wow - pre op went way better than I thought ! surgery tomorrow!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julieaka

I have been so down after my "near miss" in 2005 (cath procedure only and held off surgery when about to be wheeled into the operating room).

What a difference a good pre-op can make. I wish a great pre-op for all of you "valve friends" who are going in this week!!!!

An RN with 22 years experience and now a patient educator did the pre-op along with the RN. She is part of the cardiac ICU and rehab care teams at St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix and made a HUGE difference in my day today.

I have had the usual blood drawn, CT, xrays, ekg etc - no cath this time and no echo (interesting) - but a huge amount of education on what was going to happen from now through tomorrow night was mingled in - with written materials and diagrams - and lots of questions from me - WOW

I have fear, but paralyzing fear is leaving - thank God

does anyone know what the "mouth wash stuff" is they talked about today? Interesting my surgeon wants it done only at pre-op tomorrow, while other surgeons do it for two days and some do not do it at all! the RN spent time tracking down a supply for me

hmmmmmm hope it tastes good! hope to see you all tomorrow night!

Julie, it seemed to me as this same process was going on last year that the more information I had the less anxious I felt. For one thing, with a good PREOP visit you realize that you are talking with someone who has guided hundreds of of other people through the presurgery maze. When the mystery is stripped away, you are left with fewer things to worry about. I'm glad you posted this summary of your visit, perhaps, later you might provide a more detailed description to aid others in navigating their way. Best wishes for tomorrow. I'll look forward to hearing from you later this week.

Larry

Larry - you hit the nail in the head. Some of us nee the information - and most of us need to know in whose hands our life is being placed.

I told my husband he has to post for you all!

Julie

Julie, a good pre-op helps a lot. Glad yours went well. I don't remember mouthwash but had a special soap to bathe with beforehand. Think that's pretty standard,

Will be sending you good thoughts and vibes tomorrow!

Mouthwash

Mouthwash

Mouthwash... no, I was never given mouthwash. I did have to shower throughly with an anti-bacterial, liquid soap before checking in for surgery.

I'm glad you scored someone who did a good job with the pre-op stuff. The hospital where my surgery was done had a great pre-op program. I was still freaked-out and scared poopless, but I knew exactly what was going to happen to me.

Good luck!

-Philip

Julie,

All the best for tomorrow, am glad pre op went well and allayed fears.

Nope no mouthwash at our hospital, am sure it will taste really good:rolleyes:

see you on the other side, hope hubby can post a status

Gil

Phil - lol - that was great - thanks for the laugh - I wish I was scared 'poopless' it seems to be happening the other way!

Julie, I remember that day well also ;) I don't think I got mouthwash, but could be wrong, as I seriously got such a smorgasbord of stuff to do and take, I can't remember it all. Maybe I saved my sheet somewhere and can review it, lol. Seemed like hundreds of pills to take (ok, maybe somewhere between 5 and 10). There was gel to put in my nose (to prevent catching something in the hospital, which is probably what the mouthwash is for). There was a laxative cocktail I had to drink - talk about being scared poopless - I had to get to Home Depot and back that night (made it back in time, whew!). Oh, and yea, I got that special soap to shower with too.

But I agree, the pre-op day is a huge help. Sounds like you've reached that "at peace" phase some of us have talked about. Were you the one saying you didn't think you'd get to that stage, lol? You just wait missy! By tomorrow at this time, you'll be soooo glad you did this! Well, you'll probably be still sleeping a lot tomorrow night. But the next day! Oh, wait, that's your first time to go pee after the cath is removed. Ok, then the next day! Oh, that's when they start asking you every other hour - have you had a bowel movement yet? Ok so the day after! No, that's when you actually have your first bowel movement. Well, by the day after that, when you're going home, then you'll be happy! Nah, seriously, you'll be happy as soon as you wake up and here them say - everything went great, now go back to sleep ;)

yeah - the two of us at 43 and 46 - finally pinup girls - lol

obviously I can't even post a regular photo on my profile - so that leaves me out

yeah - now to find a pic - i told my husband I needed something of personality in here! Much less I might actually post a pic - which I never do on Facebook etc. Still awake enjoyiing my last few minutes snuggling my baby - Malibu can understand that one - hard to give up!!!

Latest posts

Back