Writing a book....no idea where to post this!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzle

Hi everyone,
I'm coming up to 10 months post-AVR and feeling good, despite the promise of Winter in the air. This site has been fantastic for me – I learnt so many important things I didn’t get anywhere else that helped me have a relatively easy surgery and recovery.

Still feeling a bit slug-like (sort of like sluggish but not quite that!) as I try to get back to a regular gym program – which I seem to be strongly resisting. At least I walk most days.
I clearly need a project, so thought I’d write a book…..as you do!

Why not a light-hearted little book on heart surgery? That’s something I know a bit about. It won't be any sort of threat to anyone who's already written a book, but still full of really useful and doable info.
It hasn’t got a title yet, but maybe 50 TIPS FOR HASSLE-FREE HEART SURGERY
And with that in mind, I’d love to hear from anyone who could offer a piece of pithy advice for before, during or after the event. Images might work too.

It’s early days yet, so the format isn’t clearcut, but I’d also like to maybe add people’s name and area (or not as you wish).
Email would be the easiest way for me to keep track rather than on the feed – my email is: [email protected]

Look forward to hearing from lots of you with your best ideas, tips and tricks.
Sue

Hi Suzie. There was a guy, Adam Pick, who may have used info from this forum in his book "A patients guide to heart surgery" back around 2007. He left the forum about the time that I joined and I understand he did use some info he had learned here in that book. I've never read his book but it spawned his own website.....so good luck.

Last edited:
Oh sure, use any and all the junk I've posted if it fits your theme.

Read this book we wrote a few years ago with 17 individual stories (volume 2 to be out soon). https://www.amazon.com/Cardiac-Athletes-Superheroes-Beating-Disease/dp/1500159638

Here's another theme you might like. It is nothing to do with valve replacement except one short chapter on my experience. It is in memoir format, with a central thread themed on dresses where the stories are not actually about the dresses. https://www.amazon.com/Reflections-...ions+a+wardrobe,stripbooks,178&sr=1-1-catcorr

I don't want to hijack this thread but that is a reference to trying to solve too many of life's problems in one "forkful".
Not wanting to be too philosophical, but I'm guessing it would be difficult to eat an elephant with one forkful, so you would have to cut it up into smaller morsels. Hence, the metaphor.

Hi Suzie,

You have certainly come to the right place, as this forum is rife with fascinating people and their stories.

I am currently on medical leave, not cardiac this time, and have spent a great deal of time just going back and reading older posts. There really is some great information.

Best of Luck!
Jane

I would be thinking about breaking the 50 points down to 3 categories, pre-surgery from the point that you are refered to a surgeon, surgery and the hospital stay, the first 6 weeks post hospital until you are cleared for normal activities such as weight lifting with in reason and no driving restrictions.

Hey, that's not a bad idea.

I've written seven books. Perhaps something about choosing a valve, handling surgery, and dealing with anticoagulation (for those who need it), may be interesting to a limited audience.

Suzie - try to avoid using the word 'learnt'

Yes, there is a lot of good stuff here. Good luck with your project.

Latest posts

Back