1st post! question for the ladies... kind of embarrasing.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nancy, point well taken. I was asked about the coloring and if it was well formed, so I described it to the best of my ability. This was my first time to have any type of surgery, so I have managed to live for many years with complete poo privacy. Maybe I can just take a picture and email it to them next time. :) That would be slighly less embarrasing.

I think that one of the first things medical people learn is how to get used to whatever exudates are coming out of patient's bodies.

If they can't get over that, then how could they possibly function in a hospital setting with so many terribly ill people.

And they also have to get over nekkid bodies.

So trying to remain modest is nice, but not at all necessary.

My husband had so many medical problems and hospitalizations. He had no illusions about modesty.

I'll never forget one time when he had been in the hospital for quite a while. They had a skin team of a couple or three nurses at this hospital whose job it was to observe patients for any start of bed sores. They examined the back and the bottom. Well, Joe was standing doing something or other when they came in, and they told him what they were there for, he promptly drop trow and mooned them. They laughed so hard.

Good thing I checked back on this thread before my breakfast....more poo talk. :)
The nurse didn't ask to look at my BM, but maybe that was because hubby and I were in the bathroom arguing about my "clean freak" issues. ;)
But I did tell her that I went and it was "pretty".

Thank you for asking this question. The replies to your post were very helpful for me to read as I was one who had my period start 2 days after surgery despite the fact that I had just had it 2 weeks before. The nurses said it was common due to stress.

Funny how you mention your experience when you were 12. When I was 11, I was having major hip surgery (that was the day my AS was found during pre surgery testing) the same thing happened to me! I had forgotten about the connection till I read this thread. The stress really does a number on us doesn't it?

It really didn't amount to any problem at all. I wouldn't let it worry you. Just go prepared as the nurses admitted that they don't encounter it too often because of the average age of their patients and they kind of had to go searching for supplies.

This is a great place to ask embarrassing questions! I wondered the same thing. My hospital "answered" it by reminding me to bring pads with me -- turns out that any woman, no matter where she is in her cycle, is likely to get her period right after surgery. I can't remember the reason why. Don't be surprised if your surgeon or hospital warns you about this.

I started my period the day before surgery. I must have told about 10 different people the day of surgery since I also had an angiogram the morning of too. It was no big deal. They have seen it all. I thought for certain that my period would stop immediately after surgery, but it did not. At least I didn't feel any cramps with all of the pain medication. Best of luck with your surgery!

Gee it's great not having a period anymore...my only worries were wiping my butt, almost bought that "butt wiper apparatice", but figured I'd be laughed at, my second worry was keeping the back of the gown closed, my family told me that even when i was drugged i kept asking for a safety pin.....
I found it funny when the nurse asked me all the time if I had a bowel movement. I finally told her the colace gave me a symphony....
Dignity is out the door in the hospital, and afterwards you don't even care. :)

Welcome! I am glad you asked this question cause I have been thinking the same thing. I had that wonderful ablation procedure that burns the lining in your uterus so you never have one again. My doc said sometimes it does not work. I had it done last September everything was great, then to my surprise it came back. It was about two months ago when the stress started to build realizing surgery would be coming up. Now sooner than I thought (in 2 weeks) and I am sure I will probably have it then, stressed or not.

So happy you are here and you asked such a great questions for us gals! :)

Lori

HI Hedgewick!

Welcome to the forum, you've found the RIGHT PLACE!
Please do not feel embarressed, by any questions you might have. That is what we are here for!

I can't help with this one, being I was way past that stage in my life when I had my AVR. Try not to worry about it. Mention your concern to your Dr. I am sure the hospital folks deal with this sort of thing quiet frequently.

Good luck to you, and please keep us posted!

yup im sorry to confirm this is true-it happened to me 2 days after surgery and i had just had it and been done with it the week before. And the same thing when I was 12 and at camp away from home for the first time! the funny thing for me was that the nurses didnt have any gear for me because i was too young! (um- im 39) to be on the heart floor! anyways good luck and dont worry-! or at least try not to :)

I didn't realize I was going to the hospital when I visited my cardiologist and was also on my period, so I didn't even bring a large supply of pads! The first thing I told the nurses was..I needed pads...then around surgery time (2-3 days later) I stopped my period...had the surgery and right away started it again! The cath was still in, which made for an interesting mess, but it came out that evening and the nurses did tell me that I was having a SECOND stress period! Lovely ain't it?

Mileena

Latest posts

Back