Your experience getting travel insurance?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you enter an EU country with a British passport the host country should honour any agreements of reciprocality. Britain hasn't left the EU yet.
I'm afraid not. To gain access to Britain's reciprocal arrangements with the EU you have to obtain a card E111 which you apply for from the government website here: https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card

What happens to it all after the Hard Brexit or the much less likely Brexit per EU-requirements? Do you guys know?

Hello folks,

My apologies for not posting for a few days, time has got away from me.

This latest point is very interesting, I was not sure what the situation would be should we nip across the Channel during our UK visit.

We are narrowing our choices and will likely go to UK in May. If Brexit is sorted by then we will hopefully be able to take steps to ensure we can get emergency treatment if necessary, either by virtue of insurance or reciprocal rights.

Best wishes to everyone

Roger

I have approached several insurers asking if they have a medical team to reassess online medical histories but have yet to have a favourable reply.

I thought it time I updated you on the outcome of the approaches I made to insurance companies and sadly there is nothing good to report. Some companies didn't reply, and of those that did all bar two said the online questionnaire was the only assessment they used.

NIB Travel Services (Australia) Pty Ltd advised there is a Medical Underwriting Dept that overseas all applications, and a Travel Sales Representative at Worldcare Travel Insurance advised there might be room for a discount on the additional premium.

None of this fills me with confidence.

For now, travel to USA is off the agenda and we are focusing on a trip to UK next year.

Good luck to all here who plan to travel in the future ☺

Roger

I'll be honest, I've never had any desire to travel to other countries. Even in my hometown, I find lots of exciting places all the time, and at weekends I can go to the countryside. That was more than enough for me. But after I got a promotion at work and started going on business trips, my attitude to travel changed a bit. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to get to know another culture and take a walk in a completely unfamiliar city. I would like to try a little train tour of Germany with DB Auskunft und Bahn Fahrplanauskunft. Usually, my company used to give me insurance, but I think I can manage it on my own too.

Hi Rogerbid, another Aussie here. Pre-covid, I travelled a lot overseas, a few times a year, after having had an AVR back in 2010. Just had a second one, but that is another story!
I have never been able to get cover for my heart condition, and have always had that listed as an exclusion. I did not find any company willing to cover me and so I travelled without that covered. It was a gamble of course but I was healthy and my cardiologist couldn't see any reason for concern. Perhaps foolhardy, but have to live life to the fullest, I say! My travel insurance covered for everything else medically, and I have used a few different companies for the general travel insurance, and never really found one any better than the other. So if you do find a company that will cover you, including the heart condition, then I would expect the premium would be pretty high. I think cover for cruising is even more...I had a cruise booked for around the Kimberley coast (but has been cancelled of course), and even though still in Australian waters, the premium was much more than the cover I would normally have if flying overseas. But still unable to cover for the heart condition. As we have no overseas trips planned for the moment (hmm I wonder why?), I haven't looked into travel insurance recently, but I would think things might not have improved that way, and perhaps have gotten worse, with the additional covid threat.
My concerns re travel insurance were higher when travelling to the US, but again, it was a risk I took in relation to the heart, but always had general medical cover for other medical events/emergencies.

I'll be honest, I've never had any desire to travel to other countries. Even in my hometown, I find lots of exciting places all the time, and at weekends I can go to the countryside. That was more than enough for me. But after I got a promotion at work and started going on business trips, my attitude to travel changed a bit. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to get to know another culture and take a walk in a completely unfamiliar city. I would like to try a little train tour of Germany with DB Auskunft und Bahn Fahrplanauskunft. Usually, my company used to give me insurance, but I think I can manage it on my own too.

In most cases, you can still buy last-minute travel insurance until the day you leave. So even if it's departure day and you're not insured, it's not too late to get cover. Generally, you should expect a plan to cost anywhere from 4%-10% of your total prepaid, nonrefundable trip cost. For example, if you purchased a trip with a total cost of $5,000, travel insurance policies available to you will likely range in price from $250-$500, depending on variables

In most cases, you can still buy last-minute travel insurance until the day you leave. So even if it's departure day and you're not insured, it's not too late to get cover. Generally, you should expect a plan to cost anywhere from 4%-10% of your total prepaid, nonrefundable trip cost. For example, if you purchased a trip with a total cost of $5,000, travel insurance policies available to you will likely range in price from $250-$500, depending on variables. I got it fast when I went to France to see some places I have seen on Simply France - Trips, Hotels, Tour Guides - Begin Your French Vacation.

I'll second travel guard. I had one of my bags lost when I arrived in Jamaica and travel guard paid . I told my friend who was vacationing with us at the same resort about Travel Guard. Two years later him and his wife were vacationing in mexico and he had a heart attack and passed away. Travel Guard help arrange everything for their return trip home and paid for his hospital bill even before she left the country. He also bought more of the life insurance that came with the trip and she received 100k.

I was always getting regular travel insurance even though I had problems with my heart. I always start t have symptoms when I am stressed, which I am not when traveling. The thing I love the most in my life is traveling because it makes me feel calm and enjoy every moment of my life when I am in a different country. I will never forget my trip to Costa Rica. I have been on a tour from Costaricafocus.com, so I see wild birds. The nature of this country is amazing, and even more amazing are the birds there.

Latest posts

Back