Worried about the future

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JannerJohn

What is the real expected lifespan of an ascending aorta dacron graft and on-x mechanical valve (assuming no other illnesess). I'm 49 and the surgeon seems to imply for life is this a realiatic expectation? I have severe stenotic bicuspid Aortic Valve with root and ascending aorta dilation but I'm asymptomatic.

I have a st Jude (aortic) with Dacron. I was told for life. I hope so as I was 41, just shy of 42 at my surgery and I am now 47. Counting on at least 50 years!

What is the real expected lifespan of an ascending aorta dacron graft and on-x mechanical valve (assuming no other illnesess). I'm 49 and the surgeon seems to imply for life is this a realiatic expectation?

I have no knowledge about the dacron graft, but at your age of 49, the likelihood of the valve lasting your lifetime is very reasonable. Mechanical valves are "built for the long haul". I was hoping to get 20 years out of mine....but it's been over 50 years so far.

They are supposed to last a lifetime and I believe that would be the expectation at your age. There are exceptions and complications can happen that necessitate reoperation, but it seems that the norm is for them to last many decades and that it would probably outlive you. Are you also considering a biological valve, or are you 100% going with the mechanical?

What is the real expected lifespan of an ascending aorta dacron graft and on-x mechanical valve (assuming no other illnesess). I'm 49 and the surgeon seems to imply for life is this a realiatic expectation? I have severe stenotic bicuspid Aortic Valve with root and ascending aorta dilation but I'm asymptomatic.
In short John, who knows. Of course the valve will last as long as we do (that is for life) If you have time to read it, this Swedish national study of longevity following aortic valve surgery showed that, overall, life expectancy declined by about two years, but was higher for patients younger than 50 years of age. Life Expectancy After Aortic Valve Replacement

I worried and worried and searched the internet for months over this question. In the end I try to put it out of my mind. I remain zen, eat well more or less no red meat, no junk food, 40 mins fast walking a day, I drink red wine and give as much love to others as I can. Keep on ticking. All the best for 2021 Peace and love Kabalino

My father has a St Jude mechanical that is still going after 35 years, so I’d consider that the bileaflet mechanicals are pretty well bullet proof and life proof too lol

I promise and can say with 100% guaranteed or your money back certainty, that it will last a lifetime!

See what I did there? Cause if it fails.....

Never mind.

I’ve been ticking away since I was just shy of 18. I’ve had a graft since I was 36. I’m 48 now. I try to keep everyone posted, but so far so good!

I have Sjork Shiely aortic valve, 35 years completed, Thank God
2019 replaced mitral also
Now on 56 years

What is the real expected lifespan of an ascending aorta dacron graft and on-x mechanical valve
about the normal lifespan for an "ordinary" person of that age and other fitness levels.

You'll do well to ignore the fluff about On-X anticoagulation and follow the normal INR target of 2.5.

When you get through it come back and ask questions on Anticoagulation Management

See you then mate

Latest posts

Back