X

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The limitations/risks with physical activity while on warfarin come from cuts/injuries taking a longer time to stop bleeding and internal bleeding. I was told by my cardio to avoid activities that had a high probability of impacts to my head (more physical contact in the activity between people/objects).

My personal thoughts:
1. Yes, I have done this before.
2. If just kicking a soccer ball around, I would do that. I'd be a bit hesitant with heading a football (impact with head) and I personally wouldn't do it.
3. Yes.
4. That is a bit more risky due to the greater potential for injuries.
5. Same as 4, depending on your level of tricks you do. If no tricks it'd probably be about the same as riding a bike.
6. I have swam in the ocean from the beach, even jet skied on a vacation off the coast.
7. I'll let others chime in on that one.
8. Yes, just be aware of any cuts you might get.
9. Yes. If you have a cut I would probably cover it with a bandaid and wear gloves.

Just be aware of the risks for injury/bleeding with all activities you do and watch for bruising.

Last edited:
1. I've never surfed but I have water skied a fair amount.....no problem
2.Soccer wasn't popular when my kids grew up, but I've played football with them......never gave it a second thought.
3. I've done this a few times
4. Never tried
5. Never tried
6. Done this a few times.....swam in a lake a bunch.
7. Don't know what Duckdive is...but I have snorkeled a few times.
8. Yep
9. Yep
10. You can use power tools (skil saw, chain saw, ax etc) too...just be careful not to cut your leg off.

The only activity I gave up was Downhill skiing. Cardiologist, Primary MD, and Surgeon all advised me not to Downhill Ski...So now instead I do Nordic Skiing on gentle slopes and that has been alot of fun!...I've had a couple minor mishaps on the bicycle since being on warfarin, but thankfully just had small bruises. Wear your bike helmet and you should be fine! Just be a little more careful while on the bike.... As for gardening, you should definitely consider wearing some really good gloves!

I guess that you conveniently forgot this post that someone took the time to write to you to answer your earlier question

https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/whats-the-point.887889/post-902731
it contained this
https://www.newsweek.com/my-turn-climbing-everest-bionic-heart-99749
if you think thats an easy task, that doesn't make your hands bleed and force you to struggle then I recommend a bit of time on the local climbing wall

you give no respect to others when you ignore and discount their genuine efforts to get you to see truth.

however
What are the real limitations of warfarin.

effectively none ... unless you're a professional boxer.

Here are a few of my concerns Im sure they have been discussed endlessly.

they have ... but I have no faith that you'll believe it and I genuinely feel that I'm wasting my time even replying.

1. Can you surf or bodyboard

I lived on the sea and did this with my wife frequently before and after surgery
1614469508161.png

2. Can you have a soccer kick around with your kids.

of course ... they aren't athletes ...

3. Can you bounce on the trampoline in the garden

of course, although my knee popped because I'm too fukken old for that and despite a tear in my meniscus bleeding and inflamation was "ordinary"

4. Can you mountainbike

I still do ... and I do this

note brake squeal is from a kangaroo jumping across in front of me (the bastards)

and this

and this

5. Can you skateboard

I still do from time to time, but I STRONGLY advise wearing a helmet

6. Can you safely swim on the sea

if you could before why could you possibly not now? Where else are you going to go surfing?

7. Can you duckdive snorkell (not wafarin but with a replaced valve and acending aorta)

my deepest snorkel was to 25 meters .... based on my scuba buddys guage

8. Can you walk barefoot on the beach

surely this is getting ridiculous now ... of course.

9. Can you garden without gloves

I can but I prefer to wear them because thorns still hurt. Some break off under my skin and I have to dig them out. I've learned this is related to intillegence.

So what can warfarin do for you?

I recommend you read this
https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/a-members-survival-story.874083/
its fair to say that being on warfarin saved not only his leg but his life.

You probably won't read or believe any of this, not sure why I'm wasting my time. But as you're seeing a psychologist now I encourage you to show them this post and all its contents.

HTH

Last edited:
Last edited:
They aren’t (weren’t) bad questions and not wrong to preserve them for others that might benefit from the answers.

I strikes me, however, that if you’re still asking them and not comfortable with the answers, maybe mechanical is just not for you. That’s okay too. It’s not for everyone. But can you get a tissue valve and sleep easy knowing in 10-20 years you’ll be making decisions again? Maybe they’ll be easier decisions by then. Who knows?

As far as the questions pellicle kindly preserved.

1.) I have. No good at it, but I tried anyway.

2.) I play soccer with the kids. I coached T-Ball and coach pitch baseball. I’ve taken the occasional line drive off the ribs. 10 year olds can hit hard from 25 ft away!

3.) Trampoline in the yard. Trips to Sky-Zone (indoor trampoline park). Threw my back out on that one, but the valve was fine. 😁

4.) I was rather in to mountain biking in my 20’s. I’ve gone over the bars and lived to tell about it.

5.) Not a skateboarder, but my wife and I used to rollerblade for miles down rails to trails when we were dating.

6.) Swim in the ocean. Get stung by jellyfish. I’ve swam in the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico, the Great Lakes, waterskiing, jet skiing, tubing behind a boat over 4 ft choppers in Lake Michigan, yes.

