On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence On-X LTI 15 Years of Clinical Excellence

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Welcome to the New VR.org!

Thank you for your patience while we continue to fine tune the site. All paid registrations will be extended for whatever duration of time it takes us to get things working properly.
See more
See less

romaine lettuce and Vitamin K

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• romaine lettuce and Vitamin K

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2475/2
    after you check out the link, let me know if this is accurate? romaine seems to be much lower in Vitamin K than other types of lettuces. I understand dose the diet, but if I eat a nice chicken ceasar (sp?) salad twice a week, will me INR be affected by much? opinions?
    [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c7/Peace_dove_blue_sky.png/45px-Peace_dove_blue_sky.png[/IMG]AVR: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]1-22-08

Originally posted by witzkeyman View Post
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/v...roducts/2475/2
    after you check out the link, let me know if this is accurate? romaine seems to be much lower in Vitamin K than other types of lettuces. I understand dose the diet, but if I eat a nice chicken ceasar (sp?) salad twice a week, will me INR be affected by much? opinions?

IMHO.....NO .... I eat salad everyday almost, various kinds of lettuce.....I am stable
    No shoes, no shirt, no problem
    AVR with Ablation -St Jude Mechanical--2006
    ~Easy Does It~

The early bird get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

I'm not sure I know the difference between Romane, Bibb or any other type of lettuce, but I eat salads made from some kind of "lettuce" several times a week. I have seldom, if ever, noticed salad having any noticeable effect on INR.
      Starr-Edwards mechanical AVR 1967 at age 31.....University of Kentucky Med. Ctr., Drs. Richard Wood & Gordon Danielson surgeons. No surgery (heart or otherwise) since. On Warfarin ACT since surgery with no diet, lifestyle, or activity restrictions....and I live one day at a time.

Comment

Not unless you start eating 3 salads a day suddenly.

Comment

You have heard of making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Well, the amount of vitamin K in romain lettuce is about as big as a pimple on a microbe's nose. Al and I are both on coumadin and we eat salads with all sorts of greens, including romaine lettuce, almost everyday and sometimes more than once a day.

Witzkeyman, please believe me!!! You have to relax and eat what you like in moderation. You're going to drive yourself crazy with worry otherwise.

Best wishes,
          Blanche

Comment

A chicken casear salad eaten twice a week will have almost zero affect on your INR.

Don't eat the whole head of lettuce daily but a normal salad is fine.

The key is consistency.
            If you like caesar salad, eat it regularly. Have what you like but be relatively consistent about it.

Comment

That web site will show several different serving sizes, or one leaf, etc. It will make you crazy.
              I believe the lettuce with the least amount of Vitamin K is Iceburg....is also has the lowest nutritional benefits.
              Enjoy your chicken caesar salads! (easy on the fatty dressings).
              BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
              INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Comment

Eat your greens and if you prefer one type of lettuce to another then go ahead an indulge. You will give yourself a headache if you start counting milligrams of vit.K.
                [COLOR=Indigo]
                Ton....(44)
                Surgery...
                April 20, 2006.
                Bentalls' procedure
                & 1 emergency by-pass same day....
                10 hours surgery... 2 OHS in 1 day.
                25mm St Judes valve with attatched ascending aorta conduit.
                3 Cardiac Arrests after 1st surgery
                Mr John Alvarez, my hero...The Mount Hospital...Perth.

Mum to 3 sons
                2 sons have BAVD 13 & 18yrs.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Let's put it this way

A recent thread mentions an INR of 9.

How many pounds of greens, including cauliflower, broccoli. brussel sprouts and everything else containing high amounts of vitamin K would it take to lower that INR to a more acceptable level?

A full bath tub, a full dumpster? I suspect it would be more than a person could eat in a week.
                  Mitral Valve Replacement Surgery, 1999
                  Home test weekly since January 2004-Coaguchek S
                  October 2006-Coaguchek XS
                  INR managed by anti-coagulation clinic

Comment

Originally posted by lance View Post
                    A recent thread mentions an INR of 9.

How many pounds of greens, including cauliflower, broccoli. brussel sprouts and everything else containing high amounts of vitamin K would it take to lower that INR to a more acceptable level?

A full bath tub, a full dumpster? I suspect it would be more than a person could eat in a week.
                    I suspect your right.

Comment

Forget that list of vitamin K in foods!!!!!!!

Just be fairly consistent, i.e., don't boycott green things for a month and then have salad 3 times a day for several weeks.

And remember: CONSISTENT does not equal MONOTONOUS.
                      Marsha (7-28-50), MVP 1990/MVR (St. Jude) & ASD repair 6/24/03 Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas Texas. Hometesting since 11/03, first with ProTime 3, now with INRatio.
                      John (3-13-46), MV repair 5/10/07, Dallas Presbyterian, port-access incision, Dr. William Ryan. Chordae ruptured 12/05 in car crash.

Comment

I've always read that the darker the green - the higher the K. That being said - I don't care. I just eat what I want.

Comment

Blanche, this is only my first year on Coumadin. I want to be extra careful.
                          [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c7/Peace_dove_blue_sky.png/45px-Peace_dove_blue_sky.png[/IMG]AVR: [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="DarkOrange"][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]1-22-08

Comment

Witzkey... Not a person can blame you. You have to stay in your comfort zone and what works for you. I found I needed to continue to my high in veggie diet for the brief time I was on coumadin. I have always eaten lots of greens/vitamin K foods and continued to do so. But I so understand someone who wishes to be more cautious. As you become more comfortable, perhaps you will slowly add back some foods you are currently avoiding or severely limiting.

I had very serious conversations about this while at Mass General. Thankfully, all with whom I spoke agreed that, within reason, I could continue to eat all I was used to eating but to do so with consistency.

This community is so extremely helpful with the fabulous info from those who have been there and have/are living it.

Who but a valve surgery patient really knows what it is like? Who but you knows your coumadin comfort zone?

Is your INR stable for the most part?

Comment

Witzkey, my first year I was very nervous about greens too and I missed out on some nice broccoli soups and salads.
                              The real turning point for me was when I got my home monitor....it makes me feel safe when I test more often.
                              BAV-Aortic Stenosis...AVR Oct 11, 2005 / St.Jude Regent mechanical 21mm
                              INR Home testing since 2007 with Coaguchek XS...Self-Dosing

"Caution: I may have been in contact with Nuts"

Comment

Working...
                              X