Working out after Mitral Valve Repair? Triathlons anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scg

I've recently been diagnosed with severe mitral valve regurgitation during a usual checkup and subsequent stress test and TEE. Heart Cath showed no blockages so that's good, but obviously been told I need a repair. Up until 2009 I was a active triathlete and still ride my bike 3 to 4 times a week even now. I still do the 200 mile rides at the MS Tour every year. I'm interested in hearing from other athletes that have had repair surgery and what their abilities were after the fact. I'm a 51 year old male. Hoping to be riding again as soon as I'm able, and hoping to compete...but don't know if it's possible or not? Any info would be appreciated from similar patients.

I can't help you here, because I was nowhere close to a triathlete before my symptoms showed up. All I can say is I was cleared to try anything at my one-year checkup, although the anything for me is something like a brisk walk, a nice ride on my bike. I'll try kayaking again on our trip to Florida next month and see how that feels on the repaired chest.

Go to the Active Lifestyles & Cardiac Rehab section of these forums. You'll read about all that the serious athletes among us are doing after their surgeries. They are back to very vigorous training and participating in all the activities they did pre-surgery.

It is very encouraging for someone to read those posts.
(Click the drop down menu - Heart Talk - from this page to navigate to Active Lifestyles.)

I think a mini is a 4" or so down the chest. I think this is different from a mini thoracotomy which is an incision through the right ribs.

For what it's worth, SCG, I have yet to hear of any reasons to not be active post-surgery (outside of case-specific, doctor-determined limitations). VR.org members have certainly done triathlons, marathons, and just about everything else you can think of. There's healing to be done, which does take time and patience, but you'll be cruising that MS Tour again. Welcome, and we're looking forward to hearing about your great races.

While I am your age, I'm sure I'm not quite the athlete. I do like to ride as well. I think your condition is similar to mine based on what you wrote. My cardiologist said that after surgery, you'll just notice how much better you'll feel doing the same things. Using an actual cycling example, a year prior to surgery, I struggled to get up a 3 mile hill at a 10% grade. Probably made it 75%. The year after surgery, I made it up slowly but steady hardly huffing in fact just breathing through my nose. The difference was incredible. I guess it's like when you first wear glasses. You think your eyesight is good. Then you put on the glasses and realize all that you weren't seeing. I road 10 miles on the one month anniversary of my surgery. It felt good.

I've recently been diagnosed with severe mitral valve regurgitation during a usual checkup and subsequent stress test and TEE. Heart Cath showed no blockages so that's good, but obviously been told I need a repair. Up until 2009 I was a active triathlete and still ride my bike 3 to 4 times a week even now. I still do the 200 mile rides at the MS Tour every year. I'm interested in hearing from other athletes that have had repair surgery and what their abilities were after the fact. I'm a 51 year old male. Hoping to be riding again as soon as I'm able, and hoping to compete...but don't know if it's possible or not? Any info would be appreciated from similar patients.

From what I have read and from diagrams I have seen, they only split part of the sternum, and they leave the other part intact.

That's it precisely. For my MVR, they cut my sternum from the bottom up about halfway (second intercostal space is their technical term), then went across to open my up.
They also cut an inch or so below the bottom for some of the tubes. Even when my scar was new, no one ever noticed it when I wore V necked shirts. The cut for an AVR is from the top of the sternum down (3rd intercostal), so those patients will have a bit more visible scar. But mine has faded away pretty well in the past year.

Wow...all great answers and encouraging. I've actually felt better these last few days now that my blood pressure is under control. I have my first appointment with a heart surgeon next week. This morning I rode 12 miles and felt fine...although I'm not pushing like i used to. Going for endurance rather than speed. My MS Bike tour team is already starting our training rides, so looking forward to doing that ride in September even if it's at half speed...or perhaps half distance. This is a great resource.

Wow...all great answers and encouraging. I've actually felt better these last few days now that my blood pressure is under control. I have my first appointment with a heart surgeon next week. This morning I rode 12 miles and felt fine...although I'm not pushing like i used to. Going for endurance rather than speed. My MS Bike tour team is already starting our training rides, so looking forward to doing that ride in September even if it's at half speed...or perhaps half distance. This is a great resource.

Just to let you know, I was on a BP medication before and after surgery always controlled. The surgery may not mean that you will be med free.

After repair, no restrictions

After repair, no restrictions

Hi, I had severe MVR which led to a robotically assisted repair when I was 43 (Go Cleveland Clinic!) and, although not a serious athlete like you, I was able to begin a very vigorous workout routine using a trainer within 60 days. Lots of cardio and strength training. No restrictions. Fortunately, the successful surgery allowed me to go off the bp meds, too. Within a half year I was in better shape than I could ever remember. You should definitely follow the guidelines, but be optimistic that you'll compete again.

Welcome! While I had AVR, I think your recovery from MVR will be similar. I ran a marathon 9 months post op, have run 2 more, including the Goofy Challenge at Disneyworld in 2010. There is a road race biking champion or 2 over at cardiac athletes. Check that site out also.

I still do the 200 mile rides at the MS Tour every year. I'm interested in hearing from other athletes that have had repair surgery and what their abilities were after the fact. I'm a 51 year old male. Hoping to be riding again as soon as I'm able, and hoping to compete...but don't know if it's possible or not? Any info would be appreciated from similar patients.

Hi scg

I had my MV repaired in 2002. I was sliding toward heart failure at the time. I never really got a horsepower pickup, but I've been stable since then, and I don't require any cardiac meds. "Compete?" Not me - but I can "participate." Completed four Ironman events since surgery, but they were loooong days. If all goes well for you, you should at least be no worse off in terms of performance, and maybe better off. No reason to to believe you wont be able to continue what you enjoy.

Best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Back