7.) Snorkeled pre valve. Used to take my kids to the pool at the Y and show off holding my breath at the bottom of the 12 ft end the pool. I’m good for a couple minutes, but the lifeguards frown on that game.

8.) I can and do, but usually wear sandals because I hate sand between my toes. I’ve walked bare foot in Rocky Mountain streams. (Yes - we can hike too). Had to take of my shoes and sock to wade across to get this picture:

D7A73B66-1D0F-45ED-BEB6-930F5BC6F47C.jpeg

9.) And yes. Although due to dirt and the general unpleasantness of getting scratched by weeds and potential allergies, I started being more mindful of wearing gloves.

Hope that helps.

I took a leap off a rock at Glacier National Park into a glacial stream too! I was chicken though. My kids jumped off the foot bridge 20 plus feet up.

Last edited:
The only activity I gave up was Downhill skiing. Cardiologist, Primary MD, and Surgeon all advised me not to Downhill Ski...So now instead I do Nordic Skiing on gentle slopes and that has been alot of fun!...I've had a couple minor mishaps on the bicycle since being on warfarin, but thankfully just had small bruises. Wear your bike helmet and you should be fine! Just be a little more careful while on the bike.... As for gardening, you should definitely consider wearing some really good gloves!
What was the rationale for not being able to downhill ski? I mean if you hit a tree while on Warfarin or not, it's going to be a bad outcome. If you're an expert level skier and stick to the nice long meandering "see forever " intermediate trails, what's the issue? Just curious as I plan to head back to Telluride next season. Life is short.

I really appreciate the feedback that the folks on warfarin are giving here and have given on other threads. The message seems to be that one can have a very active life on warfarin. For me, it really helps move the needle towards mechanical. Just watched for the third time that Hartzell Schaff video presentation that Pellicle posted. Those studies presented are hard to dismiss and certainly suggest better long term outcomes with a mechanical valve.
So, I'll have to give up boxing and martial arts competitions. That will be big for me, but I can do that. I may still mountain bike, but will take it easy on the downhills. Skiing- I always loved skiing and have been preferring the blue slopes over the black diamonds anyway. I ran into a tree while skiing, after losing control after I went off of a jump. No more jumps and no more black diamonds, but that is fine. At my age those things are not such a good idea anymore anyway. There are so many activities that I love on the list of things that are still ok.
I've always been into lobster diving and will double down on it - no safe lobster off of the southern CA coast!
I have been free diving for abalone for 35 years. Well, the environmentalists managed to get a long term moratorium on taking abalone, so I guess that I will have to plan a trip to Australia if I want to experience this again.
I was into ultra endurance events when I was younger and may get back into that.
Trout fishing. I love hiking in the mountains to find remote streams and lakes and this will still be on the menu. I would do a little rock climbing to access hard to get to fishing pools at times and last year did a face plant right into the granite. So, just need to be a little more careful and pass up some of those hard to get to holes.
I don't plan to climb Everest, but will probably plan a trip to a 20,000 ft+ mountain at some point.
I've done sky diving a few times and will probably give this up. I mean, if your parachute doesn't open you might hit your head pretty hard when you land 🤣

Anyway, the list of things that I can do on warfarin sounds a lot longer than the things that I will have to give up. Approaching life with a good deal of common sense to avoid taking a big hit to the head is probably a good idea on warfarin or not.

They aren’t (weren’t) bad questions and not wrong to preserve them for others that might benefit from the answers.
indeed, however they have been preserved by the answers which cited the questions.

Myself I don't think that Janner has as much of a problem with warfarin and its potential issues as he does with
  • honesty to himself
  • honesty to others
  • respect for the help others give him (its more like a demand which is then not engaged with)
  • that he does not like the idea that he may be imperfect (I think movies have a role in facilitating this)
and because of this he fears the surgery.

From an Akira Kurosawa film
1614544828237.png

You guys are more adventurous than I am but you’ve given me some great ideas.
hiking is great too ... the limitations of ones self should be found by yourself. We are each different and have different ideas of what we want to do.

The thing however is to just do it

The purpose of my detailed post was to clarify that the limits of what you want to do seldom come from warfarin.

Best Wishes

I'm mom to a sixteen year old daughter who received a mechanical mitral valve when she was nine. I think parents of children receiving mechanical valves are in a different position than adult valve recipients when it comes to making decisions about what constitutes acceptable/unacceptable risks. That being said, my husband and I decided that we wanted our daughter to experience life to the full, the same wish that we had for her four older brothers and sisters, while being mindfully prudent. As a thirteen year old, she ziplined over mountain gorges, whitewater rafted the rapids of a river in the Great Smoky Mountains, rode down the side of a mountain in a mountain coaster, and rolled down a hill inside a giant inflatable ball. The following year, she hiked through a rainforest and accompanied us ATVing up and down the side of a Costa Rican mountain. And she has walked barefoot numerous times on beaches and been thrown violently to the ground by waves on those same beaches! Have we sometimes worried too much about her? Yes, but as parents of five children, I can honestly tell you that some of our greatest worries about our kids have had absolutely nothing to do with our daughter's mechanical heart valve.

Latest posts

Back