10th Anniversary on April 30th,2024

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAWwindy1

April 30th 2024 tenth anniversary coming up for my bovine aortic heart vaive replacement & quadruple by pass. Last year while on vacation I Florida while out with friends I ordered a beer and after one sip I suddenly could not finish the beer and lost my appetite and returned home for the night. During the night I had the sweats and ran a high fever. The next day I was OK and didn’t think much of it after that .The following week I again joined my friends for a night out. I ordered a beer and after taking a sip I again could no longer drink the beer and lost my appetite and could not eat. I returned to our home in Florida went threw the sweats again and decided to visit the hospital emergency to get a checkup. They ran tests for the flu & covid and both were negative. They also took a chest X- ray. Nothing found and they gave me a prescription for pills to take for the next week saying it was some other virus. I wasn’t getting better so we decided to cut our vacation short and return to Canada before it developed into something worse. I drove 10 hours the first day & 10 hours on day two to reach out home. I could not eat all the way home. The next day apon reaching home I went to the hospital emergency and to make a long story short after 13 hours in the emergency room they finally saw me and again they gave me pills for some kind of virus that they could not determine. Two days later My wife called for an ambulance and I returned to the hospital and laid in the hallway on a gurney and ended up staying the night in emergency and was admitted the following day. I spent the next 25 days in hospital with so many blood tests taken I stopped counting.after the first 2 weeks in hospital I was taken to London for a test where a tube was put down my throat to take ultrasound photos. It was determined I had a bacteria growth on my bovine valve replacement. I was returned to the hospital and put on a 6 week IV program with two antibiotics. I left the hospital on day 25 and had my wife administer the daily IV’s for the next 6 weeks. During that time I also developed an enlarged thyroid and my throat was in excruiatiting pain. I lost 40 pounds during this time. Once the antibiotic program was complete demanded to return to London to take another test to determine if the bacteria was gone for good. I am happy to say the test indicated The bacteria was gone and I’m happy to say I am in Florida again this year and all is well.
PS : I regained all the weigh I lost.

Back