Abnormal Echo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a similar situation, Bob. My echo was actually okay (3 inch dilated) but an MRI showed it to be a 5.4. So they elected to perform surgery on me to replace my ascending aorta — and it turned out it was a 6.2 a month after the MRI!

My advice would be to pursue this aggressively, because echos dont always tell the whole story. Of course, it could be overestimating the size, but in any case, get it checked out! you've gone down this road before, and it sucks, but it beats the alternative!

Good heavens! -- that was a huge difference between the echo and MRI result! Thanks for sharing that experience. I really do need to get this nailed down. So it's off to the hospital to have it done Tuesday.

Superbob,

I always get a copy of my echo report and the yearly changes drive me crazy! What looks bad one year looks fine the next and vice versa. UGH! So hang in there and keep in mind that echos aren't always accurate.

Until you find out more I'll be sending up my patented good vibes in your honor. : )

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Michelle

Bob, I'm right there with Cooker - checking out?!!:eek: Stay strong, hope for the best and prepare for the worst, but even the worst can be fixed - just take a look around here. I will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes on Tuesday. Try to relax and enjoy your weekend (hope you are having better weather than predicted here in NJ) and keep us updated.

Nadine:)

Hey Bob - wishing you the very best of luck for your appt on Tuesday. I will be thinking about you and sending positive thoughts your way.

Bridgette

Thanks again, guys. Now I am wondering what's the difference between a CT-scan and an MRI as far as the aorta is concerned. Is one more precise than the other?

I also am remembering I had to have an echo in Virginia last fall (before we moved) as a precaution before my knee surgery, and for some reason the results are not in my file that was transferred to SC. (My new cardio is comparing results of his echo a week ago with one that was taken post-op in 2006. If accurate, there does appear to be an enlargement.)

Thought I would call Monday morning and see if I could get the 2008 echo report faxed -- if the aorta didn't change much in a year, maybe I could get out of the CT-scan? Damn, I don't want to go down this road! If there is enlargement, I can't fathom going through all this again. What would cause an enlargement after a replacement anyway? They haven't detected any significant leakage.

If anyone is reading my stream of consciousness venting, thank you!

Sending my prayers & best wishes for a positive outcome on Tuesday SB. I will be thinking of you & looking for your post letting us know how it went!

Godspeed!

Thanks again, guys. Now I am wondering what's the difference between a CT-scan and an MRI as far as the aorta is concerned. Is one more precise than the other?

I also am remembering I had to have an echo in Virginia last fall (before we moved) as a precaution before my knee surgery, and for some reason the results are not in my file that was transferred to SC. (My new cardio is comparing results of his echo a week ago with one that was taken post-op in 2006. If accurate, there does appear to be an enlargement.)

Thought I would call Monday morning and see if I could get the 2008 echo report faxed -- if the aorta didn't change much in a year, maybe I could get out of the CT-scan? Damn, I don't want to go down this road! If there is enlargement, I can't fathom going through all this again. What would cause an enlargement after a replacement anyway? They haven't detected any significant leakage.

If anyone is reading my stream of consciousness venting, thank you!

That sounds like a good idea getting the last echo to compare. I'm not quite sure I understand why there is just a big difference "...is dilated measuring by M-mode (whatever that is) at 4.22 cm and 4.92 cm by 2D evaluation (whatever that is)...." on the same day. I'm not an echo expert and have no idea what the difference between the M and 2D, but it seems odd to me they would have such difference results.
Can you email your card and ask for clarification between the 2 results?

Well, just got by phone the result of my echo in Virginia Sept. '08 just before knee surgery (don't know why I neglected to get a copy then -- guess I was more worried about the knee surgery)

Anyway, the aortic root dimension then was measured at 3.60 cm.

Now, the one here (SC) says it's 4.22 cm in one-dimensional measure (M-Mode), and 4.92 in two-dimensional view (2D).

Wow -- if these TTE echos done in different places were even close to accurate and are comparable, I am worried! What the heck could have happened? Could it be Cooker's tropics at work? :D

Okay, I guess cease the worrying until after the CT-Scan tomorrow, right?

This has got to be frustrating for you, superbob. I'm still sending up my patented good vibes. Try to relax until the CT scan.

Best of luck,
Michelle

I'm hoping you get a good report....but ONLY if that report is accurate. If there is a real problem evolving than you best get it taken care of ASAP. I just hate that you are dealing with this though.

Latest posts

Back