Working overtime may harm the heart

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/11/overtime.heart.work/index.html

The next time your boss tells you to work overtime stick this in his face.

Maybe I'm the exception! From Nov. of 95 to Jan of 04 I worked 60 to 84 hours a week as a machinist/metal fabricator/pipe fitter! I still found time to go to the gym on the way home to lift weights and aerobic exercise. I wasn't over weight, didn't smoke or drink, and ate right! My question would be how many people that had heart attacks from working overtime didn't take care of themselves, and therefore couldn't stand the long hours. However I did have a 7.5 cm aortic root and badly leaking aortic valve. When doing the angio before my surgery in August of 08 they found that my coronary arteries were completely clear. They thought that was good for a 69 year old male. Today I am going strong and still am a "gym rat". Yes, I did have a life from 95 to 04 as I loved my work and was fueling my retirement, which I enjoy today!

Maybe I'm the exception! From Nov. of 95 to Jan of 04 I worked 60 to 84 hours a week as a machinist/metal fabricator/pipe fitter! I still found time to go to the gym on the way home to lift weights and aerobic exercise. I wasn't over weight, didn't smoke or drink, and ate right! My question would be how many people that had heart attacks from working overtime didn't take care of themselves, and therefore couldn't stand the long hours. However I did have a 7.5 cm aortic root and badly leaking aortic valve. When doing the angio before my surgery in August of 08 they found that my coronary arteries were completely clear. They thought that was good for a 69 year old male. Today I am going strong and still am a "gym rat". Yes, I did have a life from 95 to 04 as I loved my work and was fueling my retirement, which I enjoy today!

Fully agree with you!
I had Aortic Stenosis for 10 years before replacement, worked a high stress job and if the plant went down, worked till it was online. And like you, I wasn't overweight, didn't smoke or drink. Also jogged 3 miles everyday. I retired, year later had a bleeding ulcer... the doctor said the ulcer was caused from retiring too young. :D
I don't believe anything CNN says.

I guess if one was to listen to CNN, all the woman of the world should have some kind of heart problem.

Think about it. In labor for 18 hours or more - you want to talk about work.

Works for 8 hours comes home makes supper, throws a load of wash in, feed's the family then off to swimming classes or what ever, comes home put's the load into the dryer, puts the kids in the tub/bed, makes the lunches, has a shower, folds the clothes then it's off to bed herself. That could a 15 hour day.

Just food for thought.

In the 46 years on the job I worked a whole lot of overtime, many 80 hr weeks, and very high stress as well.
I think the article is really silly in this day and age.
First hopefully you HAVE a job, and if you are lucky enough to work overtime get out and celebrate!
But if you are laid off or terminated, then I beleive you have a real chance of having a heart attack !!
Rich

This is why I do my 37.5 hours a week, and then I'm out the door. I used to do 24x7 on-call 1 week in 3, but managed to get that stopped post-surgery.

Ade

being entrepreneur at heart and really taking my work seriously, must say that this news and thread is amusing to me.

am a believer in "do what needs doing" to help clients and co-workers...believe that time invested is an investment and can work a 14 hour day if that is what is required...but have channels to unwind when permits

work is for me one the reasons to be, is that workaholic...not sure, but get gratification and well being from that as well

can understand the 37.5 hour week, as my wife adheres to that and it works for her

we are all different, but work is an extension of my life and as long as it is challenging and rewarding it keeps me young

we all tick to a different heartbeat and I am firm believer that it is quality of life, not quantity of life that is important to me

but it is important to have life other than work as well

the post and responses are a nice distraction, though (grin)

Gil

Back