18th valversary for my bovine valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.........But the main takeaway from all this is, now, I feel I can give bio an honest consideration; you've all given me great confidence on judging both mechanic and bio equally.

PS To EVERYBODY who posts in here, I've learned soooo much, with the links to medical reports, personal experiences, etc.; thanks to all of you for helping me wade into this with more knowledge.
I think providing information and/or dispelling misinformation is all this forum is designed to do. All artificial heart valves are "fixes".....they are not "cures" and I hope the information we share helps point the patient in a direction that best solves his, or her problem.

Macdaddy, you are in the proverbial "catbird seat" at your age of 71, you can go either way with an equal likelihood of success.

Thank you to both of you for you reply. My Dad's name was Mac so hence the name. Since I'm new to blogs (my first) and this forum, please don't misunderstand my initial impressions, they were mearly my uninformed thoughts. There seem to be a lot of really well informed folks in here and I'm grateful for all I've learned so far.

I thought TAVR was a technique, not a product, but now it appears I'm mistaken??? Yes, my cardiologist has recommended me to a surgeion in her "group" that does TAVR. Is TAVR a type of valve? So Beach77, you are correct and that's all I've heard since this was presented to me 5 weeks ago, if 5-10 years max, before calcification would require another valve replacement....perhaps valve-in-valse as you mention.

I'm REALLY out of my depth here and I'm finding resources difficult to understand and assimilate. I read about a valve called Inspiris Resilla, supposed to have a new treatment that has very promising resistance to calcification...I don't know. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the TAVR *Transcathiter Aortic Valve Replacement) being a product and not a procedure...lol. The information I was given is by a company called Edwards, that's all I know, the rest of the package "seemed" pretty generic.

Since I done in here, I'll just ask...anyone who can assist me with familiarization of my bio options; well....I'd really appreciate that input. I'm a recovering engineer, and tend to analyze everything to excess. But, in this caser, I could be analyzing when my final breath takes place, and that's definitely not my goal. I just don't want to jump into the first alternative, without knowing it's my best alternative.

Once again, "thank you" both for your response.

Since I done in here, I'll just ask...anyone who can assist me with familiarization of my bio options; well....I'd really appreciate that input.
Hi macdaddy - The Inspiris Resilia valve is just the latest valve to be produced by Edwards Lifesciences. You’ll see in my bio below that my aortic valve is an Edwards Magna Ease valve. The Edwards Magna Ease was the latest aortic valve to be in production when I had my AVR, two or three years later the Inspiris Resilia was produced - it has been treated with something to make it last longer than the previous generation of valves such as mine.

Hi macdaddy - The Inspiris Resilia valve is just the latest valve to be produced by Edwards Lifesciences. You’ll see in my bio below that my aortic valve is an Edwards Magna Ease valve. The Edwards Magna Ease was the latest aortic valve to be in production when I had my AVR, two or three years later the Inspiris Resilia was produced - it has been treated with something to make it last longer than the previous generation of valves such as mine.
Hi Paleowoman,

Thank you for this information. I was just reading a report on the Resilia treatment, no real good long-term data, as it's not been out here in America for all that long...but it sounded promising. I have my first appointment with the surgeon referred to me by my cardiologist and I'll report back in here when that's completed.

LOL, I have a job interview immediatly afterwards, hope I can get my head back in the game for that.

Thanks again to everyone.

The 80 yr old guy who sits next to me in the clarinet section came to rehearsal and said he had his TAVR done the week before and has a new aortic valve. He looked great! This was his first AVR and I asked him what type of valve he got, but he didn’t know!

Hi Paleowoman,

Thank you for this information. I was just reading a report on the Resilia treatment, no real good long-term data, as it's not been out here in America for all that long...but it sounded promising. I have my first appointment with the surgeon referred to me by my cardiologist and I'll report back in here when that's completed.

LOL, I have a job interview immediatly afterwards, hope I can get my head back in the game for that.

Thanks again to everyone.
Good luck on the surgery and the job interview. Just hang in there.

They said it wouldn’t last, but 18 years later my Edwards Magna Perimount is still working well. I was 52 when Dr. Kouchoukos replaced my stenotic aortic valve. There has been little to no change over the years. I hope everyone who undergoes replacement will have the same good fortune.
Mooo.... Good on ya!

Update, first appointment with the surgeon went very well. He took his time, left all the options open to me with his thoughts based on medical research as well as that of all the heart surgeons in Scottsdale. They meet every Tuesday morning and discuss every case they all have and what the latest tech and medical research is. I'll have 3 surgeons on my case the entire way, including during the surgery. I'm beginning to settle in on a Bio, I certainly feel better thanks to the input and real life stories in here. We left it at we'll meet again in early January (he told me my case is no rush) and see what the game plan will be. He wasn't yet ready for Resilia, said it just wasn't well established enough for his group, and, he'd have to get a special waver from the hospital in order to proceed. He offered to take it to them and advocate on my behalf, if that's the route I want to go. Since he's recommending the Edwards valve, I didn't feel he was trying to steer me away from a certain manufacturer, just giving me his honest opinion.

PS Job interview went terrific; I should be getting an offer letter this next week.

I'm beginning to settle in on a Bio,
At age 71, that is a good choice. Bio valves tend to last longer in older patients, over 65, than for younger patients and it very well could be your last. You mentioned that they are recommending an Edwards valve, but not the Resilia. I'd guess that they will give you a Magna Ease, which has a long track record of doing well in patients over 65.
Even though it does not have a very long track record, I think that the Resilia valve remains a decent option for younger patients who choose tissue. A bit of a gamble, but the anti-calcification treatment could cause the valve to last longer before SVD, so a risk/reward decision that some feel is worth it. But, for someone who is 71, in my view best to stick with the one with the longer track record. A friend who was 66 at the time of his surgery was recommended the Magna Ease over the Resilia for the same reason at the Cleveland Clinic.

