What does intubation feel like?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vent tube was not that bad (especially compared to other things) - I was pretty awake with it in for about 6 to 8 hours - they left it in because I kept not breathing on my own, despite my daughter's encouragement to breathe (she was instructed to do so by the nurses) - I also wrote lots of notes with pad and pen - asking all sorts of questions about my blood pressure, my foley, etc - I think they all got a good laugh about my efforts to "control everything" as usual. Taking it out was not bad - felt like pulling saran wrap through my throat. You should do fine!

I am very claustrophobic but the only time I was really bothered by the breathing tube was when they had to suction it out. I have a very strong gag reflex and suctioning made me feel like I was going to heave as well as not being able to breather momentarily. Otherwise the tube was no big deal as long as you try to relax and not fight. I also found breathing through your nose rather than trying to breathe through your mouth made it seem less invasive.

That being said, I was always happy to get it out and any discomfort from it coming out was way overshadowed by the pleasure of the tube getting its new home in the trash. In addition, your first drink after getting the tube out is better than sex (at least for that fleeting moment).;):D;)

I won't comment on the last line :), but you said you could breathe through your nose? I thought all air travels through your mouth via the tube? Am I wrong?

I won't comment on the last line :), but you said you could breathe through your nose? I thought all air travels through your mouth via the tube? Am I wrong?
Not sure if it made any difference to what air was getting through but I know if I tried to breathe through my mouth, I would panic and if I concentrated on my nose breathing I was calmer. Could of just been a self-hynosis kind of thing but it worked for me.

I didn't even think about breathing. I don't really think I tried to breathe on my own. If I did breathe on my own, I was not aware of it. I just remember lying there, knowing I was alive and hearing the good news and feeling relieved.

Now is that supposed to make me less worried? :eek:

I'm not concerned about the pain and discomfort so much as HOW it will feel and how I can cope with the experience. My fear is I'll panic and be uncertain of how to "breathe" correctly. I suspect I'll be too groggy to panic and the nurse will be right there, but just in case, I want to be able to talk myself down. I remember panicking a bit when I had my first TEE because I wasn't used to the oxygen going up my nostrils and I couldn't swallow after the numbing spray, which made me feel like I was choking. Breathing on my own through my nose calmed me down, but I had never read about the choking sensation you can get from not being able to feel yourself swallowing, so I was unprepared. I hate being unprepared. :(

I so know what you mean! I HATED my TEE experience. It was so uncomfortable and once they started I couldn't tell them of my discomfort. I had to basically go in my head and pretend I was somewhere else to cope. Don't rape victims do that? It's not supposed to be that difficult, I think, but it was for me. Dreading my next one. I, too, do better with lots of info, so thanks for starting the thread.

I am very claustrophobic but the only time I was really bothered by the breathing tube was when they had to suction it out. I have a very strong gag reflex and suctioning made me feel like I was going to heave as well as not being able to breather momentarily. Otherwise the tube was no big deal as long as you try to relax and not fight. I also found breathing through your nose rather than trying to breathe through your mouth made it seem less invasive.

That being said, I was always happy to get it out and any discomfort from it coming out was way overshadowed by the pleasure of the tube getting its new home in the trash. In addition, your first drink after getting the tube out is better than sex (at least for that fleeting moment).;):D;)

That was pretty much my experience; although I still think that the only thing better than sex is Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap . . .

Edit: I'd better stop talking about sex, since my daughter, aka Little Owl, has joined the forum and is now reading everything I say.

Last edited:
And I don't think that I've read of anyone else on here being awake when they "crammed the tube down you". That statement is just going to scare people who are presurgery even more when it is just not something that they are going to experience.

Kim

Hey, so it scares someone, I'm just stating the facts that happen. So you have been intubated while still fully conscience?

If you read my first post you would have seen this.
Most likely your surgery will be routine. You will be unconsciousness when they cram that tube down you and you will be so druggie when they take it out that you won't remember a thing.
My surgery was far from routine.

Dayton,
When they had to re-intubate me, I can actually say I rememberd your experience and thought if you could go thru what you did, I could do it too.

I will never fear a tube again that actually kept me breathing and saved my life. ICU was a rough time and I am so glad to be home even though I don't feel 100%.
1 Day Ago 07:22 PM
lilteach3234, thanks you.
I feel the same way. It was very unpleasant but it saved my life. Had they not acted as fast I might not be here today or could have had brain damage.
Hope you are feeling better real soon.

