hospital and surgeon are you going to have for your op , i am 2 weeks and counting . they say the waiting is the worst part lets hope thats right ! my mind takes me places i just dont want to go, pretty much the same thoughts you are having, the surgeon said age was on my side and i am 46 ! has your doctor given you anything for anxiety i have diazapam, many on here have something to help them through this
good luck and keep us posted

That is interesting that some patients have received sedatives right before the operation. My cardio gave me Xanax for the days leading up to the surgery to help with sleeping at night and it really did make a difference. But at my pre-op appointment, I was instructed not to take any the morning of the operation and they did not give me anything prior to going into the operation room. Apparently, they wanted to make sure I was coherent because just before being wheeled into the operating room, they asked me to confirm my name, birthdate, and what procedure I was having done. I guess that is how they cover themselves.

I really thought (and hoped) they would give me something just prior to the surgery, because I thought I would be a nervous wreck. But honestly, after waiting 2 months for the operation, I was just glad to be getting in there and getting it done. It was actually a relief and I could almost say I felt calm about it. And this was the first time I had ever been in a hospital. I am sure you will be the same way - the best part is getting it over with.

That is interesting that some patients have received sedatives right before the operation. My cardio gave me Xanax for the days leading up to the surgery to help with sleeping at night and it really did make a difference. But at my pre-op appointment, I was instructed not to take any the morning of the operation and they did not give me anything prior to going into the operation room. Apparently, they wanted to make sure I was coherent because just before being wheeled into the operating room, they asked me to confirm my name, birthdate, and what procedure I was having done. I guess that is how they cover themselves.

I really thought (and hoped) they would give me something just prior to the surgery, because I thought I would be a nervous wreck. But honestly, after waiting 2 months for the operation, I was just glad to be getting in there and getting it done. It was actually a relief and I could almost say I felt calm about it. And this was the first time I had ever been in a hospital. I am sure you will be the same way - the best part is getting it over with.

When Justin was a toddler (20 years ago) the thinking was not to give anything to the heart patients before surgery to relax them ect. We signed for Justin to be in a trial, because the surgeons were thinking it probably was better for the patient (especially kids) and less traumatic to be given something like versed ( happy Juice) before they went to the OR.

Welcome rkeirl,

Sorry, can't shed light on the 'going under' part as I haven't been there yet. :)
Just wanted to extend my best wishes for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery!

Hi,
The day before surgery I realized that the operation was going to be the EASY part for me and the recovery was going to be the tough part. However, I was very nervous about "going under" and did not want any visuals beforehand of the OR or place myself on the operating table. The anesthesiologists couldn't put me all the way under without being in the OR, but they were able to give me something in the prep room to sedate me. I don't remember anything after receiving the sedative until I woke up in ICU. I too was concerned about waking up during the procedure but the anesthesiologists explained that it would not happen as there would be 2 of them monitoring my brain activity the entire time and they could tell if my consciousness was coming into light. The challenges begun once they moved me to the step down unit and I was more coherent.
Be strong and positive and you'll get through it! Wishing you all the best for your procedure and recovery!

I go under on Wed the 23rd... already talked with the anesthesiologist and he indicated there would be several steps before going completely under. The first is the simple line in the wrist for meds, the next is the cath that would be put in from the neck to monitor everything from the inside... this is done after the first meds so it doesn't hurt or anything or after you are completely out... apparently this will depend on how the person at the time wants to do it. In either case, he assured me there would be no pain or discomfort and then your out. What I did learn and it was reiterated in a previous post... when back in ICU after the procedure, coming back out of the meds is slow and many do not remember until after the throat tube is removed or just before. That part is something I am worried about, but sounds like it won't be too bad.

Good luck and godspeed.

Thankyou to everyone for the advice and messages, i think i am a little more calm after reading everyones experiences. i think the only problem now is having two divorced parents in same room, with my girlfriend stuck in the middle perhap i should be more worried about them.
Well i think this will be my last post before my operation as i am not sure what access i will have to the internet wed & thursday morning. So i will give a post op thread as soon as i am capable.
Once again thankyou to everyone and hope to speak to you all in a few days or so.

P.S
your in Uk as well ! what hospital and surgeon are you going to have for your op

I am up north in Middlesbrough, going to james cook hospital.
They have a great unit there with great record, so best place i think.
Not sure of my consultants & surgeon names, but they are both directors of the cardiac units, so good experienced hands.

My AVR was 10 weeks ago and I never saw the OR. Was given some pre-medication in my room about half hour before operation which knocked me more that a couple of tots of whiskey:), and then they wheeled me to a room just outside the OR where the Asst anesthesiologist came to my bed and put a line in my arm and asked me a question or two and then I was gone. No dreams.Next thing being vaguely aware of breathing tubes being removed 24 hours later, but still heavily sedated for another 24 hours before being conciously aware of my surroundings. Aparently I chatted to my wife and other visitors in that 48 hours but I cannot remember that.
Wishing you all the best and in another day you will be on the other side!

Johan

i have just got back from papworth hospital for pre-op checks and they show a dvd of what to expect on your stay very informative day by day account from admission to sending home , they give a pre- med sedative then you stay in the bed and they wheel you down to they OR where you are knocked out fully, i have also been given a number to call if i have any worries or need info , might be worth you giving your hospital a call put your mind at rest

Well im not hoping to be on the other side, that would bad in my books.
Most definatley want to come back to this side.

He was talking about the other side of the Mountain. Around here OHS is like a mountain, with all the pre-op ect climbing the mountain, the very top is surgery and the other side is you made it, life is good, now work on recovering..

Back