Last edited:
At age 71, that is a good choice. Bio valves tend to last longer in older patients, over 65, than for younger patients and it very well could be your last. You mentioned that they are recommending an Edwards valve, but not the Resilia. I'd guess that they will give you a Magna Ease, which has a long track record of doing well in patients over 65.
Even though it does not have a very long track record, I think that the Resilia valve remains a decent for younger patients who choose tissue. A bit of a gamble, but the anti-calcification treatment could cause the valve to last longer before SVD, so a risk/reward decision that some feel is worth it. But, for someone who is 71, in my view best to stick with the one with the longer track record. A friend who was 66 at the time of his surgery was recommended the Magna Ease over the Resilia for the same reason at the Cleveland Clinic.
Yes, the he Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Magna Ease is what he mentioned as their preferred go-to for my situation. Everyone in here is so knowledeable; it's great to have this resource, and the community is great! Thank you for your input.

Yes, the he Carpentier-Edwards PERIMOUNT Magna Ease is what he mentioned as their preferred go-to for my situation. Everyone in here is so knowledeable; it's great to have this resource, and the community is great! Thank you for your input.
The thing to also take account of is that if the cardiac surgeon hasn't had experience of inserting a new valve like the Resilia, as the surgeon you saw said, that may be the main reason they will go with the older valve as it's very important that your cardiac surgeon has experience with inserting a particular valve.

The thing to also take account of is that if the cardiac surgeon hasn't had experience of inserting a new valve like the Resilia, as the surgeon you saw said, that may be the main reason they will go with the older valve as it's very important that your cardiac surgeon has experience with inserting a particular valve.
He didn't mention not having trained on the Resilia, but said he'd need special permission from the hospital to use that device. He said his group has done one Resilia under special permission; but also said the manufacturers are always touting the latest and greatest treatments to the tissues, but the longest study on the Resilia was for only 7.7 years. I'm comfortable with the Magna, and he was quite confident in it as well. Who knows what happens between now and my next visit, they could do a 180 and be recommending it. Time will tell. Thanks so much for you input.

He didn't mention not having trained on the Resilia, but said he'd need special permission from the hospital to use that device. He said his group has done one Resilia under special permission; but also said the manufacturers are always touting the latest and greatest treatments to the tissues, but the longest study on the Resilia was for only 7.7 years. I'm comfortable with the Magna, and he was quite confident in it as well. Who knows what happens between now and my next visit, they could do a 180 and be recommending it. Time will tell. Thanks so much for you input.
I had two surgical consults with my surgeon before surgery. In the first consult I was heavily leaning towards tissue and discussed the Resilia, as at age 53 this would have been my preferred choice if I was going tissue. My surgeon was involved as a consultant in the design of the Resilia. He said that he expects it to last at least as long as the Magna Ease, but until you know, you don't know to a certainty. Also, he mentioned that the platform used for the Resilia was essentially the same as the Magna, so one would not expect any needed learning curve for a surgeon to install if they had done any Magna Ease and I would expect virtually all valve surgeons today to be experienced in installing the Magna. Besides changing how the bovine tissue is treated, meant to delay SVD, the Resilia also has a ring which expands a little, in order to better accomodate a future TAVI if needed and if the patient is qualified. This expandable ring was added to the Resilia design based on the input from my surgeon in his consultant role with Edwards.

I had two surgical consults with my surgeon before surgery. In the first consult I was heavily leaning towards tissue and discussed the Resilia, as at age 53 this would have been my preferred choice if I was going tissue. My surgeon was involved as a consultant in the design of the Resilia. He said that he expects it to last at least as long as the Magna Ease, but until you know, you don't know to a certainty. Also, he mentioned that the platform used for the Resilia was essentially the same as the Magna, so one would not expect any needed learning curve for a surgeon to install if they had done any Magna Ease and I would expect virtually all valve surgeons today to be experienced in installing the Magna. Besides changing how the bovine tissue is treated, meant to delay SVD, the Resilia also has a ring which expands a little, in order to better accomodate a future TAVI if needed and if the patient is qualified. This expandable ring was added to the Resilia design based on the input from my surgeon in his consultant role with Edwards.
That's very interesting. I did see the expandable ring feature in the Resilia, but didn't realize it was there to allow for a potentially larger valve-in-valve at a later date. Sounds like you were lucky to have such a valued surgeon; hope mine goes as well, when the time comes. Thank you so much for your input.

Duffey, I am very "heart"ened to hear that. I had the same valve put in 12 years ago. So far, no issues; so much so that I even forget my valve-anniversary days. I will be very thankful if mine lasts as long as well. Fingers Crossed. May I ask what model is yours? Wish you continued success with your health ! Thank You for sharing your information.
Happy to share my happy experience! It’s a Model 3000

I thought TAVR was a technique, not a product, but now it appears I'm mistaken???
You’re not mistaken. It’s both. TAVR is a special procedure that can only be done with a particular product that is designed to be installed that way. The valve has to be able to be collapsed to thread into place through a blood vessel, then expanded once there.

No mechanical valves can do this yet, and tissue valves that are sutured into place have a hard sewing ring that can’t be collapsed, so open heart is required for those as well.

Back