(Yet Another) Mechanical/Tissue Dilemma – 37 years old with ticking clock

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No place for politics.

And I agree. I've deleted the beginnings of this thread being political. I'll keep deleting if necessary and if it continues by the same people they will not be able to post on this thread.

It's not always a good idea to 'go with your gut.' Hevishot believes that I can come up with a dozen examples of why not. However, going with your 'gut' is most effective after you've done ample study and research, and your 'gut' just comes up with a 'suggestion' based on what's been learned plus your innate conclusions based on what you've learned.

I hope that your 'gut' gives you the answer that is best for you.

The previous replies seem to have covered everything I would have written.
It sounds like your surgeon had many meetings with the companies that sell bovine tissue valves. They probably sell the surgeon on the nightmares of warfarin therapy. Their claims are extreme, and pretty much BS if the person on Warfarin has dosing well managed (or self-managed). These claims are for people whose INRs drop near 1.0 for weeks at a time, or for INRs that are above 8 or so. This doesn't happen to people who are properly managed (or, perhaps, experience liver failure).

Self-testing is NOT particularly expensive. True, you need a meter (and some insurance may provide it, or you can probably get one on eBay), and strips are around $5 each. You may waste a few strips if you use a CoaguChek XS until you learn how to run a successful test; you may also waste some strips if you use the Coag-Sense and don't get a large enough drop of blood.

But, for around $250 or so a year, this is probably less than a latte or two each week - and can help you avoid these ridiculous things spouted by your surgeon.

Ultimately, of course, the choice between tissue and mechanical should be all yours (unless your surgeon makes a decision DURING surgery to implant one or the other).

As others have said, warfarin is practically a non-issue. (And, yes, NSAIDs are not a great idea - especially if you take too many for too long). For me, at year 28, warfarin hasn't been an issue.

Good luck making your decision. I hope your surgeon respects it -- whatever it may be.
Hi!
I’m with Pat. I’m 62 years old, I had OHS St Jude (Sorin) mechanical vale installed 7 years ago. I cycle, work out (light), 40 mins fast walking a day. I drink beer and being a Frenchy I’m obliged to have a glass of wine with my meal. INR fine, over the 7 years between 1.8 to 4 mainly about 3. Live life, mechanical is supposed to last as long as we do – for life!
All the best and stay cool. Kabalino

For what it’s worth I was 37 in July 2019 when I had my aortic valve replaced. I chose an Onx mechanical valve because I don’t want surgery again. Adjusting to warfarin has been easy. Even if technology improves in the future, it still means more surgery which carries inherent risk, especially as you age.

Latest posts

Back