Scary or not, I think it is very important to let people know what might happen now matter how rare. If they do not know of the "bad" things, and it happens to them, they will be a lot more scared thinking it is indicative of something very serious when it might be rather routine.

I think the majority of members here want the whole truth or they wouldn't be members. They came here looking for answers.

Have you ever been intubated while still fully conscience? Of the 20 days I spent in the hospital during AVR it was about my worse 5 minutes while they were cramming that tube down me. And the following 5 days wasn't too funny. :rolleyes:

Olefin, When I said that it was funny that everyone was worried about tube, I meant it in an ironic sense since there are so many obvious other things to worry about (but you probably don't know what that means). Obviously, nothing about this surgery is "funny", I know, I've been through two and will have two or three more in my life time. Not to mention, I was admitted to the hospital over 100 times before I was 17 years old. I have had more than my fair share of experiences in the hospital and I'm sure many more than you, even though I am many years younger than you....I didn't attack you or anyone else on here so you can just ROLLEYES at yourself! REALLY

If you're having a scheduled surgery, you'll be sedated when they intubate you.

My husband intubates patients maybe 2-3 times a shift, and even when it's an emergency situation, they sedate.

TakeStock is in surgery today, so we'll have to ask him what intubation felt like when he returns.;)

I worried about the same thing before my surgery. I left instructions to my husband to get that thing out of me asap! I woke up, Thanked God I had made it, knew it was in my throat but did not feel it or care! My husband told me we will get that out ASAP, my best friend wiped my eyes Oh that was wonderful because they had been taped down. Make sure someone does this for you! That helped me more than anything I could see!!!! Then they removed my tube! One quick pull it was over and I was good to go! You don't feel or remember much of anything after surgery! Good Luck!

My experience with the respirator

My experience with the respirator

Most likely you will be so doped up, you won't even think about whether you are breathing on your own or not, etc., etc.

I do remember trying to cough and not being able to make a sound, but other than that, I just listened to the good news my husband and then my surgeon told me, gave the thumbs-up sign, and then went back into la-la land.

I just had my second AVR on 3/2. I had this surgery at UAB but I had a terrible experience in CVICU. Per the Dr.'s orders, I could not have "anything" for pain until I had been off the respirator around and hour. I could not slow my breathing down to an acceptable rate to remove the respirator (I think it was because I was in such severe pain) so I ended up not getting anything for pain well into the second day after my surgery. I have been though a lot of pain in my life time but this was definitely the worse. Always make sure with your surgeon before the surgery what the plan of care is for controlling your pain.

I just had my second AVR on 3/2. I had this surgery at UAB but I had a terrible experience in CVICU. Per the Dr.'s orders, I could not have "anything" for pain until I had been off the respirator around and hour. I could not slow my breathing down to an acceptable rate to remove the respirator (I think it was because I was in such severe pain) so I ended up not getting anything for pain well into the second day after my surgery. I have been though a lot of pain in my life time but this was definitely the worse. Always make sure with your surgeon before the surgery what the plan of care is for controlling your pain.

I think I would have shot him. I can understand part of his logic, because if your too dopey, you won't breath on your own, but that's not a valid reason for not controlling pain.

I was freaked out about the vent tube pre-op. My surgeon said he would do his best to remove it before I woke, which put me slightly at ease. When I woke up I noticed the tube was still in since I couldn't speak. I remained calm which was very easy since I was so drowsy. The next thing I remember was a male voice saying they were going to take the tube out. I don't remember having any pain or discomfort during this process however, my Dad said that I really winced when they removed it. Needless to say, once the tube was removed, my throat was surprisingly not sore. I was just very thirsty and couldn't get enough ice chips! Going in I thought the tube was going the worst part and it ended up being insignificant!!

On the post-surgery sex thread.

Am I missing something, or has anybody heard from TakeStock?

BigOwl, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. The intubation was remarkably painfree. Of course everything is painfree when you are so tired you can't stay awake for more than 30 secs. (I said secs not "sex" :)) The nurse turned on the full lights and turned on the TV to "harass" me awake. The eventually left the tube in but disconnected the oxygen just to see if I was breathing -- it was weird hearing my breathing over the ventilalator. Towards the end I was just dying of thirst. I really don't know how you can go more than 14 hrs like I did and deal with the thirst. The didn't put any water in my mouth the whole time, so I was loving the ice chips I got when they finally took it out. Of course then I find out they try to limit you fluid in take for several days after surgery, so I would only get about 8 oz of Sierra Mist for the next several hours when I was finally cleared for liquids.

Back